Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
A very interesting answer (genuinely).

Can I ask what your expertise and experience is to back this scenario up?

It's simple, I understand what 'no deal' means.

But if you want some expertise and experience in this, I spent 30 years running technology companies that supplied, amongst others, the UK government, so I have significant experience of the timescales involved in implementing large scale projects with the Government. I also know there are currently no systems in place and that they cannot specify, build and test the required systems in 100 days in order to implement 'no deal' :thumbsup:

*edit* (reading that back, it's as much common sense as experience and expertise)

Last edited:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle

But if you want some expertise and experience in this, I spent 30 years running technology companies that supplied, amongst others, the UK government, so I have significant experience of the timescales involved in implementing large scale projects with the Government. I also know there are currently no systems in place and that they cannot specify, build and test the required systems in 100 days in order to implement 'no deal' :thumbsup:

*edit* (reading that back, it's as much common sense as experience and expertise)

Yes....but apart from that, what experience do you.....oh.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Claiming that the money was somehow promised to the NHS is (at best) 'a good effort'.

It was just a slogan from some of the leave campaigners. We knew that should leave win, the people responsible for that message wouldn't be running our country, so what happened next wouldn't be up to them anyway.

Some of the remainers continue to call those that disagree with them thick. When will they realise that this tactic really does them no good at all? Just throwing insults doesn't bring people round to your way of thinking. Instead you'd be better served highlighting the political and economic reasons behind your point of view, and hoping that's enough to sway the mood of the country enough to force a second referendum. Just insulting people won't work.

It was a misleading message published and paid for by Vote Leave, which was therefore responsible for it, in the same way that any client is responsible for an advertisement written by its advertising agency on its behalf.

And I have absolutely no idea why you have inserted your people-call-us-thick claim into an exchange between me and another poster about a bus slogan. I have never ever called any Leave voter thick. Please tell me where I have "thrown insults to bring people round to my way of thinking".

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

It doesn't have to be as bad as that, but it would mean not leaving on the 29th March, or having a period of quasi membership before we have no deal.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Just ignore watford.It's a troll,who tries to tell us we only import stuff through Dover,and get eveything from the EU.We already have systems in place that are used every day by importers,and Dover only carries a small percentage of our traffic.It's more important to Eire.

real world.png

This is the current system,but is being replaced by an upgraded system for Brexit.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

It's a well known fact that almost any " roll out " of computer systems for the government usually ends in delays and glitches, somehow we have 100 days to get this in place and I agree, it's probably impossible.

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
Just ignore watford.It's a troll,who tries to tell us we only import stuff through Dover,and get eveything from the EU.We already have systems in place that are used every day by importers,and Dover only carries a small percentage of our traffic.It's more important to Eire.

View attachment 103017

This is the current system,but is being replaced by an upgraded system for Brexit.

Dover is the main port for roll on roll off freight. Any hold up through checks or no customs agreement will cause issues.
You can find the evidence from the Department for Transport's own statistics documents, page 17

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/762200/port-freight-statistics-2017.pdf

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patreon
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Many thanks for taking the time to explain your take on Brexit.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
It was a misleading message published and paid for by Vote Leave, which was therefore responsible for it
And it doesn't say that the NHS will get that money.

And I have absolutely no idea why you have inserted your people-call-us-thick claim into an exchange between me and another poster about a bus slogan. I have never ever called any Leave voter thick. Please tell me where I have "thrown insults to bring people round to my way of thinking".
Firstly, if you want a private conversation with another poster, then you'd have more success with the private messaging option. Obviously the posts on the main board are for others to read and therefore comment on. Secondly, I haven't claimed you called anyone thick, I specifically said 'some of the remainers', because obviously not all do.

My last paragraph wasn't aimed at you. Tubby (who posted the bus picture) commented that according to a few, he's a bit thick. I chose to address the fact that some remainers keep calling those who disagree with them thick.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Here's my reply to Tubby-McFat-Fuc when he asked the same question

I think he is still working on his answer as to how no deal would work :shrug:

I gave you an answer. You just choose to ignore it.

Like I pulled you up on the fact you tell everyone that it is illegal for us to talk about trade deals whilst still in the EU, yet Switzerland made a big announce in the week suggesting otherwise. You've ignore that as well. Maybe you skipped over that pages of replies.

