Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Absolutely this... Our representatives have forgotten to represent us. Their job was determine the best way to implement the will of the people not whether to implement it!

They don't know how without damaging the country.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Because brexiteers have no idea or general consensus of what they voted for. May's deal left the eu (the only thing voted for) and they still are not happy. Wierd. They really seem to be for something much more than just the referendum result. Something much more damaging.

There's dozens of different views of what people want from Brexit, a mate of mine, for example, voted Leave to "Put a stop to all them illegal immigrants" :ffsparr:

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
There's dozens of different views of what people want from Brexit, a mate of mine, for example, voted Leave to "Put a stop to all them illegal immigrants" :ffsparr:

I honestly think that was the overwhelming reason why the Brexit vote was so large.

There are undoubtedly strong economic and intellectual arguments for Brexit but they were not the main reason people voted for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
:lolol:
I am aware the current withdrawal agreement was defeated. I havnt lost anything though.
Try to engage brain.

To be fair, I think pastafarian is one of the last happy Brexiteers on here. He doesn't know what he wants and he doesn't know what he's going to get. :lolol:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Because brexiteers have no idea or general consensus of what they voted for. May's deal left the eu (the only thing voted for) and they still are not happy. Wierd. They really seem to be for something much more than just the referendum result. Something much more damaging.
I am a leaver but i can still see both sides. You seem particularly trammeled.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I honestly think that was the overwhelming reason why the Brexit vote was so large.

There are undoubtedly strong economic and intellectual arguments for Brexit but they were not the main reason people voted for it.

I think that the reason that the Brexit was so large was that people were promised that it would be the answer to any issue they were concerned about. Immigration, Sovereignty, Economic Growth, Jobs, Housing, Austerity, NHS, International Trade, Britain's 'standing' in the world, cost of food, etc etc

Whereas some people thought, 'this sounds to good to be true', some others thought 'Brilliant, where do i put my cross' :shrug:

Last edited:

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
I think that the reason that the Brexit was so large was that people were promised that it would be the answer to any issue they were concerned about. Immigration, Sovereignty, Economic Growth, Jobs, Housing, Austerity, NHS, International Trade, Britain's 'standing' in the world, cost of food, etc etc

Whereas some people thought, 'this sounds to good to be true', some others thought 'Brilliant, where do i put my cross' :shrug:

(I'd be interested in the economic and intellectual arguments for Brexit, if you can point me in the direction of some)

I am seriously impressed with your skills in judging actions and thoughts of people you don't even know.

Might be money in that.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

(I'd be interested in the economic and intellectual arguments for Brexit, if you can point me in the direction of some)
Heaven forbid that any leavers actually considered the pros and cons of EU membership and decided that it was an ineffective, corrupt organisation which was interested in impoverishing it's poorer members in an ideological race to become a country.

The EU has been fantastic for the poor hasn't it? Ask the Italians, Greeks, Spanish etc. But they don't matter, they aren't northern Europeans and have darker skin don't they?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

I'd be interested in the economic and intellectual arguments for Brexit (particularly the economic ones), if you can point me in the direction of some. It's just the only valid argument I have seen is the EU is going to get worse and make us adopt the Euro and take over our Government one, put forward by [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12825]cunning fergus[/MENTION]. I can see why they may think that, and can make a case. But it's only an opinion and one I think is wrong, as I believe the last 40 years of concessions proves what Britain can do within the EU.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Heaven forbid that any leavers actually considered the pros and cons of EU membership and decided that it was an ineffective, corrupt organisation which was interested in impoverishing it's poorer members in an ideological race to become a country.

The EU has been fantastic for the poor hasn't it? Ask the Italians, Greeks, Spanish etc. But they don't matter, they aren't northern Europeans and have darker skin don't they?

WTF ?

Well maybe when we've left and are trading under WTO defaults, we can abolish all import tariffs on Italy, Greece and Spain to help them out :shrug: (And before you start, WTO won't let you, Bringing back British sovereignty eh ?)

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
WTF ?

