Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Quite: please forward to William Rees Mogg.

it seems he understands that. maybe you've misunderstood. a tariff can be set for Steel 10%, coffee at 80%, textiles at 15% so on. you just have to set it the same for all other WTO members, not set differently for USA or Ukraine (some exceptions allowed). Rees-Mogg is proposing we set tariffs for say coffee to 0%. fwiw, i'm not sure how far that will take us because while we famously dont have any manufacturing, we do actually still make a lot of things and will find every industry complain. i'm in favour of simply having blanket free trade, and thats the direction of travel anyway with WTO albeit slowly. who knows by the time we leave the EU that may be the case...

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I can't actually recall where I first came across these views of Minford. Perhaps it was a news report on TV; perhaps a press report. Maybe I read an article he wrote for the Grantham Chronicle. I do confess that I haven't spent an evening with him.

But let's look at your position on what you call hand-me-downs. It's ludicrous.

You are saying that no one should comment on anything anyone says unless they read the full text of the original article or listen to an entire speech. Unless they do they are, according to you, relying on context-free third party hand-me-downs. Oh well, that's the work of the world's most respected journalists and commentators in the bin then. What are they if not third parties? Obviously you should take care not to rely on misleading extracts from anything but what you say is absolutist rubbish. Stop being so endlessly aggressive.

PS Just out of interest, where did Minford's article originally appear?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
yes, i got rather muddled over seamless border vs no border. of course there would be a border, the question is how you control/manage it. Ireland is being used as an acid test, but in a way to stifle any possible agreement. discussions go round in a circle until someone says "will this work for NI/Ireland?". the default from remainers is "no". however the Irish want a seamless border, the UK want seamless border and the EU say they want there to be a seamless border. normally, you'd expect 3 parties concern being in agreement to work out a solution, instead we have a wall thrown up that its inconceivable that any workable solution can be achieved.

That's where the Customs Union and Free Trade Area come in to the equation, you need to be in the EU.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
it seems he understands that. maybe you've misunderstood. a tariff can be set for Steel 10%, coffee at 80%, textiles at 15% so on. you just have to set it the same for all other WTO members, not set differently for USA or Ukraine (some exceptions allowed). Rees-Mogg is proposing we set tariffs for say coffee to 0%. fwiw, i'm not sure how far that will take us because while we famously dont have any manufacturing, we do actually still make a lot of things and will find every industry complain. i'm in favour of simply having blanket free trade, and thats the direction of travel anyway with WTO albeit slowly. who knows by the time we leave the EU that may be the case...

Well I'll certainly agree with you but I wouldn't say 'slowly' I'd say 'glacially'. And of course by eschewing tariff on imports we'd be turning our back on the revenues raised. I can see how he Minford model (and I suspect that Moggies' nuanced this) can work if you are ideologically wedded to free market economics but I can't for the life of me see it as something that could be implemented. Perhaps JRM should really provide some more details rather than throwaway comments in interviews?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
That's where the Customs Union and Free Trade Area come in to the equation, you need to be in the EU.

so being in the EU is the only possible way for this to work?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
How about we keep tariff for items produced in countries with poor human rights?
How about we keep tariff for items produced in environmentally damaging ways?

I'm not aware this happens currently but I would certainly support it. And of course to be able to do this unilaterally we would need to be out of the customs union and single market.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
so being in the EU is the only possible way for this to work?

Incredibly complicated about being in one but not another otherwise it would have been sorted out easily.... it's like being " A little bit pregnant " you either one or the other.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Incredibly complicated about being in one but not another otherwise it would have been sorted out easily.... it's like being " A little bit pregnant " you either one or the other.
Even Minford's mob admit that there would be issues/problems/negatives in the short-term if we crashed out. Indeed they don't even 'model' the short term scenario (say 15 years at least). There's an irony here: even if they are right the benefits will be lost on the legions of older Brexit voters. To modify Keynes 'in the short run, many Brexit voters will be dead'.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

except its not, there's a number of exceptions and special arrangements with the EU. like say Channel Islands, free trade of goods but not in the EU.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
except its not, there's a number of exceptions and special arrangements with the EU. like say Channel Islands, free trade of goods but not in the EU.

Oh, that's all right then, I don't see what the fuss is about then ?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
You seem to have confused me with someone who cares what the esteemed economist forecasts.
I was more interested in your ability to continually cherry pick certain words from that article and not being able or willing to quote longer sections to add context.

Misrepresenting opinions is par for the course with the Impster he does the same with the vote leave Director. On the plus side at least he doesn't blatantly lie or continually troll like many others members of the Remainiac gang.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Misrepresenting opinions is par for the course with the Impster he does the same with the vote leave Director. On the plus side at least he doesn't blatantly lie or continually troll like many others members of the Remainiac gang.

Oh bloody hell, I can't keep up with which gang I am in, is it groovy, nerdy or Remainiac?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

I'm not sure I would regard Pasta as a model of sober and calm posting but I am sure he will appreciate your support. Now. Misrepresenting opinions. As far as I can work out his latest view appears to be that believing a raft of reports on what someone has said makes a person guilty of seizing on context-free, third party received opinions. You have to read the original apparently, in full. He accuses me of cherry-picking 'that article' when I don't have a clue what article he is talking about.

But as I say, I am sure he appreciates your support. Does it extend to his announcement that Mutti is a murderer?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Oh bloody hell, I can't keep up with which gang I am in, is it groovy, nerdy or Remainiac?

As a supposed member of the Little Englander, Brextremist, knuckle-dragging, fascist, racist, thickie gang I know how you feel!

To answer your question though ... idealistic, Federalist gang? :D

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I'm not sure I would regard Pasta as a model of sober and calm posting but I am sure he will appreciate your support. Now. Misrepresenting opinions. As far as I can work out his latest view appears to be that believing a raft of reports on what someone has said makes a person guilty of seizing on context-free, third party received opinions. You have to read the original apparently, in full. He accuses me of cherry-picking 'that article' when I don't have a clue what article he is talking about.

But as I say, I am sure he appreciates your support. Does it extend to his announcement that Mutti is a murderer?

Probably more culpable homicide/manslaughter. Encouraging people to come to Europe via death trap boats or people smuggling gangs should certainly result in some punishment.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here