Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
so i'm right :rolleyes:
regards
DR

It's the likes of you I feel for most in all this. Fooled into voting as you thought we'd get rid of all the funny foreign types and just blindly insisting we leave, come what may. You are so unprepared for the upcoming events it's eye watering watching you posture on here because we can see what you're walking into blindfolded.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So you are against somthing that delievers the democratic will of the people? Why is that? I thought we had to respect the referendum result and that leave means leave. If leave means leave the conditions are irrelevant, leaving is the only part.

Good grief .... you're hard work ! I refer you to my post about what remainers said we would lose by voting to leaving during the campaign ..... or were they lying ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I get the concern people had about uncontrolled immigration and "a city the size of Newcastle arriving every year" but only half of this total was from the EU.

Whether it is right or not to curb non-EU migration this government is committed to getting net migration down to the tens of thousands but even leaving aside the EU part it is miles off it's target with non-EU migration.

The UK could have helped shape EU policy on inter-EU migration because it is not in the EU's interest to have barren states where those with skills have upped sticks and gone to the richer Northern European nations to make a living.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
How can they undercut the local labour force? We have a minimum wage. This country decided this was an acceptable amount to be paid, so you can not undercut as any worker would get paid at least this. Are you suggesting we need higher minimum wages? Also, don't the Tories say unemployment is at a low? So, how does that tally with all the immigrants taking the jobs away?

You undercut the local labour force by pay less than the local labour force are being paid but by paying no less than the minimum wage. Even your light grasp of logic must be able to understand that :facepalm:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
But the minimum wage is an acceptable wage, otherwise we would have a higher one. Or is that set incorrectly?

What the fvck are you on about. Here you go, in Janet and John form just for your simple mind :

John is a British labourer, John earns £10 an hour on a building site. He thinks £10 is OK but could be higher. He is above the minimum wage so there isn't much he can do.

Along comes Thomaz, he is a Polish labourer. He tells John's boss he and his mates can do John's job for £8 an hour. John's boss is happy - it means he'll have more money for biscuits and yet he is still paying more than the minimum wage.

John is now unhappy because he has lost his job. If only he'd been happy to join the Polish labourers on £8 an hour.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes I understand. But, as a country, we decided that the minimum wage is an acceptable wage. So we have decided that john can be undercut. He could be undercut by Frank from Wrexham as well.
You issue here is with minimum wage, if the minimum wage was good enough john would be fine being paid it and would not be able to be undercut.

You are spot on. The problem here is with greedy businessmen not immigrants. There is a reason immigrants come to the UK, it's desirable. Make it less desirable and they won't. That way the number of immigrants drops but we can still get around the EU unhindered but in typical little England style we choose to ban all FoM and cut off our noses to spite our faces.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Yes I understand. But, as a country, we decided that the minimum wage is an acceptable wage. So we have decided that john can be undercut. He could be undercut by Frank from Wrexham as well.
You issue here is with minimum wage, if the minimum wage was good enough john would be fine being paid it and would not be able to be undercut.

It's nothing to do with the minimum wage and everything to do with supply and demand. In the case of low paid jobs, there being too much supply due to the flood of Eastern Europeans coming here to earn more than they can in their home country.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Answer this: if john is on £10 an hour and a foreign worker applies for a job at £10 an hour (as he can't get less) is John being undercut?

I've seen some fvckwit posts on here over the years but that question must be in line for a gold medal !

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You are spot on. The problem here is with greedy businessmen not immigrants. There is a reason immigrants come to the UK, it's desirable. Make it less desirable and they won't.

My guess is that there are two main reasons why immigrants head for the UK. Firstly, if they speak a second language, there's a good chance it will be English and secondly, there's less bureaucracy here: we don't have identity cards, immigrants don't have to register, they turn up and they're good to go. And people can be hired (and fired) with greater ease here.

I can't see that leaving the EU will change any of that.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Which is why immigration from non-EU countries has gone up this year, it's to fill the shortfall as EU immigration has declined

That's the thing that was so obviously ironic from day one. For SOME (not everyone, I'm not calling YOU racist, whoever's reading this getting angry), mass immigration from "other" cultures was a reason for voting leave.

EU immigration will go down, and inevitably non-EU immigration will go up. SOME people's Leave votes will backfire quite spectacularly.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Why? As you have no answer? That the undercutting of wages is down to us and our government and not immigrants?

No at all. It's because your question is a stupid one that even you could answer. The under cutting of wages is because there are more people in some labour markets than there are jobs so employers have a greater choice of people and can suppress wages. That number of people in some labour markets has been inflated by immigrants from Eastern Europe. I don't blame the immigrants personally for doing so .... I'd do the same. I blame the freedom of movement - you can't deny there are more people in the labour market if people are attracted from outside the UK because of higher wages and how easy it is to come here ( assuming you are from the EU of course ).

D

Deleted member 22389

That's the thing that was so obviously ironic from day one. For SOME (not everyone, I'm not calling YOU racist, whoever's reading this getting angry), mass immigration from "other" cultures was a reason for voting leave.

EU immigration will go down, and inevitably non-EU immigration will go up. SOME people's Leave votes will backfire quite spectacularly.

I think immigration will go down, and I'm hoping we won't be subject to these EU rules on FOM. Everyone can be treated the same then. It's up to the government to put in some proper rules across the board and only allow people in who will add proper value to this country.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
More choice is a good thing. John can choose from work all over the eu as well meaning he is not stuck with what he has if it is bad.
Also, again, you can only cut wages to the minimum wage. This a ok as we decided that was an acceptable wage as a country.

You keep going on about the minimum wage - it has nothing to do with immigration keeping wages down. Regardless, if you really think the minimum wage is acceptable I'd like to see you live off it ..... especially given your past rants about not being able to buy a property.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here