Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Nigel Evans on the radio right now, repeatedly saying things like "it's in the best interest of the Conservative party and the DUP" to postpone the vote - As if we didn't already know that this entire mess is down to the personal ambitions and self interest of the Tories, they really are absolute scum

did he explain why, or is that your point. dont really see anyone benefits from delay and nothing is going to change, even if there was a tweak or two from EU, May would have to have a rejected agreement to take seriously. daft move.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
i meant of course the existing tariffs used on non-EU while we are part of EU. of course we can use the same tariffs, while quotas to be decided (not mixing them up?). dont know why you cant be civil about it when addressing simple questions if you have the facts to prove the point. you say it will be a disaster i simply dont know either way and thought you might have evidence rather than more speculation that has fueled so much "debate".

I am sorry for the insult, but every few weeks on this thread I have a discussion with you about some aspect of Brexit where you keep changing what you are saying. You then say that you understand, go off, talk to your mates, and come back with the exact same questions. (Or at least, that's how it seems).

I don't understand what you are saying now. All negotiations with the WTO were conducted by the largest trading bloc in the world (the EU). If we want to trade under the WTO, we cannot use what was negotiated by the EU as we are not the worlds largest trading bloc and other countries want to renegotiate based on our new position as a single state. We can either submit our own schedule and quotas or fall to the WTO defaults. We have submitted our schedules and quotas 4 months ago. One month ago, Russia stopped all our WTO negotiations. Nothing that the EU negotiated would be available to us if we leave.

You can interpret the above however you want, but we will find out for certain in the next few weeks :shrug:

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, yes I have.

But I wouldn't get hung up on it as we will know who was right within the next few weeks.

Maybe you should ask these people you know who are involved in trade why Russia has done what it has to scupper our WTO submissions ?
Russia wants to crash our economy to cripple our military spending ???

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Vote or no vote the fact is its a mess

Mrs May has made error after error

1. Went for a General Election to obtain a mandate from the public to push ahead with Brexit
2. Enacted Artical 50 with no clear plan for how to start the negotiations or where they would go
3. Such poor preparation for a no deal and the preparation that has been started was left far to late
4. Terrable over estimation as to the numbers of Tories who would support hard Brexit
5. Putting hard Brexitees in positions to run the negotiations and then not sacking them early (David Davis turning up first meeting with a pencil and note pad while the EU turn up armed with all sorts of documents) ( Boris Johnson insults other nations ) ( Dr Fox in a role that does not exist and cannot exist until 29th March 2019)
6. Repeatedly having to be dragged through the courts to provide information, agree on meaningful vote
7. Doing a £1 billion deal with the DUP where is the democracy here
8. Not having a national debate after the referendum where the question would have been ok so we are leaving let's all discuss how what do we want instead any debate was very in wood within a very select Tory group

I voted stay but accept the result but where within the options (Mrs Mays or no deal) has any national unity been taken into account, I really fear that no matter which way we now end up going stay or leave social cohesion has been fractured and riots are a real posability

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A50 was invoked by an Act of Parliament - it needs one to revoke it - that disgusting Gina Miller woman made sure that was the case.

We went into Europe via an Act of Parliament in the 70s, so that disgusting Gina Miller woman wanted to make sure it was done legally. The High Court judges agreed with her, and said the government had to consult Parliament.

Abject misogyny from you, and proving you don't know the legal implications.

Theresa May did not have to invoke Article 50 immediately. She could have said, we'll work out a plan, then invoke Article 50 and have the two years to iron out details.
She also didn't have to call a General Election.

To put any blame on Gina Miller is showing your true very nasty colours.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Nigel Evans on the radio right now, repeatedly saying things like "it's in the best interest of the Conservative party and the DUP" to postpone the vote - As if we didn't already know that this entire mess is down to the personal ambitions and self interest of the Tories, they really are absolute scum

What a difference 24 hours can make !

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
So the vote has been pulled ...... more delays making the new referendum even less likely ( good ! ) ..... and no deal still a possibility. And before Watford starts with his preaching, no deal is a possiblitiy if no decisions are made. There was an interesting article on the BBC website over the weekend that highlighted no deal could happen by default ..... regardless of the technical challenges ...... 109 days to sort a solution !

