Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Are you suggesting small business should not protect personal and private data?

Absolutely they should but GDPR goes way beyond protecting data. In principle the idea behind GDPR is great - in reality the regulation has clearly been designed and approved by people that have ZERO idea on how data is and has been stored. It is close to impossible for any business to comply 100% and the costs of attempting to do so are huge.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Absolutely they should but GDPR goes way beyond protecting data. In principle the idea behind GDPR is great - in reality the regulation has clearly been designed and approved by people that have ZERO idea on how data is and has been stored. It is close to impossible for any business to comply 100% and the costs of attempting to do so are huge.

hich elements are impossible to comply with?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
hich elements are impossible to comply with?

As an example, any individual can ask to be provided with a copy of ANY data held on them. That's fine if the data is entirely searchable but often data isn't. As an example, we accept orders from customers on handwritten order forms. It contains customer data but for years these have been scanned into a PDF. This is then uploaded to the CRM system. It can't be searched. The regulation takes no account of historical storage of data. It's fine to say moving forwards a company has to store data in a searchable format ( although the costs of changing many systems are prohibitive ) but to apply the regulation to data already held frankly shows the legislators know nothing about what they are legislating about. Either that or they care not that it will cost huge sums for companies to comply.

D

Deleted member 22389

Are you suggesting small business should not protect personal and private data?

This won't stop people hacking your site, hacking your database. Wonder how many business run off the shelf php scripts like wordpress or shopping carts with information stored in MySQL database with information of users, login details, orders and so on. The cost of implementing a change to the database and scripts costs to protect the data even further costs small business hundreds of pounds.
GDPR really hasn't taken in to the things for example what Westdene Seagull was on about in regards of those orders in PDF.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I suppose if you can't afford to comply with legislation you shouldn't be running a business.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...s-serbia-albania-berlin-process-a8347111.html

The British government will host a summit encouraging six European countries to join the EU for the sake of their “security, stability and prosperity”, months before it is due to sign its own Brexit withdrawal deal with Brussels.

London will in July play host to Western Balkans governments including Serbia and Albania, as well as existing EU member states, to discuss reforms to pave the way to future EU enlargement.

The summit is part of the so-called Berlin Process – a series of meetings aimed at supporting the region towards joining the bloc and described by the European parliament’s research arm as “bringing a new perspective and impetus to the enlargement process”.

haha!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yep, summat has defo got the Brexit Boys spooked this last week. A joy to watch it unfold.
You think that Brexit was the wrong choice because you care for our country. Yet you think Brexit is being handled badly and will be disastrous.

Strange cause of celebration.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I suppose if you can't afford to comply with legislation you shouldn't be running a business.

and charities, not-for-profits, clubs? i know a couple are closing because of fear of GDPR.
though the problems with GDPR is nothing to do with EU really, we are happily applying it within our law. the main problem is that its designed bureaucrats to be a sledgehammer to crack many nuts, with next to no scope for loopholes and exceptions. the consequence is a very onerous piece of legislation, that enforces alot of nice to have rights (right to be forgotten) while not actually preventing a data breach, just punishing heavily any one that does.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You think that Brexit was the wrong choice because you care for our country. Yet you think Brexit is being handled badly and will be disastrous.

Strange cause of celebration.

Huh? What's your question here.
I think Brexit was a bad choice added to which the process is being handled very badly. What's hard to understand about that?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Interesting. A guy who I share an office with is a lawyer for a Swedish building company and charged with ensuring the company is complainant. I literally just spoke to him, he believes he’s 100% compliant (or will be on the 25th) and asked which parts you feel are impossible to comply with.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Huh? What's your question here.
I think Brexit was a bad choice added to which the process is being handled very badly. What's hard to understand about that?
You are crowing about people who voted for Brexit being 'spooked'. It's not hard to understand that if that's the case, most likely the Brexit negotiations are not easy or going too well. If you care for our country, then whichever way you voted, you would be pretty unhappy if that was the case.

Or perhaps not.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Interesting. A guy who I share an office with is a lawyer for a Swedish building company and charged with ensuring the company is complainant. I literally just spoke to him, he believes he’s 100% compliant (or will be on the 25th) and asked which parts you feel are impossible to comply with.

Would he mind suggesting how to make thousands of PDF files spanning over ten years searchable then ? I'm sure as a lawyer he'll understand the technical challenges of converting IT systems and data to be compliant.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
And would you like to commit to agreeing that (if there was a second referendum and the vote was remain), that any future changes (joining Euro, loss of rebate, major treaties, etc.) would be put to a referendum too?

It seems as though the remainers are complaining about democracy and harp on about “Oh, it was only an advisory referendum” (but it was made clear that the will of the people would be implemented, so surely you’d agree that any future changes in our relationship should be decided by the will of the people and not just 650 MPs, many who want to get on the EU gravy-train.

Your implication here is that all remainers (see your expression 'the remainers') are calling for the referendum result to be simply ignored. As in placed in a drawer and forgotten about.

Can you substantiate this? My impression is that while there are some who honestly feel that the potential damage to the country outweighs the risks of civil disturbance should the result be filed under A for Abbarations, the great majority simply take the position that the people should be given the chance of commenting on the terms of the deal when those terms are known.

As to the way that consultation should be made my own view is that for reasons of clarity and perceived fairness it has to be carried out in the same way that the original judgement was reached. I don't like referendums but in this instance I see no alternative. People would otherwise claim, even if there were no grounds for it, that there had been a stitch-up.

Looking into the future I note your suggestion that our 650 representatives cannot be trusted to make a decision because many want to get on some sort of foreign-based gravytrain, but this seems to me to be a pretty glib write-off of our ancient parliamentary system. (More accurate, I feel, is the suggestion that most MPs are currently sitting on their hands because they are concerned about the whips and their job prospects.) I'll ask you a second question though - what evidence have you got for your claim that 'many' MPs are, as you say, corrupt?

Jan 30, 2008
Not really a need. If you believe that a vote, based on lies from both sides, that concerns the countries future for decades, should not have the most stringent checks first, then well, I believe its because you are scared that you will lose a 2nd Referendum. Every Brexiteer thinks the same way. Dont worry

PS Each new President is nominated by the European Council and formally elected by the European Parliament, for a five-year term.
WHO CARES, WE WONT BE IN IT MUCH LONGER
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
Yes, and we may need another Brexit part 2 to get back all the stuff that Teresa May has squandered in negotiations.
Yes looney, some of these remainer goons seem to think they no best but the facts are they just can't accept the inevitable, the democratic vote to leave the EU which they all had the right to vote in but it didn't go their way
regards
DR

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You are crowing about people who voted for Brexit being 'spooked'. It's not hard to understand that if that's the case, most likely the Brexit negotiations are not easy or going too well. If you care for our country, then whichever way you voted, you would be pretty unhappy if that was the case.

Or perhaps not.

I'm sorry, I really don't get what your poin is here. I am annoyed the negotiations are being messed up. Very annoyed, very concerned and rather worried about what the future holds for the UK.
I also think voting Leave was stupid.

I genuinely can't see what problem you are having understanding that. Sorry, I just don't see what you're getting at.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here