Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Yeh? You need to check your facts before making silly statements like that!

I mistook Goldene for Goldstone, I apologise :bowdown:

We don't agree on the much, except for the fact that Brexit isn't a right/left thing

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I quite agree with you about May has indeed been handed the shittiest stick since Winny (although Winny triumphed in the end, didn't he?) - but I find it perverse that you cannot accept that the blame for our difficulties lies fair and square with the majority of politicians at Westminster (the remain supporters) who have spent the last two years, by fair means and foul, to hamper and hinder Mrs. May and the Brexit process every step of the way.
Leave voting politicians are mostly on the outside looking in as far as the negotiations are concerned, so can hardly be blamed for the difficulties. Perhaps they could do a better job (and maybe they'd like to). They certainly could (and so probably could TM) if the Westminster remainers took the same reasonable stance as you and - albeit reluctantly - accepted the referendum result and stopped endlessly trying to hamstring our negotiations.

Check out the cost of that victory.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
What purpose do sarcastic statements such as this serve?

Clearly, most people care about passport colour. You are trying to imply that it's something that leavers care about, a significant benefit to leaving the EU (even though we didn't need to leave the EU to do it) - but in reality, it's not something that's important to most. It's a trivial issue.

That sort of tactic does nothing for good, reasoned debate. And it's certainly no way to persuade anyone to change their mind.

Quite honestly, I couldn't give a toss about 'reasoned debate'. As a remoaner I find most arguments of the leavers to be too ludicrous for words, so, my defence against the insanity of leaving, as encouraged by Gove ,Rees Mogg, Johnson, Fox, the Mail, Express, Sun, Telegraph, et al is sarcasm and ridicule. For 40 odd years, weve had leavers of different ilks pushing falsehoods of various magnitude about the EU, well, i reckon we have about 38 years of living up to our remoaner nickname.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Indeed, most of England voted to leave, it's only really London and the surrounds and Brighton and a few other small pockets that voted to remain. Look at a map of voter results and London and Brighton really are not representative of the rest of the country.

This is complete bollocks unfortunately. In many of the areas the vote was (just like nationally) very close. To say that those areas "voted leave" is rubbish. Here in Sheffield the vote was split pretty much the same as the total vote. So around 170,000 people didn't get what they wanted but around 170,000 did.

Really winds me up when crap like this is regurgitated to make it look as if everyone outside London and Brighton voted Leave.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
This is complete bollocks unfortunately. In many of the areas the vote was (just like nationally) very close. To say that those areas "voted leave" is rubbish. Here in Sheffield the vote was split pretty much the same as the total vote. So around 170,000 people didn't get what they wanted but around 170,000 did.

Really winds me up when crap like this is regurgitated to make it look as if everyone outside London and Brighton voted Leave.

I only quoted it because some of the remainers on here keep comparing it to a general election for some reason.

The only result that matters is that we voted to leave.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Yet they the MPs overwhelmingly voted to do just that. Give the decision making over to us plebs. We decided, didn't we and so we leave.

Oh, you're quite right, a decision to pacify the Leaver rump of the Tory party, and stop them desserting to Ukip. I also know MOs voted for the referendum 6-1, but, i still can't understand why.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

So it's rubbish to say that areas that by a majority voted to leave "voted leave"? Brilliant.

Anyway, Giraffe is mostly correct. London, Scotland and NI are the outliers.

3.png

If you look at the constituency breakdown, there's not much remain outside these areas: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resul...ean_Union_membership_referendum,_2016#England

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If we do crash out, it won't just be the Tory party that will never be the same again, it will be the country. I cannot see the United Kingdom surviving this, a huge issue with the Irish border and it will tip the balance for the Scots to go it alone.

Giving Scotland its own Parliament and Northern Ireland and Wales their Assemblies has created a dynamic that didn't exist before. The Scottish Independence matter might have dissipated were it not for the Brexit vote, and Northern Ireland must themselves be thinking twice after voting to Remain and seeing their Assembly disbanded for more than a year and a half with the DUP in coalition with the Tories.

There doesn't seem to be much that genuinely unites this kingdom other than the Royal Family. I see Geraint Thomas won the Tour de France yesterday, but no sign of a Union Flag - just the Welsh Dragon on display. I think sporting success in the football, the rugby has boosted Welsh confidence and they deserve it.

Brexit was meant to be about Britain taking back control but because the negotiations have been such a shambles and the country split over the vote I think Britain itself is all the weaker for it.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Please read what I actually wrote.

I did read it. You accused someone else of talking bollocks (when his post was largely correct), and then proceeded to talk bollocks yourself.

Did most constituencies outside NI, Scotland and London vote leave? Yes. That it was close in some of those constituencies doesn't alter that. Plus, as you can see from the image I posted, for a lot of areas it was pretty comfortable. Of course not everyone outside of London and areas like Brighton voted leave in England (and he didn't say everyone), but that's largely the case.

jfs

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
It was seriously stupid to have a vote on something so complicated and important without requiring a super-majority (60% or 67%). Recipe for division and chaos.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Daddies_Sauce

Falmer WSL, not a JCL
Jun 27, 2008
Nobody really knew and understood all that they were voting for, many areas coming out now were not even mentioned at the time, 'losing' a democratic vote would have been fair enough, but being lied too (politicians lie?) is far more difficult to accept. Bonkers Boris, Gormless Grove and F'wit Farrage should hang their heads in shame (but they will not).

In the unlikely event that there was a second vote, then my ballot paper would be marked the sames as the first time around, Remain.

DataPoint

Mar 31, 2015
Leavers refuse to participate in a "double or quits" vote. (Nothing to gain, everything to loose.) - so don't vote. - Many remainers don't vote also because it's pointless voting for what will be judged an illegal election.(Catalonia). Result:- 12 million remainers - 2 million leavers is meaningless (too low, distorted turnout). Back to square one!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here