Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Unilever's Public Affairs advisors had told them to remain Brexit-neutral - sensible advice in the circumstances.

Yes, that's what I heard too - Unilever CEO Paul Polman was a prominent and very staunch pro-EU/remain proponent and accused Vote Leave of being misleading during the referendum by mentioning Unilever in it's literature.. In normal circumstances today he'd just have been branded a 'remoaner' or an 'expert' etc if he hadn't taken a neutral stance for once.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Okay, forget raising your game lets go with doubling down. The Chief Executive of Unilever said the decision was nothing to do with Brexit, the opposite being true whereas you say he's only following PR advice and Brexit was a factor .... mmmmm who to believe. :rolleyes:

I am sure you actually did understand what I wrote so I won't go through it again line by line.

Suffice to say that (a) it was clearly sensible to tell Unilever's CE to vocally distance his company's decision from Brexit and (b) the UK's post-Brexit regulatory regime is likely to move in a direction that Unilever will not welcome.

(I'm touched by your assumption that if a CE says something it must be true. If only there were more people like you around when I span for a living.)

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Paul Polman, the Unilever chief executive, however, told the BBC Radio 4 Today programme: “This is not about Brexit. The opposite is true.”

He said that the company remained committed to Britain and that two of the three new divisions, beauty and personal care and homecare, would have their headquarters in London. Keeping the two divisions in the UK would mean nearly £1 billion a year of continued investment in the country, Mr Polman said, including a significant commitment to research and development.

Unilever, which makes Marmite, Dove soap and Magnum ice cream, among a huge range of consumer products, employs 7,300 people in the UK and 3,100 in the Netherlands. No jobs will lost as a result of the changes.

I understand many people have committed much of their spare time to talking the UK down on this thread as well as forecasting impending doom but could the Remoaners on here please try to raise their game .. it's getting embarrasing.

Raise the game? Its not a game.
You, and people like you, have thrown the country off a cliff edge without knowing what the future holds. Well done.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Okay, forget raising your game lets go with doubling down. The Chief Executive of Unilever said the decision was nothing to do with Brexit, the opposite being true whereas you say he's only following PR advice and Brexit was a factor .... mmmmm who to believe. :rolleyes:

Well better to remain neutral and not alienate consumers. Whether Brexit was the sole reason for the decision is pushing it, but it more than likely tipped the balance.

Not a good day for British industry. Take note Mrs. May, this could be the first of many. Its really is a warning shot of what is to come

Last edited:

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I am sure you actually did understand what I wrote so I won't go through it again line by line.

Suffice to say that (a) it was clearly sensible to tell Unilever's CE to vocally distance his company's decision from Brexit and (b) the UK's post-Brexit regulatory regime is likely to move in a direction that Unilever will not welcome.

(I'm touched by your assumption that if a CE says something it must be true. If only there were more people like you around when I span for a living.)

Then goes through it line by line. Yes you claim you know more than the Chief Executive of Unilever. Did you know Unilever is actually getting rid of the preference shares and Dutch trust structures that can be used to thwart bidders? No of course you didn't ....

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You, and people like you, have thrown the country off a cliff edge without knowing what the future holds. Well done.

I assumed spouting unsubstantiated nonsense/rubbishing the UK was a game for you and people like you. It's truly tragic if you all actually believe the drivel you come out with. A democratic choice has been made which you don't agree with and no one knows what the future holds.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I assumed spouting unsubstantiated nonsense/rubbishing the UK was a game for you and people like you. It's truly tragic if you all actually believe the drivel you come out with. A democratic choice has been made which you don't agree with and no one knows what the future holds.

Youre right. Nobody knows what the fecking future holds because a ridiculous vote, that despite the denials on NSC, involved racism, and xenophobia to the possible/probable (take your pick...if you know) detriment of the country. Thanks.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Well better to remain neutral and not alienate consumers. Whether Brexit was the sole reason for the decision is pushing it, but it more than likely tipped the balance.

Not a good day for British industry. Take note Mrs. May, this could be the first of many. Its really is a warning shot of what is to come

For more than likely see completely made up. Can any one of you EU bots provide one example of credible evidence this decision was related to Brexit .... just one?

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

Not for the first time do you refer to the whole saga as going over a cliff edge. The reality is that neither you nor I nor all the experts on here know what the future will really hold - you may be right, you may be wrong.. But simply talking of going over a cliff is laziness - anyone can claim this ad nauseam and then accuse others of recklessness.

larus

For more than likely see completely made up. Can any one of you EU bots provide one example of credible evidence this decision was related to Brexit .... just one?