Free Trade is as likely to cease on 30th March, as much as planes will be grounded. It won't happen. Something will be in place if we leave without a deal. Makes no sense to the EU for them too shoot themselves in the foot if they don't allow trade to continue under emergency measures.

But you carry on Watford Zero peddling the same rubbish, but ignoring poeple when they tell you you are wrong. or maybe Switzerland are lying, because according to you they have broken trade laws by negotiating with a country inside the EU!!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I gave you an answer. You just choose to ignore it.

Like I pulled you up on the fact you tell everyone that it is illegal for us to talk about trade deals whilst still in the EU, yet Switzerland made a big announce in the week suggesting otherwise. You've ignore that as well. Maybe you skipped over that pages of replies.

Free Trade is as likely to cease on 30th March, as much as planes will be grounded. It won't happen. Something will be in place if we leave without a deal. Makes no sense to the EU for them too shoot themselves in the foot if they don't allow trade to continue under emergency measures.

But you carry on Watford Zero peddling the same rubbish, but ignoring poeple when they tell you you are wrong. or maybe Switzerland are lying, because according to you they have broken trade laws by negotiating with a country inside the EU!!

So your answer was 'something will be in place'. Don't know how I missed it but that has definitely put my mind at rest!

Do you want to show me where I have said anything about the legality of trade talks or Switzerland, or is that just more made up bollocks :shrug:

Last edited:

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
So your answer was 'something will be in place'. Don't know how I missed it but that has definitely put my mind at rest!

Do you want to show me where I have said anything about the legality of trade talks or Switzerland, or is that just more made up bollocks :shrug:

Apologies if it wasn't you assuring me months ago that no trade deals were being discussed, when I suggested that they were. If I find time I will go back and find your quotes, as I only pop in once a month or so for a few days to post in this thread it shouldn't be too hard to see who said it. Apparently we could not discuss deals until we leave the EU. It seems like we have!

As I keep saying, as it stands at the moment a no deal leaves us with not trade deal on 30th, just as no right to fly.

I am fairly comfortable, either WTO will allow us to keep trading under our exisiting EU terms until a permenant deal is in place, just as I confident the EU will do the same thing, just as I am confident some amendment to a law, or temporary measure will be in place to allow us to keep our planes in the air, and not force us to block most North Atlantic flights out of Europe.

The sooner Parliament votes out the PM pathetic excuse of a deal, and we announced hopefully next week that we will be leaving the EU with no deal, the sooner we can start getting serious with the EU and put measures in place for 30th March that doesn't cripple the whole continent.

It is about time we stopped asking the EU what they will do for us, and telling the EU what we are doing. If they are not interested, then fine, I am sure the Swiss deal won't be the only one ready for 30th March.

But you panic, spread fear, and pretend you know what you are talking about, when in truth no one knows exactly what will happen, other than using common sense, and that says the EU CANNOT make us suffer, like you seem to fear they wil, as much as they would love to, as they would suffer too, and our suffering would be very very temporary, compared to theirs.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Any of you WTO Leavers on here that give a **** about this?

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ness-bankrupter-small-firms-brace-for-no-deal

“If there is no deal, we won’t be here,” he said. Half of the company’s sales are Europe, and if Britain crashes out of the EU and defaults to World Trade Organization rules, the business will be dead.

There would be tariffs of 16.9% on footwear, 12% on T-shirts and jackets, 14% on bicycles and almost 7% on leather motorbike jackets and neoprene wetsuits, killing his competitiveness against his German and Dutch rivals.

“Any friction, any tariff of any description and we are not going to be in business. We are not selling anything unique, we are toe-to-toe with German companies selling the same product. [If] we have delays of two weeks, we are out of business. This is a business that does not work if the UK is not in the single market,” Loughlin said..

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
no one knows exactly what will happen, other than using common sense, and that says the EU CANNOT make us suffer,.

I don’t think they will either. But you will leave on the terms the EU wants. The EU has dictated everything from the order of negotiations, when you can move to the next stages of talks right up to the NI border and the backstop. Not once have you been able to leverage anything.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here