Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Here are 15 things that happened thanks to a little help from Brussels:

1. The International Convention Centre

The EU chipped in £50 million towards the ICC and Symphony Hall which opened for business in 1991. It most famously welcomed global leaders, including Presidents Bill Clinton and Boris Yeltsin to the 1998 G8 Summit. Each year it hosts some 350 events including political and business conferences bringing hundreds of thousands of visitors to the city.

2. The NEC
National Exhibition Centre
National Exhibition Centre
There was further help for the city’s conference and exhibition industry with a £30 million cheque towards the refurbishment of the NEC - which of course is home to Crufts and many other major shows bringing thousands more to the city.

3. The West Coast Mainline
Virgin train
Virgin train (Image: Martin Keene/PA Wire)
Remember the upgrade of railway linking Birmingham to London, the North West and Scotland and reducing journey times in the process? The EU paid £66 million towards that.

4. Breaking the Concrete Collar

The demolition of Masshouse Circus
Those folks in Brussels helped Birmingham rid itself of one its biggest mistakes of the 1960s. It paid £9.1 million towards the redevelopment of Masshouse Circus in 2002, including the breaking of the Queensway flyover, known as the concrete collar, which had held back the expansion of the city centre for more than a generation.

5. The Town Hall

The inside of the Town Hall in Birmingham in order to help kids with autism.
Built in 1834 the Town Hall is the city’s premier historic building. But just over decade ago it was in a pretty sorry state, covered in soot and neglected. The EU, with a £3 million handout, was among a number of backers which saw it cleaned-up, its stonework restored and its interior refurbished and reopened in 2007.

6. Millennium Point
The Spitfire Gallery, Thinktank
The Spitfire Gallery, Thinktank
The home of the Thinktank Museum and Birmingham City University was completed in 2000, it was, through a £25.6 million investment, the the UK’s largest ERDF funded project at the time.

7. Innovation Hub

Over £6 million invested in Innovation Birmingham, the former Aston Science Park, bringing digital and high technology businesses and jobs to the city.

8. Jobs for young people

(Image: Pic: Gareth Fuller/PA Wire)
Only last month the city council accepted a £33 million EU social fund grant towards its scheme to get 16,000 Brummies, aged under 30, into employment .

9. Backing for business
Business
Business
Between 2007 and 2013, as the economy nose-dived, the European Regional Development Fund provided financial support for 24,910 West Midlands based businesses

10. The Assay Office
CGI of the converted Assay Office in Newhall Street
CGI of the converted Assay Office in Newhall Street
At the centre of Birmingham’s historic Jewellery Quarter is the Assay Office - one of the few places that precious metals can be tested and hall marked. Part of the cost of its expansion and relocation last year was covered with a £1.5 million EU grant.

11. MG Rover Task Force
Rover's Longbridge plant in Birmingham pictured in June 2003
Rover's Longbridge plant in Birmingham pictured in June 2003
The collapse of MG Rover in 2005 directly caused 6,000 redundancies, plus many further losses along the supply chains. The task force was set up to create jobs, invest and help get those workers back into employment. More than a third of its £176 million pot came from EU emergency funds.

12. University research
Chemistry apprentice
Chemistry apprentice
No wonder some of our universities are keen on the UK remaining in the EU. In the West Midlans alone between 2007 and 2013 universities benefited to the tune of about £260 million, funding research into health, food, energy, climate change and transport. They are receiving similar amounts under the new funding package.

13. Birmingham International Dance Festival
Performers at Birmingham's International Dance Festival
Performers at Birmingham's International Dance Festival
Grants totalling £741,000 over six years helped get the festival launched in 2008 and established. In 2014 the festival was estimated to be worth £2.6 million to the city’s visitor economy.

14. The African-Caribbean Millennium Centre

Chairman Martin Blissett outside the African-Caribbean Millennium Centre in Winson Green in 2004.
The EU gave £530,000 towards the setting up of this vital community centre in Winson Green.

15. The Nishkam Centre

Performance at the Nishkam Centre, Handsworth
The ERDF stumped up £2.5 million, of the £6 million cost of developing this facility for the Sikh community and wider population of Handsworth. It opened in 2006.

Well those 15 projects since 1991 are about 2 weeks membership fee, if that
Under impressed.

larus

So you think if we'd voted remained UK growth would have been significantly lower over the past 2 years? Is that seriously what you are suggesting?