I think their problem is either a result :tantrum: or maybe :cry: because of Brexit and the fact that the dire predictions of
£30bln emergency budget.
Interest rate rises.
House price crash.
Increased unemployment.
Inflation.
Recession.
WW III.

Now they have to resort to saying - “Yes, that was said, but we didn’t mean it would happen straight after the vote (even though we did say that), what we meant was it would happen when Article 50 was triggered. Er, well, no, what we actually meant was when we leave. Then the UK will become the economic wasteland, and all these firms will rush to the France with their business friendly regulations, or to Italy, Greece and Spain with their enviable work ethic and lack of corruption. Just you wait, and when that doesn’t happen and there’s a recession in the future, we’ll gladly tell you it’s all down to Brexit and we’ll have been proved right.”

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Simple it makes senses to have your head office within the largest consumer market in the world, and not outside it. Brexit was an influence and more than likely the factor that tipped the balance.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Not for the first time do you refer to the whole saga as going over a cliff edge. The reality is that neither you nor I nor all the experts on here know what the future will really hold - you may be right, you may be wrong.. But simply talking of going over a cliff is laziness - anyone can claim this ad nauseam and then accuse others of recklessness.

If you dont know the outcome, please see 'have thrown the country off a cliff edge'

larus

Ah, it’s the guy who panicked when Wall Street had a wobble. Stop talking about economics and the like Nicko, you really don’t know anything as you clearly demonstrated by your bed-wetting about Wall-Street.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Then goes through it line by line. Yes you claim you know more than the Chief Executive of Unilever. Did you know Unilever is actually getting rid of the preference shares and Dutch trust structures that can be used to thwart bidders? No of course you didn't ....

I'm sure he's able to read The FT and copy bits from articles line by line as you have there to post on here, so quite possibly, and he may also know they could be reinstated as per that article too:

https://www.ft.com/content/4fcd127c-282e-11e8-b27e-cc62a39d57a0

Without copying and pasting again, do you know much about Dutch Trust Structures out of interest, as I don't really to be honest.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I think their problem is either a result :tantrum: or maybe :cry: because of Brexit and the fact that the dire predictions of
£30bln emergency budget.
Interest rate rises.
House price crash.
Increased unemployment.
Inflation.
Recession.
WW III.

Now they have to resort to saying - “Yes, that was said, but we didn’t mean it would happen straight after the vote (even though we did say that), what we meant was it would happen when Article 50 was triggered. Er, well, no, what we actually meant was when we leave. Then the UK will become the economic wasteland, and all these firms will rush to the France with their business friendly regulations, or to Italy, Greece and Spain with their enviable work ethic and lack of corruption. Just you wait, and when that doesn’t happen and there’s a recession in the future, we’ll gladly tell you it’s all down to Brexit and we’ll have been proved right.”

The Brexit vote decision has already cost us in excess in £30B already in loss of economic growth, we just borrowed it instead of asking taxpayer for it.

Meanwhile, looks like we're be the West Brom of the G20 in 2018. And Brexit hasn't even happened yet

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Simple it makes senses to have your head office within the largest consumer market in the world, and not outside it. Brexit was an influence and more than likely the factor that tipped the balance.

Definitely simple but just your opinion ... not credible evidence. Have another try.

larus

The Brexit vote decision has already cost us in excess in £30B already in loss of economic growth, we just borrowed it instead of asking taxpayer for it.

Meanwhile, looks like we're be the West Brom of the G20 in 2018. And Brexit hasn't even happened yet

You just make crap up . No one knows what growth we would have had with or without Brexit. You are an economic illiterate.

Tell you what. The economy is doing better by £50bln because of the Brexit vote. Look at the falls ion unemployment and the highest levels of employment EVER. This is helping the government to reduce it’s annual deficit and will save on future interest payments.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I'm sure he's able to read The FT and copy bits from articles line by line as you have there to post on here, so quite possibly, and he may also know they could be reinstated as per that article too:

https://www.ft.com/content/4fcd127c-282e-11e8-b27e-cc62a39d57a0

Without copying and pasting again, do you know much about Dutch Trust Structures out of interest, as I don't really to be honest.

I thought you were ignoring me .... 'again'. :wave:

I know as much as the Impster eg only what we choose to read.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here