Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I realise your post was in the context of why there are issues at JLR today, but I did not realise you gave no shit about the future, apologies.

Again, an aggressive tone, I wonder why? I said I was not interested in predicting the outcome, not that I was not interested in the outcome. I thought it was the Brexit lot that were supposed to be a bit thick? :ffsparr:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Norway/Iceland is indeed what we voted for as neither are actually in the EU. They are outside it.

The + refers to an agreement to get the best solution to the Irish border.

This proposal is now known as *Common Market 2.0*.

There is a lot of Fake News nonsense about being 'rule takers'. The reality is nothing like that as explained below :

https://twitter.com/AdrianYalland/status/1073867169723756544?s=19

There is no point in a 2nd referendum. Until we isolate ourselves from hybrid warfare dis-information attacks on the minds of the British people by malign foreign state actors then we are totally lost, and the result will only be the same.

Your last paragraph supports a second referendum.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
All those migrants

[tweet]1083391244032720896[/tweet]

And telling we are 5th in league when it comes to EU expats living abroad but staying within the EU.
We are very much a people with a global outlook, majority living in far flung places outside EU not just confined to it.

Expats_across_the_EU.png

Way behind some of the global big hitters though.

REhMMBFNedzs94wjWiKkf7Zlq7ulp4FJu1CGlSHMGIE.png

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
There is no point in a 2nd referendum. Until we isolate ourselves from hybrid warfare dis-information attacks on the minds of the British people by malign foreign state actors then we are totally lost, and the result will only be the same.

I agree, no second referendum and keep foreign influence out of our voting process.

img.jpg

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Can you elaborate on that one? I'm intrigued...

Sure, the U.K. as a member of the EU underwrites the lending of the EIB. Broadly speaking we would hope that the EIB would provide loans to global corporatists that suport workers in the EU.

As demonstrated by the loan to Ford, we don’t actually know that the lending policy of the EIB is in the interests of the workers, but lets put that to one side.

The U.K. taxpayer has ownership of 28% of the EU estate, which in EIB terms is in the region (apparently) of £40bn that is not in including 28% of the value of the buildings etc.

So, just splitting g what we are nominally owed we should piss past the 350m that was on the bus.......rejoice.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Stark warning from today's Telegraph

[TWEET]1083316646436048897[/TWEET]

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
While I agree with the gist of what you say, I should also point out that the UK has a head of state and a head of government and I had no direct vote for either of them

I’m with you to a point, however if you think that Queen Brenda has the same power as old soaky Juncker you are in need of education.

As for leaders of U.K. political parties people can join and influence; how can I do that with Juncker?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Again, an aggressive tone, I wonder why? I said I was not interested in predicting the outcome, not that I was not interested in the outcome. I thought it was the Brexit lot that were supposed to be a bit thick? :ffsparr:

Only the ones that have no interest in thinking about the consequences and predicting what might happen.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Sure, the U.K. as a member of the EU underwrites the lending of the EIB. Broadly speaking we would hope that the EIB would provide loans to global corporatists that suport workers in the EU.

As demonstrated by the loan to Ford, we don’t actually know that the lending policy of the EIB is in the interests of the workers, but lets put that to one side.

The U.K. taxpayer has ownership of 28% of the EU estate, which in EIB terms is in the region (apparently) of £40bn that is not in including 28% of the value of the buildings etc.

So, just splitting g what we are nominally owed we should piss past the 350m that was on the bus.......rejoice.

I think our share of the EU estate is what has taken the £85 Billion that we were reckoned to need to pay to settle our obligations, down to £35 Billion, sorry.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
I'm assuming this has made an appearance somewhere, I can't be bothered to trawl back too far.

If it hasn't you can thank me now. The one good thing to come out of Brexit.

[tweet]1082807211158589440[/tweet]

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I think our share of the EU estate is what has taken the £85 Billion that we were reckoned to need to pay to settle our obligations, down to £35 Billion, sorry.

