Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003

I was going to say that if we went 'no deal' then you'd be in with the amount of building work going on, but then I remembered that you've never actually done hard work and relied on benefits. Oh well never mind, let's get rid of those foreigners :)

*edit* seem to remember a lot of your 'friends' coming to your defence last time we went this way

Jan 30, 2008
Yep, top link :thumbsup:

"David Davis's resignation was met with a collective shrug of the shoulders in Brussels on Monday. "How can we miss a man who was never here?", one EU source commented to me. The Brexit secretary made one visit to Brussels in the last four months."

We should rebrand the two actual leavers with JRM as the three shitgibbons. Say-only-evil, do-fvck-all and dress-like-a-Victorian-sexpest
touchy...………. something you're worried about , respect for sticking to their guns, after all the vote was to leave bye bye EU
regards
DR

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
But there's a critical additional recent reason for Corbyn's stance, touched on by [MENTION=1200]Harry Wilson's tackle[/MENTION].

Labour's shock 40% good showing at the last General Election, was analysed by a team of political scientists from across several universities. The swing they achieved was through mopping up millions of UKIP voters, by promising a full EU exit.

Corbyn and McDonnell are not going to throw their chances of winning the next election and the one after that, by ditching their explicit message to those key voters.

The election will not be decided in Islington, Hackney, Kemp Town and Lambeth, but in those key marginals in the Midlands and North, where there's very strong anti-EU and anti-immigration sentiment.

Perhaps, but Corbyn and McDonnell's hand may be dictated to by collective policy decisions made at Conference, particularly if Len McCluskey and other union big-wigs have a view on things - see Trident.

Jan 30, 2008
I was going to say that if we went 'no deal' then you'd be in with the amount of building work going on, but then I remembered that you've never actually done hard work and relied on benefits. Oh well never mind, let's get rid of those foreigners :)

*edit* seem to remember a lot of your 'friends' coming to your defence last time we went this way
keep believing , I got slated for saying we would win the referendum result ,you can slate me on this as well but deep down you know we're out and a strong chance of a no deal, hey ho life goes on chin up
regards
DR

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Yep, top link [emoji106]

"David Davis's resignation was met with a collective shrug of the shoulders in Brussels on Monday. "How can we miss a man who was never here?", one EU source commented to me. The Brexit secretary made one visit to Brussels in the last four months."

We should rebrand the two actual leavers with JRM as the three shitgibbons. Say-only-evil, do-fvck-all and dress-like-a-Victorian-sexpest
It is a good link. The question must be, what has Davis actually done since he was made Brexit sectary? Apart from smarming around talking bollocks on TV, it seems he's done absolutely nothing. Then this "plan" is unveiled, he agrees it and then he jumps ship.

Shouldn't it have been HIS JOB to help formulate the plan? What a total waste of oxygen and our money he had proved to be. As predicted. The ****.

Jan 30, 2008
It is a good link. The question must be, what has Davis actually done since he was made Brexit sectary? Apart from smarming around talking bollocks on TV, it seems he's done absolutely nothing. Then this "plan" is unveiled, he agrees it and then he jumps ship.

Shouldn't it have been HIS JOB to help formulate the plan? What a total waste of oxygen and our money he had proved to be. As predicted. The ****.
send him an email ?:dunce:
regards
DR

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
The reason why BREXIT is in the state it is in is because nobody knew the fine detail nor the complexity of undoing 40 years of integration nor the REAL cost of doing this. I cannot believe people (other than the small minority who WILL gain enormously) would have voted for this shambles and it was always going to be one because no one had a clear definition of the outcome.

This nonsense about democratic voice of the people is also pure opportunism and a better PM than Cameron (pick any that preceded him) would have steered round it. We are a Parliamentary Democracy and that has been rode rough shod by both a minority (but powerful) section within the Tory Party and a Labour Leader who really is growing into a nice autocrat.

It is time for the sensible members within Labour, Tory and Liberal Parties to take the initiative and form a broad centralist part which puts the interests of the majority of the British people first and that includes stopping the shambles and try to repair the damage.

Jan 30, 2008
The reason why BREXIT is in the state it is in is because nobody knew the fine detail nor the complexity of undoing 40 years of integration nor the REAL cost of doing this. I cannot believe people (other than the small minority who WILL gain enormously) would have voted for this shambles and it was always going to be one because no one had a clear definition of the outcome.

This nonsense about democratic voice of the people is also pure opportunism and a better PM than Cameron (pick any that preceded him) would have steered round it. We are a Parliamentary Democracy and that has been rode rough shod by both a minority (but powerful) section within the Tory Party and a Labour Leader who really is growing into a nice autocrat.

It is time for the sensible members within Labour, Tory and Liberal Parties to take the initiative and form a broad centralist part which puts the interests of the majority of the British people first and that includes stopping the shambles and try to repair the damage.
A BIT LIKE THE COMMON AGRICULTURAL POLICY :dunce:
regards
DR

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
No, no no. Corbyn is leader because utter clowns in the PLP thought it would be 'nice' to have a left winger on the leadership slate. Once he was on the slate, the idiotic constitution created by Milliband gave the constutuency parties too much influence on the outcome and, like tory constituncy parties, these are deeply 'conservative' (old skool, reactionary) and the momentum hegemony was born.

