Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thanks couldn't recall who it was, maybe best to scale down a little

A pleasure.

He's not been around for a few days. I think he's still marvelling at his discovery that jet planes can fly very fast and can get from Berlin to the AMEX in around 2 and a half hours. Gotta love his wide eyed innocence; it's cute.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I know I've raised this before (and been castigated by the Brexiteers), but can anyone explain to me how we are going to fly to any EU country after we quit? I ask the question (a) because I'm in the aviation industry, and (b) because it's pretty fundamental to our future. No one I have come across to date (lawyers, consultants, staff at DfT, airline industry experts) have been able to explain how we get aviation access to the EU post Brexit. The obvious answer is that we do a deal, but the rest of the EU can ask for HUGE concessions elsewhere, as they know we will need to be able to fly to EU countries. This is what (in my view) is so crazy about this whole Brexit thing - we immediately provide just about every bargaining chip to the other side. And, if Mrs May comes back to Parliament in two years' time with a deal that's rejected, then we are out - with no rights to fly to EU countries. I realise this is a relatively minor issue for Brexiteers, who will be happy to just "get back control". However, for the rest of us it's quite a serious matter!

I was trying to think of some footballing consequences, to perhaps give the issue some relevance on NSC. My guess is that British teams would no longer be able to partake in the Champions League, given that it would be almost impossible to travel to away games (train/coach transport would just take too long). Or perhaps the likes of Chelsea, Man City, etc would have two teams - one permanently stationed somewhere in the EU....

I know these practical issues are subjects that Brexiteers don't want to think about, but some time soon we will all have to start facing up to a very different way of life. Let's hope global warming arrives soon, and we can happily exchange the Costa del Sol for the glories of Scarborough and Bridlington. Or maybe we all go on holiday to India (which I see is a favoured trading partner on here).

Not sure Jim you would really appreciate any response from brexiters all over again regarding your concerns.

How about we pass this over to some legitimate real remainers for their input instead.
[MENTION=12947]Lincoln Imp[/MENTION] [MENTION=20527]studio150[/MENTION] [MENTION=23343]Baldseagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] [MENTION=25549]5ways[/MENTION]

Can you boys help a brother out?
Because there will no longer be any flights from the UK to Europe or Europe to the UK post brexit Jim is worried our big footy clubs will need to diversify and have two teams like Chelsea UK and Chelsea EU if they wish to compete in The Champions League as the inevitable long coach journeys are impractical for the UK branch of the club. ( not sure which domestic league Chelsea EU are competing in but we can iron out little things like that later)

Anything you boys can say to reassure him or even if appropriate, confirm his worries?
Could he fly for example to another non EU country and then fly into Europe to circumnavigate the direct ban on cross border flights or are those airlines in other non EU countries getting canned post brexit too (oops soz about that, should have thought things through), or maybe sneak into France with the help of the resistance and then get an internal EU flight….or will that be just too impractical, especially if it’s a whole squad going in cognito dressed in orange tracksuits?

Poor old Jim in the west has raised his concerns but the lawyers, consultants, staff at DfT, and airline industry experts are all ignoring him for some baffling reason.

So come on chaps don’t leave a brother hanging. Show him you care and help out.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not sure Jim you would really appreciate any response from brexiters all over again regarding your concerns.

How about we pass this over to some legitimate real remainers for their input instead.

[MENTION=12947]Lincoln Imp[/MENTION] [MENTION=20527]studio150[/MENTION] [MENTION=23343]Baldseagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=409]Herr Tubthumper[/MENTION] [MENTION=25549]5ways[/MENTION]

Can you boys help a brother out?
Because there will no longer be any flights from the UK to Europe or Europe to the UK post brexit Jim is worried our big footy clubs will need to diversify and have two teams like Chelsea UK and Chelsea EU if they wish to compete in The Champions League as the inevitable long coach journeys are impractical for the UK branch of the club. ( not sure which domestic league Chelsea EU are competing in but we can iron out little things like that later)

Anything you boys can say to reassure him or even if appropriate, confirm his worries?
Could he fly for example to another non EU country and then fly into Europe to circumnavigate the direct ban on cross border flights or are those airlines in other non EU countries getting canned post brexit too (oops soz about that, should have thought things through), or maybe sneak into France with the help of the resistance and then get an internal EU flight….or will that be just too impractical, especially if it’s a whole squad going in cognito dressed in orange tracksuits?

Poor old Jim in the west has raised his concerns but the lawyers, consultants, staff at DfT, and airline industry experts are all ignoring him for some baffling reason.

So come on chaps don’t leave a brother hanging. Show him you care and help out.

Not patronising at all then?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Little question for all the know it alls on this thread who are so sure we are all going to be peachy coming out of the Eu.

Assuming that there " may" not be an agreement as to the rights of Eu citizens to remain in the U.K., what happens to the millions of Irish people in this country? After all they will be Eu citizens, not United Kingdom citizens. Will they all be sent home in the same way as people are expecting the poles etc being deported?

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
We can currently live in one of 28 countries, not for much longer though due to the close mindedness of some
Can you tell me the lotto numbers for the weekend too..... you are amazing obviously.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Can you tell me the lotto numbers for the weekend too..... you are amazing obviously.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

With Brexit there is enough gambling going on, sorry I am enable to assist

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Something that i am confused about. The Scots/SNP want independence, they are Nationalists, the Lefties on this board abore the English nationalists......yet show their support for the Scottish views on independence and EU stance.........strange.

