Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Ah yes, the 50’s.

The last major remnants of the empire are lost & we become just another (broke) European country.

What do we do?

Well - we start working with our neighbours in this new continent of peace and prosperity that millions of Britons gave their lives to create in the two world wars.

Just when we need to stick together to counter the likes of Russia (Aggressive State), China (Aggressive Economy) and America (Aggressive President), we pull out.

Brexit is the singularly most stupid thing this country has ever done, no wonder Putin & Trump are so delighted with it!

Britain in weaker without Europe, Europe is weaker without Britain. No deal is a dream for Putin and Trump, we will be truly desperate for friends...

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Can it be renamed

1) In
2) Out
3) Shake it all about

Rather than the peoples vote we could call it the Hokey Cokey vote

1) Stay Another Day
2) Don't Leave Me This Way
3) Nobody's Fault But Mine

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Average household income is not usually reported, it is usually the median household income, are you confusing the two?
No, I'm not. I got the details from reports about the poster.
They are not quite the same thing, but that only highlights the misleading nature of stating it as a per household hit, I will concede that it is misleading to express it as per household.
It's not just misleading, it's wrong (unless they were stating what they measured, which they didn't).

On your second point, to say that to use the Canada model was not reasonable pre referendum, is strange. It was the middle road between Norway and WTO. Which model should have been used as a fair representation?
Well the WTO model is what would happen if we were to fail to make a deal with anyone. That's never going to happen, so bringing that into it is daft. As one of the biggest economies in the world we'd expect to get one of the best deals. We wouldn't expect a deal worse than Norway's.

What they did is pick a bad deal, act as if that's definitely what we'd get, and then report the potential loss of GDP on that bad deal as if it would affect the average household by that amount, which it wouldn't. It was lies just the same as the £350m a week for the NHS.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If we use AV for this we need to use AV in other elections. You have to be consistent.

Firstly AV was rejected by the electorate for General Elections so that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Secondly, why do you have to use the same system in elections and referendums ? Where does it say this ? Oh it doesn't !!!! That's why when a referendum is legislated for there is part of the legislation that details the voting method. For this particular topic, once you go beyond the binary options it's unfair not to use AV - otherwise one possible outcome has an unfair advantage. In this example all remainers would vote for the same option while leavers would be split across two. Hence it's a fiddled vote if it isn't AV.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Learn the difference between your and you're. It might help us understand what the **** you are trying to say

When your argument has failed, bring in the grammar police.

Because I used, your instead of you're, (when if you wanted to go one further you would have said "you are" which would have been the correct term) you felt you had to post. WOW! I can not wait for your 6th post! What a :wanker:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
For this particular topic, once you go beyond the binary options it's unfair not to use AV - otherwise one possible outcome has an unfair advantage. In this example all remainers would vote for the same option while leavers would be split across two. Hence it's a fiddled vote if it isn't AV.

You are absolutely correct. With the leave voters not knowing what it was they voted for, this is the only fair way :thumbsup:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Hypothetically spesking. What happens if, after Cabinet today, it gets out that Theresa May is serious about exiting with No Deal (as Jeremy Hunt now seesm to be having changed his tune) and a load (let's say more than 20 to shift majority) of her MPs who think this would be suicide quit the party. What happens then?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
We'll be ok folks. We'll have six weeks supply of drugs in fridges.

[tweet]1074797568993968134[/tweet]

funny thing about this is 6 weeks is beyond the shelf life and NHS guidance on how long to keep cold chain products. i.e. after that sort of time frame they will be past expiry and dumped.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
funny thing about this is 6 weeks is beyond the shelf life and NHS guidance on how long to keep cold chain products. i.e. after that sort of time frame they will be past expiry and dumped.

All of them? I know someone who has serum from her own blood and can keep it frozen for six months.
I have eye drops which are preservative free which last for six months.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
All of them? I know someone who has serum from her own blood and can keep it frozen for six months.
I have eye drops which are preservative free which last for six months.

of course not all. those product that need cold storage have shelf life anywhere from week to months, which includes manufacture and wholesaler storage. NHS having 6 weeks of capacity is arbitrary and meaningless. to add, it is in line with the general guidance to keep about that amount of stock of all products. so one imagines someone ordered up a load of fridges not considering if the target is applicable to cold products.

Last edited:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Immigration White Paper also being pushed back. Wouldn't expect that to be available until January now. Insulting, frankly.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
May's actions delaying the meaningful vote do seem to point to her forcing her party towards accepting her Deal rather than crashing out with No Deal.

All this talk of ramping up preparations for No Deal is bullshit. Real preparation is the recruiting of ten of thousands of customs officers, vets, immigration officers, border staff, building roads and lorry parks in Kent.

As for Corbyn, what a weak, ineffective leader.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Immigration White Paper also being pushed back. Wouldn't expect that to be available until January now. Insulting, frankly.

I wouldn't hold your breath on that either - it's been kicked down the road since it was first due in August of last year.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
May's actions delaying the meaningful vote do seem to point to her forcing her party towards accepting her Deal rather than crashing out with No Deal.
They'd have to be stupid to think that would happen. And her party can't get it through on their own anyway. No one in parliament wants No Deal, so they'd have to agree on an alternative, like a referendum, which would probably mean staying in the EU. Any MP who wants to leave should back her deal, the rest should probably reject it.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

All this talk of ramping up preparations for No Deal is bullshit. Real preparation is the recruiting of ten of thousands of customs officers, vets, immigration officers, border staff, building roads and lorry parks in Kent.

As for Corbyn, what a weak, ineffective leader.

yes, its about two years (!) too late, and if they had done this in the summer of 2016 the EU may have taken it all more seriously.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
They'd have to be stupid to think that would happen. And her party can't get it through on their own anyway. No one in parliament wants No Deal, so they'd have to agree on an alternative, like a referendum, which would probably mean staying in the EU. Any MP who wants to leave should back her deal, the rest should probably reject it.

And therein lies hte issue

The majority of MPs want to remain

The majority of the Country voted to leave.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here