Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
Whose morals? Your morals? Which of us has the right to seize the ethical high ground and undermine the firm, sincerely held beliefs of our elected MPs..... They are humans with convictions and are elected to serve our interests, not always simply to implement our will; do you not understand that distinction? Before answering, please reflect for a moment.....

In this situation ' We' ( the public) were asked to basically answer a question for them. Hence the referendum was called. They obviously didn't have the answer. The result also obviously wasn't the result most of them were expecting,for reasons best known to them. However if you ask the public any question and don't like the answer they in my opinion should act on it. Whether they're obliged to or not. Morally they should act on it.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I don't agree, mate. If you campaign on a ticket and THEN change your policy after being elected, then I fully agree 100%. However, if you've always believed something that goes against the beliefs of your electorate but they elect you anyway, I think you're entitled to campaign for what you always stood for.

Now if you want to talk about morals and MPs who say one thing and then do another, look no further than duplicitous fat chancer, Boris Johnson who stood for election in a West London constituency because it was a safe Tory seat, shouted loudly about how unfair Heathrow runway 5 was to his constituents, but then ran off to Brussels for no real reason on the day the Heathrow vote went through the Commons. Politicians don't come more duplicitous, selfish and immoral than him.

Heard an interesting line on Boris the other day. Apparently he more or less 'fessed up to Cameron that he thought the Leavers would lose the vote. This is a bit like the stories you hear that Trump was convinced he wouldn't win the presidency and thus had no cue what to do when he arrive in the White House. So this might explain why the likes of Boris never had a plan: they simply didn't expect to have to implement it.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
In this situation ' We' ( the public) were asked to basically answer a question for them. Hence the referendum was called. They obviously didn't have the answer. The result also obviously wasn't the result most of them were expecting,for reasons best known to them. However if you ask the public any question and don't like the answer they in my opinion should act on it. Whether they're obliged to or not. Morally they should act on it.

I have to admit that you have a point.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

In 2016 it seems the government asked the electorate whether we should spend billions of pounds on building a submarine made out of cheese. The British public were really very unconvinced about the benefits of this, but on balance just about thought it might be a bit of a giggle to do so.

Two years later, Theresa May - despite campaigning that building a submarine made out of cheese was a waste of money and wouldn't be fit for purpose, didn't ask the public if they were absolutely sure and has just built a submarine made out of cheese anyway. And guess what, it smells horrible, it doesn't really keep the water out, you can't put anybody in it, and when it comes into contact with water, it wants to fold into a mushy putrid mess.

Anna Soubry is maintaining what she said all along - that a submarine made out of cheese would be a massive waste of money and completely pointless. I don't really see what's wrong with that, personally. It's better than what Jacob Rees-Mogg appears to be doing - blaming the failure of this submarine made out of cheese entirely on the Republic Of Ireland for having the temerity to not bother concreting over the Irish Sea.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
In 2016 it seems the government asked the electorate whether we should spend billions of pounds on building a submarine made out of cheese. The British public were really very unconvinced about the benefits of this, but on balance just about thought it might be a bit of a giggle to do so.

Two years later, Theresa May - despite campaigning that building a submarine made out of cheese was a waste of money and wouldn't be fit for purpose, didn't ask the public if they were absolutely sure and has just built a submarine made out of cheese anyway. And guess what, it smells horrible, it doesn't really keep the water out, you can't put anybody in it, and when it comes into contact with water, it wants to fold into a mushy putrid mess.

Anna Soubry is maintaining what she said all along - that a submarine made out of cheese would be a massive waste of money and completely pointless. I don't really see what's wrong with that, personally. It's better than what Jacob Rees-Mogg appears to be doing - blaming the failure of this submarine made out of cheese entirely on the Republic Of Ireland for having the temerity to not bother concreting over the Irish Sea.

Plooks ? Is that you ?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Plooks ? Is that you ?
Eh? My point is that someone who has always been honest about their beliefs absolutely shouldn't feel obliged to abandon those beliefs.