Westdene, Westdene...........There's really no need to worry. As a fellow regular on this thread, you'll know that I've always held my MP, the resplendent, multi millionaire Ms Amber Rudd (who gave a quite magnificent interview to The Times on Saturday saying she fully can relate to the challenges single mothers face on Universal Credit as she's one herself) in the highest of regard, similar to your affection for Michael Gove. Which is an amazing coincidence because:

1. The Times reports today that they're combining their beauty and brains together to ride into town as an undoubted Conservative & Unionist Party 'dream team' to clear up the trash and take us in EFTA, as Gove's former campaign manager Nick Boles has been doing the bidding on for ages now.
2. Amber Rudd has been telling any concerned constituents who ask that no deal is CATEGORICALLY not going to happen and her word is her bond. (and I'm not talking about any she might own issued as sovereign debt by Her Majesty's Government of The Commonwealth of The Bahamas.)

So as you can see, 109 days to sort a solution is nothing to worry about with them riding to the rescue. In the words of Darth Vadar Westdene - search your feelings, you know it to be true.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Me 'ead hurts

gfg.JPG

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I am sorry for the insult, but every few weeks on this thread I have a discussion with you about some aspect of Brexit where you keep changing what you are saying. You then say that you understand, go off, talk to your mates, and come back with the exact same questions. (Or at least, that's how it seems).

I don't understand what you are saying now. All negotiations with the WTO were conducted by the largest trading bloc in the world (the EU). If we want to trade under the WTO, we cannot use what was negotiated by the EU as we are not the worlds largest trading bloc and other countries want to renegotiate based on our new position as a single state. We can either submit our own schedule and quotas or fall to the WTO defaults. We have submitted our schedules and quotas 4 months ago. One month ago, Russia stopped all our WTO negotiations. Nothing that the EU negotiated would be available to us if we leave.

You can interpret the above however you want, but we will find out for certain in the next few weeks :shrug:

Ah, so you finally admit we CAN use WTO rules if we get no deal !!!!!!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

insightfull point.

as i come to terms to fact the brexiteers didnt know what they were doing and didnt have a plan, i've realised both sides are easy led by those telling them waht they want to hear, if it supports their arguement it must be true. sometimes its good idea to ask question and find out the substance.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

There are extremely painful default tariffs, but no default quotas (we need Russia to agree to play along for those)

It ain't gonna happen :smile:

(found that bookies yet ?)

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

No we can't because Russia has blocked it. We would need to negotiate to use WTO rules.

You see, either way, we cannot just act unilaterally. We have to abide by one lot or rules or another. It just happens that the EU rules are better and more flexible.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
insightfull point.

as i come to terms to fact the brexiteers didnt know what they were doing and didnt have a plan, i've realised both sides are easy led by those telling them waht they want to hear, if it supports their arguement it must be true. sometimes its good idea to ask question and find out the substance.

It wasn't meant to be insightful. There are no deafults.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
We went into Europe via an Act of Parliament in the 70s, so that disgusting Gina Miller woman wanted to make sure it was done legally. The High Court judges agreed with her, and said the government had to consult Parliament.

Abject misogyny from you, and proving you don't know the legal implications.

Theresa May did not have to invoke Article 50 immediately. She could have said, we'll work out a plan, then invoke Article 50 and have the two years to iron out details.
She also didn't have to call a General Election.

To put any blame on Gina Miller is showing your true very nasty colours.

Utter rubbish. Gina Miller 'claimed' to take her court action ( jointly with another claimant ) to ensure the law was upheld. She made constant statements that she wasn't trying to stop Brexit and that she had no desire to do so. Yet after the court found in her favour she's made more and more public appearences attacking Brexit and to self publicise herself. She's a liar ( and I know how much you like liars .... or is it only liars on the leave side you dislike ? ) - nobody remembers the name of the other claimant and it was a man. If my statement upsets you so much I'll change it to 'that digusting lying Gina Miller person'. Awful woman only out to create her own fame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here