By definition this is not aimed at me but as a centrist Remainer can I just say I support the wishes of all countries to express their identities and live peaceful lives in our interconnected world. This is true of all nations, including those of the UK.

Having said that, there are issues, as we all know, over the direction English nationalism has often taken. It has sometimes seemed inseparable from the ranting aggression of the marching skinheads. I was looking at a remote country church the other week, with the flag of St George fluttering on the tower. It was all so lovely and I felt rather sad that that simple image has been misappropriated. It shouldn't be this way and if the spirit of England can be invoked in gentler ways then I would be all for it. Viva England.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Little question for all the know it alls on this thread who are so sure we are all going to be peachy coming out of the Eu.

Assuming that there " may" not be an agreement as to the rights of Eu citizens to remain in the U.K., what happens to the millions of Irish people in this country? After all they will be Eu citizens, not United Kingdom citizens. Will they all be sent home in the same way as people are expecting the poles etc being deported?

I might be wrong and I haven't googled but I always thought there was a separate agreement covering the rights of the Irish to live and vote in the UK. (Why Brexiters aren't appalled by this assault on our borders I'm not sure but that's another question.)

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
By definition this is not aimed at me but as a centrist Remainer can I just say I support the wishes of all countries to express their identities and live peaceful lives in our interconnected world. This is true of all nations, including those of the UK.

Having said that, there are issues, as we all know, over the direction English nationalism has often taken. It has sometimes seemed inseparable from the ranting aggression of the marching skinheads. I was looking at a remote country church the other week, with the flag of St George fluttering on the tower. It was all so lovely and I felt rather sad that that simple image has been misappropriated. It shouldn't be this way and if the spirit of England can be invoked in gentler ways then I would be all for it. Viva England.

A small minority and a get out clause used to blame the majority that are proud of their country.
The left has used this "skinhead" excuse to the max. Meanwhile other countries can fly their flag with no interference.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For anyone who loves this country, as I do, It's tragic to see what is happening to it right now. Tearing itself apart, probably going to lose long established unions like Scotland, rise of the right wing, rise of racism, no strong leaders, the leaders that did this ran off, we are now in the weakest trading position we have faced in history, the likes of the US and China are going to crucify us in trade deals, we will likely be set adrift with no deals with Europe in place or very one sided at best.
Labour is a joke, May is an innefectual default PM, Farage was partly responsible for conning a small majority into landing us in this state and now he's a laughing stock across the pond and in Europe.
Anyone that thinks a conservative government is going to restore manafacturing in the U.K. is deluded, they were the ones that systematically dismantled it in the 70's and 80's. they don't care it'll be cheap Chinese steel all the way. The withdrawal of EU funding that once propped up
our industry will see the few remaining strongholds of UK manufacturing wither and die.
What a mess. And it's a legacy decision so there's no way out of it for decades.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
For anyone who loves this country, as I do, It's tragic to see what is happening to it right now. Tearing itself apart, probably going to lose long established unions like Scotland, rise of the right wing, rise of racism, no strong leaders, the leaders that did this ran off, we are now in the weakest trading position we have faced in history, the likes of the US and China are going to crucify us in trade deals, we will likely be set adrift with no deals with Europe in place or very one sided at best.
Labour is a joke, May is an innefectual default PM, Farage was partly responsible for conning a small majority into landing us in this state and now he's a laughing stock across the pond and in Europe.
Anyone that thinks a conservative government is going to restore manafacturing in the U.K. is deluded, they were the ones that systematically dismantled it in the 70's and 80's. they don't care it'll be cheap Chinese steel all the way. The withdrawal of EU funding that once propped up
our industry will see the few remaining strongholds of UK manufacturing wither and die.
What a mess. And it's a legacy decision so there's no way out of it for decades.

Exactly how I feel, and just 5 years after the London Olympics when we seemed such an open, inclusive and forward looking people. I was so proud to be British back then.

Who'd have thought that, such a short time later, everything that I held dear would have been ripped away?

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Exactly how I feel, and just 5 years after the London Olympics when we seemed such an open, inclusive and forward looking people. I was so proud to be British back then.

Who'd have thought that, such a short time later, everything that I held dear would have been ripped away?

Exactly. And to top it all, leave voters are highly unlikely to get anywhere near the vision of the UK they thought they were voting for (those that had a thought). What a waste of everything we hold dear.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
No doubt my last post will illicit the predictable "bedwetting" "remoaner" cliches from brexiters. However do they recall some of the bedwetting tripe wheeled out by Farage and the leave campaign. Embarrassing. Either way none of the leave voters on here are ever going to admit they ****ed up.

Like I say, a mess. A sad, regrettable mess.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A small minority and a get out clause used to blame the majority that are proud of their country.
The left has used this "skinhead" excuse to the max. Meanwhile other countries can fly their flag with no interference.

I think you'll find you can also fly our flag with no interference too. Your ill thought out ranting is thing short of Muslims ban Christmas!

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Suggest a 2nd Referendum and 'Leavers' become apoplectic.
Obviously, they have no confidence in winning it.
The way the Tories rolled this out was pretty lame really, and will cause decades of problems imo

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here