There will be majorities in some constituencies who believe the death penalty is a good idea, but that doesn't mean the local MP should campaign for that if it's not what they believe in.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Eh? My point is that someone who has always been honest about their beliefs absolutely shouldn't feel obliged to abandon those beliefs.

There will be majorities in some constituencies who believe the death penalty is a good idea, but that doesn't mean the local MP should campaign for that if it's not what they believe in.

My response was about your ridiculously daft analogy rather than your point.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

They did, (act on it) they gave assent to A50 notification. Now they are arguing about whether the deal May has agreed is something they can agree to or not, and what should happen if they can't. Some say leave without a deal, some say leave with the current deal, some think they can negotiate something different, some say ask the people if any of the leave versions take their fancy more than remaining.

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My response was about your ridiculously daft analogy rather than your point.
I don't expect you to agree with the analogy, but the point stands because that is a reasonable analogy in Anna Soubry's eyes.

Well done for engaging with someone who isn't the remain village-idiot,by the way. Makes a change for you. :kiss:

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003

Should an MP have to go to their constituents to ask their opinion of every matter that comes up and act accordingly?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
This risk exists now, sometimes these murdering rapists scarper over here...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-36640117

If i may be so bold, that kind of abusive conduct could well see you banned.......#justsayin

Of course they do, but there is Interpol to help bring those people to justice. The question is which scenario is likely to make us safer: very open borders and interpol, OR a more restricted border but no access to interpol whatsover.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
I don't agree, mate. If you campaign on a ticket and THEN change your policy after being elected, then I fully agree 100%. However, if you've always believed something that goes against the beliefs of your electorate but they elect you anyway, I think you're entitled to campaign for what you always stood for.

Now if you want to talk about morals and MPs who say one thing and then do another, look no further than duplicitous fat chancer, Boris Johnson who stood for election in a West London constituency because it was a safe Tory seat, shouted loudly about how unfair Heathrow runway 5 was to his constituents, but then ran off to Brussels for no real reason on the day the Heathrow vote went through the Commons. Politicians don't come more duplicitous, selfish and immoral than him.

I see your Boris and raise you Neil Kinnock, twice stood for PM against Thatch, would have taken us out the EEC, then lo and behold he gets a job on the EU commission, his missus becomes an MEP. His son after getting a “job” carrying Daddy’s bag to work gets a shoe-in to work for the British Council while living in Switzerland. Nice work.

Now Labour MP for Aberavon.....the place where Steel’s made.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Of course they do, but there is Interpol to help bring those people to justice. The question is which scenario is likely to make us safer: very open borders and interpol, OR a more restricted border but no access to interpol whatsover.

Prevention is better than cure........by the way Brexit wont affect our membership of interpol, they will still be out there capturing the murderers and rapists around the world after they have killed and raped people in the UK, so dont fret about that.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Well done for engaging with someone who isn't the remain village-idiot,by the way. Makes a change for you. :kiss:

Why thank you, but I'm afraid baiting Plooks is my hobby ...... it entertains me. Sad I know but we all have dirty secret habits :wink:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Why thank you, but I'm afraid baiting Plooks is my hobby ...... it entertains me. Sad I know but we all have dirty secret habits :wink:

It's all very well you acknowledging it's sad, and I would never knock a dirty habit, but the real issue is it's incredibly tedious for the rest of us :p

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Prevention is better than cure........by the way Brexit wont affect our membership of interpol, they will still be out there capturing the murderers and rapists around the world after they have killed and raped people in the UK, so dont fret about that.

I guess Europol is totally unnecessary then, if Interpol can do it all.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Let's hope it isn't YOUR daughter who is one of the victims when a serial rapist scarpers to freedom in Portugal, eh? You absolute f**king tosser. :wanker:

Oh dear,how sad,never mind.You are very free with the abuse.Strange you haven't called me a nazi-have you lot been told to stop using fascist?If you are as intelligent as you appear to think you are,you will know Interpol would be on the case in no seconds nothing.How would they get to Portugal?On the Windrush?Clown.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here