Probably best if you quit now and stuck to your record number of low paid jobs keeping UK unemployment down stance

Doh. No, I’m not saying that as I can’t prove it. Same as you can’t prove that growth would have been different if we’d voted remain. Can’t you understand that?

Then again, you thought we were in the EURO so I guess not. Maybe stick to things you do understand as economics isn’t one.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Rubbish.Just some of our contributions being grudgingly given back.

I guess this is one of those issues that will only be sorted after the outcome of leaving (if indeed we do). I get what you mean with respect to Regional Aid/Structural funding merely being the recycling of (some) of our contribution to the EU Budget. In theory we could simply spend some of contribution directly on our 'own' struggling' areas and come out of it ahead of the game. But this to assume

1, that there are no other competing areas for that funding within the UK (and the bus that paraded around did sort of prioritise the NHS)

2. that the post-Brexit economy will be healthy enough to fund such regional priorities (sorry but this is even more dubious than 1,)

So the net effect will be a loss of funding towards these areas. Which makes it even more amazing that the like of Wales voted for leave. In crude terms biting the hand that feeds them...……..We'll see.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Well those 15 projects since 1991 are about 2 weeks membership fee, if that
Under impressed.

Pasta - I was just looking for news on the Jahanbakhsh transfer and I noticed on Brian Owen's Twitter from last night he's taken a photo of the cricket at 2030 time. Is that you on the right in the red shorts by any chance, or is day/night 1st Class Cricket too much political correctness gone mad for you?

[tweet]1021116962989133825[/tweet]

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Do you believe the crap you come out with? I've quoted ONE post from your past here. Unless I'm missing something, that doesn't seem particularly obsessive. You just need to stop lying.

I think we have done this to death. You think I'm a liar and I think you are a wannabe bully and I think you are harassing me. It's entirely up to you how much further you wish to go down that road but that's the last I have to say on the matter. Waste your time if you wish.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Pasta - I was just looking for news on the Jahanbakhsh transfer and I noticed on Brian Owen's Twitter from last night he's taken a photo of the cricket at 2030 time. Is that you on the right in the red shorts by any chance, or is day/night 1st Class Cricket too much political correctness gone mad for you?

[tweet]1021116962989133825[/tweet]

Definitely not me, now way i would still be vertical at 2030 on a day night game.
Thats power nap time
+ i never sit there at Hove

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I guess this is one of those issues that will only be sorted after the outcome of leaving (if indeed we do). I get what you mean with respect to Regional Aid/Structural funding merely being the recycling of (some) of our contribution to the EU Budget. In theory we could simply spend some of contribution directly on our 'own' struggling' areas and come out of it ahead of the game. But this to assume

1, that there are no other competing areas for that funding within the UK (and the bus that paraded around did sort of prioritise the NHS)

2. that the post-Brexit economy will be healthy enough to fund such regional priorities (sorry but this is even more dubious than 1,)

So the net effect will be a loss of funding towards these areas. Which makes it even more amazing that the like of Wales voted for leave. In crude terms biting the hand that feeds them...……..We'll see.

A lot of people on NSC seem to think that anywhere north of Gatwick is some third world country,and think civilisation only exists around them.Birmingham,for,example,has a rich history and prospects for an even richer future with lots of investment from China/Gulf states/Saudi etc.We don't need our own taxes trickled back to us from some corrupt EU officials.Applying for funding from corrupt civil servants is much easier.I don't think the EU's finances will be very healthy ever again,unless they invite Russia to join.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I think we have done this to death. You think I'm a liar and I think you are a wannabe bully and I think you are harassing me. It's entirely up to you how much further you wish to go down that road but that's the last I have to say on the matter. Waste your time if you wish.

Are you nibble or not? Did you threaten to leave the country if Brexit was voted for or not? Yes, I think you're a liar. You never actually respond to these points, you just gloss over without addressing them with replies such as "your obsession with my posting history is weird".

Did you threaten to meet up with or not? *chuckle* But I'm the bully?

I just think you're a liar and an idiot. Looking forward to you not replying though.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Meanwhile in Hastings, the former Home Secretary produced a video over the weekend in response to John McDonnell's visit to her constituency that appears to have been written by Steve Coogan, Neil Gibbons, Rob Gibbons and Armando Iannucci which really would have done their comic genius character Alan Partridge proud.