There is nothing radical about Corbyn's labour party. It is old fashioned and reactionary, made incoherent by the deluded rainbow yoof element who actually think they have found a political home, and bolster it. I agree with those who expect a Corbyn labour government to unravel within a couple of weeks. I'd love to think he's competant, but I simply don't. His Brexit stance is the exemplar. Why isn't he being clear, now, about how he will navigate a good deal? Because he doesn't have a clue.

Agree with all of that

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yep, top link :thumbsup:

isnt that source a touch disingenous? Barnier setout the schedule of negotiations and the only person allowed to have negotiations. what would Davis do other than antgonise negotiations being accused of trying to conduct secondary meetings? what he did in negotiations and in between needs to be examined though.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

This would be far too sensible for the self serving, fingernail clingers who are the majority of MPs. Not helped by our screwed voting/political system which means that decent MPs (and yes there are quite a few) have to toe the party line on stuff that they actually detest.

This is only going to get worse until people who are in power grow some balls and tell the truth (hmm). Or people who have a chance of being in power do the same, knowing that they're probably falling on a sword in the short term for the long term good of the country.

None of that being likely until we're all really ****ed and the only people celebrating are hedge fund managers, really rich people and brain dead halfwits like the fairy.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Perhaps, but Corbyn and McDonnell's hand may be dictated to by collective policy decisions made at Conference, particularly if Len McCluskey and other union big-wigs have a view on things - see Trident.

Although I don't obsess with NSC's political and EU threads, I'm always versed on current affairs so I am aware of the Trident issue. The construction of nuclear-armed submarines is another unlikely situation on the left, where the 10,000's jobs override what would normally be an anti-Nato/CND/Russia's--alright-actually line of reasoning.

The key to the planning of Corbyn and Co is the votes of those ex-UKIP people in the Midlands/North marginals. If they are to get the opportunity to give the UK a high taxation/high spending Government, they desparately need those votes and seats. Otherwise it will likely be hung Parliaments for some time to come, and the chance will be lost.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
That Caroline Lucas has kept saying the same thing and has seemed to stick by his principles throughout this whole complete clusterf*** ???

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I see no ships, only feckin hardships.

article-P-37979416-f9bc-4b49-837c-ddda436b6b54-6T1V5hqhqHSK2-153_634x356.jpg

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Although I don't obsess with NSC's political and EU threads, I'm always versed on current affairs so I am aware of the Trident issue. The construction of nuclear-armed submarines is another unlikely situation on the left, where the 10,000's jobs override what would normally be an anti-Nato/CND/Russia's--alright-actually line of reasoning.

The key to the planning of Corbyn and Co is the votes of those ex-UKIP people in the Midlands/North marginals. If they are to get the opportunity to give the UK a high taxation/high spending Government, they desparately need those votes and seats. Otherwise it will likely be hung Parliaments for some time to come, and the chance will be lost.

They need those seats, but they also need seat gains in Scotland and elsewhere. Aside from whatever motions Momentum and a pro-EU membership may put forward at conference, the Unions and their members will have a view on things too, particularly in regards to single market access and jobs in Labour constituencies that may be negatively affected by how things go under the Tories - it's a very difficult balancing act they face.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I really don't think you actually do, no matter what you think. For a start your user name puts you at least at 50 years old, maybe much more. How many 18-30 year olds do you deal with on a daily basis? I'm in my late 40s and most of my friends' kids are older than mine, plus I work for a company that actively recruits from university, yet, for me, the answer would be less than a handful.

We exist in echo chambers. We deliberately seek out those who we approve of and approve of us. I play poker regularly with seven other blokes. They range from a Green Party activist to a Tory stockbroker but ALL of us are remainers to a man. The only Brexiteer who came lasted one game and it wasn't our choice not to invite him back. We try desparately to keep politics off the running thread on here - in fact it's a banning offence - and still I gravitate to the remainers in that group.

Conversely, the same little group on here turns up on every single politics thread pushing the cause of libertarian / anti Muslim / Brexit /alt right view points. They may say that's paranoid but Pastafarian, AlfredMizen, Looney, JC Football Genius, ppf, the Gem and GT49er never, ever disappoint.

The fact is it was very nearly 50-50 and when you take no-shows in to account the country was split virtually in half. Since then it has proven impossible to leave on terms that suit anyone. If this wasn't the case leaving would be easy. If all of us thought the way Pasta, GT, JC and Alf think this would be deal done already. But we don't. The country is torn down the middle and that's the precise issue.

Nice try Poirot, and I don't disagree with much of what you say. But this wasn't a view from my personal echo chamber, more from my working one which is regularly refreshed from a pool of 3/400 from 18 to 80. I'm not a political animal and I'm split virtually in half too. I have an arts half and a science half, a Remain half and a Leave half. I see value in both sides and voted to Remain because my sons wanted it. So actually I'm probably an individual who confirms your view precisely, all on my own.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here