According to greater legal minds than mine, the U.K. has no legal obligations to pay a penny to the EU on Brexit.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/mar/04/uk-could-quit-eu-without-paying-a-penny-say-lords

I get the need for pragmatism though, so the £40bn of U.K. Taxpayers money that is due for return is probably tied up in the negation somehow, but we won’t see that money returned until 2054.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ank-eib-britain-alexander-stubb-a8023516.html

The EIB money plus our stake in EU assets is sizeable and should not be conflated with the payment we are making to the EU. We owe them nothing legally speaking. Sorry.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Norway/Iceland is indeed what we voted for as neither are actually in the EU. They are outside it.

The + refers to an agreement to get the best solution to the Irish border.

This proposal is now known as *Common Market 2.0*.

There is a lot of Fake News nonsense about being 'rule takers'. The reality is nothing like that as explained below :

https://twitter.com/AdrianYalland/status/1073867169723756544?s=19

Yes, these malign foreign state actors are definitely a problem........

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2008/oct/28/peter-mandelson-oleg-deripaska-corfu

Mr Deripaska is currently a sanctioned individual by the US Treasury due to his close relationship with Putin (among other things) but not by HMT or the EU........which is weird right?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Yes, these malign foreign state actors are definitely a problem........

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2008/oct/28/peter-mandelson-oleg-deripaska-corfu

Mr Deripaska is currently a sanctioned individual by the US Treasury due to his close relationship with Putin (among other things) but not by HMT or the EU........which is weird right?

Disgraceful rather than weird. And Putin's puppet in the Whitehouse is now trying to drop the US sanctions as well. Until we fight back and sanction the lot of Putin's cronies, nothing will change and we will keep losing the hybrid war.

Last edited:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
What drives people is peace and prosperity. The integration of the former Iron Curtain countries into 'The West', the arrival of the internet, improved automation of production, the expansion of budget airlines have all contributed to an increase in the size of the marketplace for our goods and services.

This is not "Tory" ideology, this is technology and pan-European political will. Regardless of who is in power these forces will always be at work. Corbyn's failure to recognise the EU as a force for good in a changing world is a catastrophe for both the Labour Party and the UK.

Sure, there is a lot there which is reasonable, overall I think that the westernisation of central and Eastern Europe is a good thing and as those countries develop, and technology etc. that should be positive. As should continued economic growth for those countries and those in the west.

Nevertheless, this expansion of the EU has happened and continues to happen remote to the citizens of the EU. When we joined the EEC it was 6/7 countries, the expansion and consequences of expansion occurred without any democratic mandate as far as I can tell? When Poland and other A8 countries joined U.K. voters were told that about 15,000 Poles would come and work.......another great forecast from the Govt of the day.

Peace and prosperity in the West is rooted in a nation’s trust that it’s Govt and institutions are acting in the interests of its citizens, and sadly we are seeing that break down in the west generally and the U.K. I’m sure all those MEPs and the hundreds of thousands employed through the organs of the European project think they are a force for good, but they are not. The rise of non mainstream political parties in Europe indicates the project isn’t working for its citizens. The EU taking punitive action against democratically elected Govts for not acting in accordance with EU “values” (whatever they are) is not helping either.

There is more trouble ahead, Brexit is a mere hors d‘oeuvre for the future problems that will befall the EU.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Disgraceful rather than weird. And Putin's puppet in the Whitehouse is now trying to drop the US sanctions as well. Until we fight back and sanction the lot of Putin's cronies, nothing will change and we will keep losing the hybrid war.

When you have friends in high places, you have contacts in high places.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...e-to-fight-oleg-deripaska-sanctions-j6fx390wj

As I understand it, Deripaska has sold his majority interests and is off the boards of his US sanctioned businesses, however despite U.K. Govt overtures Deripaska will remain on the OFAC list for the foreseeable. The conduct of the U.K. and EU in this case is mind boggling.......I’m sure someone will amble along a some point to straighten this out.

Here’s an article worth a read when the Independent was a trustworthy journal.....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...oversy-how-the-world-really-works-973817.html

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I’m with you to a point, however if you think that Queen Brenda has the same power as old soaky Juncker you are in need of education.

As for leaders of U.K. political parties people can join and influence; how can I do that with Juncker?

Juncker is stepping down this year, and not standing for another term.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here