[tweet]1020661045474537472[/tweet]

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
A lot of people on NSC seem to think that anywhere north of Gatwick is some third world country,and think civilisation only exists around them.Birmingham,for,example,has a rich history and prospects for an even richer future with lots of investment from China/Gulf states/Saudi etc.We don't need our own taxes trickled back to us from some corrupt EU officials.Applying for funding from corrupt civil servants is much easier.I don't think the EU's finances will be very healthy ever again,unless they invite Russia to join.

Well somebody thought you needed the help.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Are you nibble or not? Did you threaten to leave the country if Brexit was voted for or not? Yes, I think you're a liar. You never actually respond to these points, you just gloss over without addressing them with replies such as "your obsession with my posting history is weird".

I just think you're a liar and an idiot. Looking forward to you not replying though.

I'll bite.
Never denied being Nibble
Had planned to live with family in Australia. My Stepfather was diagnosed with Bowel cancer. I stayed. Then met someone.
I regret offering to meet up, that was daft and I apologise. I should have kept my cool, exceptionally hard when I was being harassed by you endlessly, yet again.

There you go. You can believe all of it/none of it/anything you damned well like. I am going to ask you politely, one last time (and I think I have been very patient with you), drop the subject please. It's creepy and even worse than that, it's very dull.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I'll bite.
Never denied being Nibble drone etc

:lolol: Lovely stuff, kicked off with another absolute beauty of a lie. We all KNOW YOU DENIED BEING NIBBLE FFS :lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
:lolol: Lovely stuff, kicked off with another absolute beauty of a lie. We all KNOW YOU DENIED BEING NIBBLE FFS :lolol:

Sorry, what's your problem now? You repeatedly hound me and call me a liar and expect me not to reply? Your continual harassment is a bad choice.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010

It's great that Birmingham - and the wider West Midlands - has been able to attract foreign investment (and is continuing to do so). However, figures from the DTI show that every other region in the UK has seen a decrease in either the number of FDI projects or the amount of jobs being created by them. I think that's cause for concern.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Where is your evidence of that? I think you had better start producing some evidence to back your claims up. Because so far you are just perpetuating a lie and you are publicly accusing me of lying, repeatedly, which is harassment so I think it's about time, for your own sake, you started to produce something to back up your claims. And I would advise you to draw a line under the matter pretty sharpish.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Sorry, what's your problem now. You repeatedly hound me and call me a liar and expect me not to reply? Your continual harassment is a bad choice.
You made it clear you weren't going to say anything regardless of what I replied, but then you did.

I'm not hounding you, I'm just calling you out for being a liar because that's what you are. For example, you DID deny being nibble, and for months, so I'm sorry but I'm not going to let you get away with insisting you didn't as if saying it enough times will make it go away.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I have run ins with a handful of people. The same bully boys time and time again. And I really don't think you are one to be accusing others of having run ins. You argue with anyone you come across on here, due to your vicious, insulting posts. (Perhaps work on your own issues before addressing others').

Now, as thick a skin as I have there are only so many times I'm going to let you call me a liar. I'm rather a litigious individual, especially when it comes to false accusations.Being called a liar by idiots like your mob isn't really the issue, I know you are lying so I won't lose sleep over it, but you're wandering into the realms of harassment now and up with that I will not put, as they say!
You have made your point. It'd be best for you if you dropped the subject now. This is the last time I'll be discussing it on a public board.

Sorry, what's your problem now? You repeatedly hound me and call me a liar and expect me not to reply? Your continual harassment is a bad choice.

I assume [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] can look forward to the papers being in the post :laugh: Or was this post the very last time you'll be discussing it ...honest, the very last time :facepalm:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Where is your evidence of that? I think you had better start producing some evidence to back your claims up. Because so far you are just perpetuating a lie and you are publicly accusing me of lying, repeatedly, which is harassment so I think it's about time, for your own sake, you started to produce something to back up your claims. And I would advise you to draw a line under the matter pretty sharpish.

What, AGAIN? I've done this already and I'm happy to keep posting the same shit if you want. Christ...

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...f-March-2019&p=8463241&viewfull=1#post8463241

You sound more and more like Tim Hodges with every passing day. Act like a cock, back it up with vague threats of litigation, rinse and repeat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here