Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Made a mistake 'IN YOUR OPINION' - that doesn't make you right. I'm more than happy with my vote and if another one was held today I'd vote the same way.

So you're genuinely happy with the way things are going and the non-existent progress, things being kicked down the road until October and Brexit supporting MP's conceding that nothing will be agreed in time if that happens and are happy to face a 'no deal' and can dismiss the consequences of that, such as with customs checks at ports as being 'project fear', despite The UK being a member of The WCO and legally bound as per it's treaty obligations to apply the Kyoto International Convention on the Simplification and Harmonization of Customs procedures ie customs checks?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm not trying to score points here but I really wonder if there's anything that would give you (or like-minded) cause for regret or incline you to change your vote if it there was a chance. (In other words, just how bad would it have to get?)

So you're genuinely happy with the way things are going and the non-existent progress, things being kicked down the road until October and Brexit supporting MP's conceding that nothing will be agreed in time if that happens and are happy to face a 'no deal' and can dismiss the consequences of that, such as with customs checks at ports as being 'project fear', despite The UK being a member of The WCO and legally bound as per it's treaty obligations to apply the Kyoto International Convention on the Simplification and Harmonization of Customs procedures ie customs checks?

Just to clear this up - I want the UK to leave the EU, all of it. I don't condone how the government has gone about achieving it ( although I don't think the remain camp has exactly helped the process ). Did I think there would be some pain ? Yes. Do I think that pain will be worth it in the long run ? Yes.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I reckon we are going to get to within a fortnight of leaving and revoke A50, the EU might cede more at crisis point, and maybe that is our sides tactics, kick it down the road till the EU gets nervous and if they still don't budge, we just bail out of the process.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Just to clear this up - I want the UK to leave the EU, all of it. I don't condone how the government has gone about achieving it ( although I don't think the remain camp has exactly helped the process ). Did I think there would be some pain ? Yes. Do I think that pain will be worth it in the long run ? Yes.

You know that isn't going to happen though, right?

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
I reckon we are going to get to within a fortnight of leaving and revoke A50, the EU might cede more at crisis point, and maybe that is our sides tactics, kick it down the road till the EU gets nervous and if they still don't budge, we just bail out of the process.

How would that be a tactic? The EU doesn't need to cede anything, however late in the day it gets. They hold literally ALL the cards.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
How would that be a tactic? The EU doesn't need to cede anything, however late in the day it gets. They hold literally ALL the cards.

It is basically the Rees-Mogg tactic, just tell them we will walk away if we don't get what we want and pretend we are stupid enough to do it. Then let them worry about the consequences of that on their side, and hope they cave in. This would be a crazy stance to take, like a game of chicken between the UK's Reliant Robin and the EU's Mercedes Truck. We all know who will come off worst in the collision, but the Truck will still want to minimise the damage to itself. And if the option of revoking A50 is in the back pocket, it might not be as dangerous for us as it appears.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
It is basically the Rees-Mogg tactic, just tell them we will walk away if we don't get what we want and pretend we are stupid enough to do it. Then let them worry about the consequences of that on their side, and hope they cave in. This would be a crazy stance to take, like a game of chicken between the UK's Reliant Robin and the EU's Mercedes Truck. We all know who will come off worst in the collision, but the Truck will still want to minimise the damage to itself. And if the option of revoking A50 is in the back pocket, it might not be as dangerous for us as it appears.

The challenge being, there are no rules about revoking A50. I saw an interview with the Scottish bloke that helped right the A50 rules and he said it wasn't expected that anyone would issue A50 let alone then revoke it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
It's posts like this that confirms to me that you know you have made a huge mistake, you just won't admit it and neither will the vast majority of leave voters.

Some leavers on here are already talking about leaving the UK after Brexit, the cracks are starting to show

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Yeah, the Brexit 'plan'

We'll see, perhaps, maybe, possibly, potentially, could etc etc.

Well as neither myself nor Baldseagull, or indeed you, have any influence over what is happening we will have to wait and see. Unless you've got some cunning plan ?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Well as neither myself nor Baldseagull, or indeed you, have any influence over what is happening we will have to wait and see. Unless you've got some cunning plan ?

I believe it is the Brexit team that needs a cunning plan instead of 'we'll see, maybe, could, possibly' etc. Which is sort of the point.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The moaning is bad enough on here, imagine if you had to live with them. They must be driving their partners up the wall.

A two-year mega sulk, temper tantrum masquerading as informed debate :rolleyes:

On the plus side NSC has provided a useful outlet to vent all that angst .. probably saved a few relationships :D

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The challenge being, there are no rules about revoking A50. I saw an interview with the Scottish bloke that helped right the A50 rules and he said it wasn't expected that anyone would issue A50 let alone then revoke it.

Government has been advised, though they have not revealed the advice they recieved. If the advice were that it was irrevocable, I think they would have said so, all they have said is that is not an option that they would take, but then they also said no snap election. Having it available as the sort of hyperspace button in a game of Asteroids would shift us out of the way of the immediate danger, but would land us into either a general election all about the EU, or second referendum, or both.
If we don't get a deal done, the only options are to extend negotiations, or revoke A50, leaving without a deal is only possible in a Rees-Mogg wet dream.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The moaning is bad enough on here, imagine if you had to live with them. They must be driving their partners up the wall.

You have no imagination though, do you? My husband feels exactly the same way that I do, so we are in full agreement and not driving each other up the wall.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Some leavers on here are already talking about leaving the UK after Brexit, the cracks are starting to show

I know six individuals who have up sticks and moved to mainland Europe as a direct result of Brexit

Two have retired to Spain while the other four have moved there buissness one to France the other to Spain

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

He knows four people who have moved to mainland Europe. Even Nigel Lawson, Brexiteer in chief, is running away, applying for a carte de sejour, so he can access his French villa, after Brexit. I sincerely hope President Macron turns him down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here