Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
But farmers will still need to follow EU standards in order to export to the EU while at the same time losing subsidies and grants ? " Turkey's .. etc " ?

It isn't the standards farmers have a problem with - it's CAP and the unfair competition from French farmers.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
How are our plans and actions and how ready are we for a no deal? 'Sub optimal' is the answer. If you still think no deal is sustainable for long for The UK, you might as well believe in pretty pink fairies.

At no time have I said we're ready for a no deal or that it wouldn't be painful. I was pointing out that Watford zero's constant claim that a 'no deal' is an impossibility isn't true.

Simple question - if 'no deal' is the utter impossibility that Watford zero is claiming why have EU members, particularly the Dutch, spent so much on preparation for a 'no deal' ?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I suspect no really thinks Mrs May can get any alterations to the deal that will satisfy ERG or if yesterday's vote was a reflection of the numbers within our society who also agree with the ERG I estimate there numbers to be no more than 20% of the nation as a whole say 20 million assuming that is correct that would leave 90% who are either happy with Mrs Mays deal or would want to stay my thoughts are if another referndum were held and three questions posed

Stay in EU
Hard Brexit from EU
Mrs Mays deal with EU

How that would turn out assuming everyone who voted before voted again and had not changed their minds regarding staying or leaving

A vote with these options is what we need, this is presenting Brexit as reality to the public.

Undemocratic ? Not at all.

Far worse would be a climb down to Norway deal without the public having any say. Now that Brexiteers would have a right to feel peeved about

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Did your father trouser EU subsidies? Not attacking your father, but I was always hearing about these and how they kept many farmers afloat, so curious more than anything

I'm sorry, your uncle

He got some very minor subsidies to plant new hedgerow ...... nothing that would make or break him.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
At no time have I said we're ready for a no deal or that it wouldn't be painful. I was pointing out that Watford zero's constant claim that a 'no deal' is an impossibility isn't true.

Simple question - if 'no deal' is the utter impossibility that Watford zero is claiming why have EU members, particularly the Dutch, spent so much on preparation for a 'no deal' ?

The Dutch have may noted our leaders are useless and preparing for that scenario, just in case they are really as stupid as they have shown up to this point?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It isn't the standards farmers have a problem with - it's CAP and the unfair competition from French farmers.

If I recall correctly, the French farmers used to burn the lorry loads of Welsh lamb that were raised with the subsidies that the French farmers didn't get ?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
He got some very minor subsidies to plant new hedgerow ...... nothing that would make or break him.

Ok thanks. I dont understand the unfair French competition either (or CAP) for that matter. I was always under the impression that farmers were doing ok with the EU

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

It'll be painful to the point that it's impossibility is derived from its lack of sustainability. It's mutually assured damage and a huge geopolitical crisis all of our own making.

Simple answer - because they have competent, responsible Government's implementing contingencies as best they can, to try to account for the unpredictable course of action and consequences, unintended or otherwise, of the clueless political basket-case that is The UK and it's Brexit policy.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Ok thanks. I dont understand the unfair French competition either (or CAP) for that matter. I was always under the impression that farmers were doing ok with the EU

Some UK farmers get reasonable amounts in subsidies but that is a small minority. A large chunk of subsidies are based of the amount of land you have to farm. A good section of British farmers use a relatively small amount of land and therefore get very little. French farmers on the other hand tend to have HUGE areas to farm and so CAP favours them. It's a very over simplistic comparison but French farmers get large amounts of money towards new equipment because of the amount of land they have. Most British farmers get zero towards new equipment. The rule around CAP subsidies runs into thousands of pages. The application form my Uncle had to complete just to get a subsidy to plant new hedgerow was over 100 pages !!!! CAP needs reforming but that will never happen because is favours the French farmers far too much for the to ever agree to change it. And before someone says it, no, I don't hate French farmers, good on them for getting such a good deal.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
It'll be painful to the point that it's impossibility is derived from its lack of sustainability. It's mutually assured damage and a huge geopolitical crisis all of our own making.

Simple answer - because they have competent, responsible Government's implementing contingencies as best they can, to try to account for the unpredictable course of action and consequences, unintended or otherwise, of the clueless political basket-case that is The UK and it's Brexit policy.

Fair answer - I just don;t see why they would spend the money on an impossiblity. Maybe they should start to spend some money of the possibility of the Sun exploding in the next 5 years ?

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Some UK farmers get reasonable amounts in subsidies but that is a small minority. A large chunk of subsidies are based of the amount of land you have to farm. A good section of British farmers use a relatively small amount of land and therefore get very little. French farmers on the other hand tend to have HUGE areas to farm and so CAP favours them. It's a very over simplistic comparison but French farmers get large amounts of money towards new equipment because of the amount of land they have. Most British farmers get zero towards new equipment. The rule around CAP subsidies runs into thousands of pages. The application form my Uncle had to complete just to get a subsidy to plant new hedgerow was over 100 pages !!!! CAP needs reforming but that will never happen because is favours the French farmers far too much for the to ever agree to change it. And before someone says it, no, I don't hate French farmers, good on them for getting such a good deal.

Ok, cheers for that

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To use your line towards GT49er - with all due respect, what do you know about farming in the UK ? My uncle is a farmer, admittedly about to retire, and knowing some of the horrors he's had to deal with from the EU around farming I can quite understand why so many farmers voted leave.

I do not claim to know anything about farming. And I never said I did. My response is to the very vocal Brexiteer farmers complaining, bleating and whinging about Brexit taking time.....and then wanting subsidies from British tax-payers. All I know is what they complain about.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Jesus, this thread is breaking out into a sensible reasoned discussion. Wake up people, there are winners and losers and no inbetweeners!!!

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
To use your line towards GT49er - with all due respect, what do you know about farming in the UK ? My uncle is a farmer, admittedly about to retire, and knowing some of the horrors he's had to deal with from the EU around farming I can quite understand why so many farmers voted leave.

But surely if farmers voted to leave and now find the consequences of leaving not to their taste it can reasonably be said that they are effectively admitting that their voting decision was based on a degree of ignorance, gullibility or emotion?

(I claim no special knowledge of farming but my family were farmers from the Viking invasion to the second world war and I know a few people in the business - my impression is that many of them will stick a finger up at bureaucrats on principle, and saw 23 June 2016 as an opportunity to do so.)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

So it favours the French and disadvantages all other 27 countries? One wonders how this continues to exists?

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
But surely if farmers voted to leave and now find the consequences of leaving not to their taste it can reasonably be said that they are effectively admitting that their voting decision was based on a degree of ignorance, gullibility or emotion?

I'm not aware they are complaining of the consequences ..... it's certainly not what the OP implied. I believe, like any business, they are complaining they don't know what the deal is, what the rules are going to be, and so therefore can't plan. Seems a reasonable complaint to me ..... especially given May's utter shambolic management.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
The Dutch have may noted our leaders are useless and preparing for that scenario, just in case they are really as stupid as they have shown up to this point?

I was talking to my tax advisor last night. He told me the tax authorities here (in the Netherlands) have back-up plans to fill whole office buildings with the new staff that they believe will be needed just to deal with the mountains of additional customs paperwork that will arise out of a no deal scenario.

Good news if you're an accountant/clerk/administrative assistant I guess.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'd say 40% chance we are not
I can't work out what's going to happen now. How are you thinking we'll leave? Are you expecting May to get a deal through (which I thought was unlikely, as the whole house seemed against it)? And if not, how will we leave?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here