Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Well Brexit is showing benefits already. Well, as long as you are not British or own British companies. Blue passports made in France. Extra operational ferries owned by the Dutch/France. Fridge storage for the NHS built abroad.

But, of course we are taking control of our poor economic future, so all worth it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
That is quite insane if you think about it. Exactly what part of WW2 was "glorious" for anyone? To refer to an even that killed millions as "glorious" is delusional! But then that is brexit thinking all over I suppose.
The glory comes from the fact that we hung on and,with help, slowly turned the course of the war around. But, that was 70 years ago and the world has changed and moved on.

Nowadays our " Pluck " has all but disappeared and it only takes a temporary crash in online banking, or a Drone suspected of flying near an airport to cause chaos. Even a sudden lack of Chicken creates mayhem!

We now live in a " Just in Time " economic society that demands goods and services shuffled and hurried onwards 24 hours a day. And we have now just given £14m to a ferry company with no ships!

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
That is quite insane if you think about it. Exactly what part of WW2 was "glorious" for anyone? To refer to an even that killed millions as "glorious" is delusional! But then that is brexit thinking all over I suppose.

I think the people of occupied Europe felt a sense of some “Glory” after years of German aggression came to an end, I fully understand why a Fifth columnist would not understand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think the people of occupied Europe felt a sense of some “Glory” after years of German aggression came to an end, I fully understand why a Fifth columnist would not understand.

" Fifth Columnist " ? ha ha, what an insult! That really does go back a bit, at least move it on a bit by using "Reds under The Bed"

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes it is,they said if they are legally entitled to be here they will automatically have indefinite leave to remain, settled status allows them to stay here as long as they want(indefinitely ), all we have to do is check they are legally entitled to be here and then they will automatically have settled status. I hope you are not saying they should be exempt from any checks(including criminal ones) to see if they are entitled.

“There will be no change for EU citizens already lawfully resident in the UK. These EU citizens will automatically be granted indefinite leave to remain in the UK and will be treated no less favourably than they are at present”.

If they are from the EU, entered under their own name, and have not been denied entry, they are here legally, whether they have a criminal record or not. True?
Do you think it possible that some people who would be entitled to apply, and would be expected to be given settled status will fail for one reason or another, to do so? What will be done with them? Will they automatically be deported, or will they have to apply for deportation and pay a fee for that to happen?

If you have to apply, it is not automatic. If you have to pay a fee, it is not automatic. If you want to believe it is, I have an automatic car you might want to buy, you just need to press the clutch in and shift the gear stick and it changes gear automatically. Give yourself one of those hats you are fond of.

Is this just another one of those things, like the £350 million a week, that was said but everyone knew was bollox, so doesn't need to be counted as a lie?

fanseagull

Dec 18, 2018

That is a disgraceful accusation; whatever our (massive) differences, resorting to that sort of language is totally out of order.......
Just so you (and anyone else interested) know what you infer.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fifth_column

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Just listening to Neil MacGregger on radio 4 talking about how the rest of the world views us the British, the German Prime minister was saying he thought the way we view the past is fundamentally different to how they see the past ours we see as a glorious past while Germany sees their past as dark times, and that it is these views projected onto the two countries views of Europe and the EU, Britan harking back to a glorious past while Germany looks to the future to ensure the past is never repeated

This made me think this was not always the case once Germany through collective madness made terrible decisions when the Nazis looked back at Germany's glorious past to find their way forward I doubt many if any at the start thought that this would ultimately lead to the deaths of over 30 million.

Britans past had lots of moments that are glorious and in resent times the Second World War is one of them that we should be rightly proud but we also need to remember that not all of our past was glorious our role in Slavery, we invented concentration camps, support of apartheid South Africa, To name but a few.

Will our collective decision to leave the EU end up resulting in us very much like the Germans looking back at history as dark times.

Whilst I do not think this will lead us to anything like as dark a period as that, it will be seen as a pause in progress at the very least, but maybe it is the step backwards we need to take so that the path forward is more visible. I just hope we don't end up so desperate after the breakup with the EU that we jump into bed with the Yanks on the rebound and get stuck in a very much more one sided relationship.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
No bloody clue what a fifth columinst is. I assumed it was some sort of mad rambling typo.

He is using it as a way of putting down disagreement as support for an enemy.
A fifth column is a term used to describe those who weaken a group from within, for the benefit of an outside group. Like if a Brit had acted for and distributed funds to promote an outcome that benefitted Russia, for example.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No bloody clue what a fifth columinst is. I assumed it was some sort of mad rambling typo.
It's a vacuous term used to accuse someone of being a traitor or the 5th most senior Journalist on a local newspaper.

Utterly ridiculous of course ,but in the present climate, one which is on the rise thanks to the clock ticking down towards Brexit/ No Deal / No Brexit.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
He is using it as a way of putting down disagreement as support for an enemy.
A fifth column is a term used to describe those who weaken a group from within, for the benefit of an outside group. Like if a Brit had acted for and distributed funds to promote an outcome that benefitted Russia, for example.
Interesting analogy, the Russian connection is one that needs more exposure to examination.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Seaborne Freight,you couldn't make it up !!

Awarded £13.8M government contract to run ferries in the event of a Brexit No Deal,the fact that company does not have one ferry/ship never run a ferry service before let alone have a trading licence appears to be of no concern to those at HM Government. Words fail me !:lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here