Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Quite a chance? About the same as Brighton getting into the Champions League, I suppose. Despite all the difficulties the government is having, Labour are still way behind (and I say this as one who would much prefer a Labour Government).

It is amazing that even with this incompetent contemptuous Government that Labour is still only neck and neck they really should be 15 points clear

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Try circa £20B of legal obligations, or do you think we can just walk away?

We have no legal obligations at the current moment. We can walk away ...... I'm not suggesting that won't create reactions we might not like.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
We have no legal obligations at the current moment. We can walk away ...... I'm not suggesting that won't create reactions we might not like.

Walking away without a deal, will cost the country considerably more than any legal obligations we may have or not. I might not like that.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
We have no legal obligation to carry out the referendum result, but leavers keep banging on about it. No consistency at all.

A bizzare comparison but then we're rather used to your logic Plooks !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It is amazing that even with this incompetent contemptuous Government that Labour is still only neck and neck they really should be 15 points clear

Is it because Corbyn wears scruffy coats ? Daily Mail readers won't stand for that.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Walking away without a deal, will cost the country considerably more than any legal obligations we may have or not. I might not like that.

Indeed a massive cost to our reputation as a country that used to be pragmatic and sensible

To be honest Brexiteers are obsessed with EU contributors but at only 0.37% of total expenditure it really is a drop in the ocean. But still they pedal the same old rhetoric into the ears of well groomed DM readers, its still sounds good though

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The Nige deserves his for all that he and his family have been through. Getting that German Citizenship for the kids costs you know...

:eek:The Germans charge for citizenship?Didn't they let those nice refugees in for free then?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Indeed a massive cost to our reputation as a country that used to be pragmatic and sensible

To be honest Brexiteers are obsessed with EU contributors but at only 0.37% of total expenditure it really is a drop in the ocean. But still they pedal the same old rhetoric into the ears of well groomed DM readers, its still sounds good though

Well if it's only 0.37%:rotlf: of total expenditure,and a drop in the ocean,they won't miss it if we don't bother paying!:lolol:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
It is not. You think it is ok to not pay a divorce bill as we don't HAVE to, but you demand the referendum result to be carried out even though we DON'T have to. See the inconsistency?

Good grief :facepalm:

OK, in words as small as possible so you might just understand. The vote ( I'd use the word referendum but it's probably a bit long for you ) was indeed not legally binding. The goverment ( the people in charge ) decided it was moral to follow the result. Therefore Parliament ( the people we all vote for ) passed a law making it, currently, a legal obligation to leave the EU on the 29th March 2019. It will require an act of Parliament to change that. Parlaiment HAVEN'T passed a law to say we HAVE to pay the divorce bill and nor has the UK signed anything that obligates us to do so ..... yet.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Is it because Corbyn wears scruffy coats ? Daily Mail readers won't stand for that.

I'm sure that doesn't help but I can think of several reasons not to vote Corbyn, not least that their Brexit position is almost as bad as the Conservatives.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I assume if there is a second vote and it comes out as remain you'll be happy to consider that we don't necessarily have to remain ?

If it was 52% remain, I wouldn't expect the matter to be fully resolved. I think remain would have to win by more than 55% for it to be put to bed for any considerable amount of time.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I bet it hurts more that your brexit queen is failing.

Brexit Queen ? You mean May who is a remainer ? A PM that I believe to be the worst PM of my lifetime and was dispicable as Home Sec ? Hmmm ..... hardly my Brexit Queen. That said, the further she kicks the can down the street the more likely we are to just crash out of the EU so there's always a silver lining.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Where has anyone mentioned legal responsibility? A moral duty to respect our democratic way, yes.

A lot of people, both on this thread and elsewhere.

They are all wrong of course, but it absolutely HAS been said, many times.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I KNOW!
But why are you all doing your top about respecting the referendum result? If you said respecting the LAW passed by government, ok. But you don't.

Feel free to quote where I'm "doing my top" - whatever that might mean - about not respecting the referendum result. The government, and most importantly Parliament including Labour MPs, have respected the result of the referendum by passing legisaltion to remove us from the EU so I hardly have any reason to "do my top".

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here