Well maybe when we've left and are trading under WTO defaults, we can abolish all import tariffs on Italy, Greece and Spain to help them out :shrug: (And before you start, WTO won't let you, Bringing back British sovereignty eh ?)

We'll be helping the whole world out as Britain gets flooded with unregulated stuff from all over place trashing our own industry and agriculture in the process. Ask Patrick Minford....

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
I feel that Brexit is now affecting my mental health. I seem to have lost any happiness that I had and instead spend much time feeling sad.
I realise the answer is to avoid the various news sharing outlets but find myself following it intently.
It's sad how it has caused so many of my friends and peers to be falling out with each other.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'd be interested in the economic and intellectual arguments for Brexit (particularly the economic ones), if you can point me in the direction of some. It's just the only valid argument I have seen is the EU is going to get worse and make us adopt the Euro and take over our Government one, put forward by [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12825]cunning fergus[/MENTION]. I can see why they may think that, and can make a case. But it's only an opinion and one I think is wrong, as I believe the last 40 years of concessions proves what Britain can do within the EU.

Where have I said we would be forced to take the Euro ?

It's rather arrogant of you believe you know why people voted for Brexit but then on the other hand say people didn't know what they were voting for.

I've stated my reasons for voting leave a number of occassions but just for you, and in summary as really can't be bothered to yet again state them all in great detail. I voted leave because what we are currently in isn't what the electorate agreed to in 1975 and we have been given no opportunity to air our views in 40 years. I do not believe one size fits all and the Euro proves that.I do not agree with the direction of travel of the EU to become evermore integrated - i.e. heading towards a fedral superstate. Slowly but surely the EU have started to put in the functions of becoming a state - a parliament, an executive, a president, supremecy of EU law over national law, supremecy of European courts, a foreign minister, a central bank - even last year both Macron and Merkel suggested the next security step was an EU army ( despite remainers promising this wasn't on the cards during the referendum campaign ). So taking all of this into account and the likelihood that the electorate wouldn't get another say for 40 more years, I voted leave. I will vote leave again if there is a second referendum as well.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
That statement really shows little understanding of the reasons MP's voted the way they did. Why do you think that Brexiteers and Remainers were BOTH campaigning together outside parliament against May's deal?

One group has made a mistake though. For one set it is too Brexity, for the others it is not Brexity enough, they cannot both be accommodated and so one group is going to be more disappointed with what comes next. Unless one group is only pretending that it is not Brexity enough for them, and actually want a softer Brexit, because a hard one will show them up for the charlatans they are.
The Remainers/soft Brexiters didn't like the end game aims, the ERG loons didn't like the Withdrawal agreement backstop, presumably because they don't really believe that Magic Border technology can fix it all, and they were just saying that when it suited them.

It is pretty clear that Parliament is not going to allow a slide into No Deal, and I don't believe the PM would go for that either. What will pass is something akin to Norway proposed as the end point, this will still require the same/similar withdrawal agreement that Rees-Mogg and Johnson are so upset with, including the backstop for if negotiations are not complete in time, but will have the backing of the more rational Tory MP's and the opposition.
The only chance of a harder Brexit I believe, is now via a referendum, and a rescinding of A50 to give us more time in which to prepare for it, if the ERG can get that on the ballot. Then I am pretty sure we will see hard Leavers suddenly finding a second referendum more appealing and less of an affront to democracy than they have been saying. The rest of the House won't allow one without Remain being an option though.

My reckoning is May will survive todays challenge, a cross party chat will give us something that looks Norwayish as the end point, Rees-Mogg and the ERG will call it Vassalage, Farage will call it a sell out, despite having advocated just that for years, and Dan Hannan will call it a sensible compromise, because it is what he has wanted all along, but it will be put to us in a referendum as this Brexit or Remain, and I have no idea which would win. But it would be interesting to see which side Johnson and Rees-Mogg backed and their reasoning.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yes I think we will, in some form. No, I don't think we should.

One thing is for certain, whatever happens it's not going to please everyone, and the country will be as divided as ever.

The lesson to learn from all this is don't leave big, complicated decisions in the hands of the masses. The masses are morons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here