Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The last bit is bang on and why the vote was stupid. How can the whole future of our country be based on people essentially saying "screw you" with little idea about what it meant. Anyone who thinks the vast majority had a good idea about all of the implications is dreaming.

The thing being that it wasn't just Osbourne and his cane that people rebelled against - it was because many thought ( rightly or wrongly ) that for many years they hadn't been given a meaningful input into the direction of the UK's relationship with the EU. Even as an ardent leaver I believe that had Labour made good it's pledge to have a vote on the Lisbon Treaty then the latest referendum would never have happened. Yes they would have lost first of all but after negotiation and fudging they would have won a second vote and everyone ( bar a smallish minority including me ) would have felt good that they had a say.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Oh no ! How will we cope without such a pointless competition ? The fact that Leeds and Milton Keynes were on the list shows how daft it is.

The more germane question is why did all those places waste a heap of taxpayers' money in a contest they weren't eligible for?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I think that remain predictions of doom can be said to have been set to the wrong timetable, as it has turned out. The only lies as such from Cameron, were that he would not resign if he lost the referendum and that he would trigger article 50 immediately. I think he knew he would resign if he lost, and that as such, the next Prime Minister should have the responsibility of giving notice.
The other stuff regarding recessions, job losses and emergency budgets etc. may well have come to pass if Boris had got the job (as many thought he would), and he had taken the approach he seems to be trying to get May to take. Cameron and Osborne could also not have predicted the Bank of Englands response, to cut interest rates and stuff another £60 billion of QE into the economy, which has undoubtedly had an effect. We are not out of the woods yet, and leaving without agreements in place could make some remain predictions look a bit optimistic.
I think it true that remain voters probably had the economy in mind more than leave voters, I think leave voters had immigration more in mind than remain voters. I think both sets of voters had the best interests of the country in mind, I think both campaigns had winning in mind, and would take any measures they could get away with to do so.
Leave asked us to vote for "sunny uplands", remain asked us to vote for "more of the same". I get why remain lost the referendum, what interests me now is if significant numbers have changed their view, I have noticed less of the voices saying we should just walk away and get on with it.

Considering how unreliable polling data is and how it changes and swings both ways you are never going to have an actual realistic understanding of how many have changed their view. Even if another referendum happens in years to come, on rejoining or staying out you will only get an indication of voter swings either way in general. You would have to attach a specific question to a referendum of did you vote last time/how did you vote last time/how did you vote this time if you wanted specific numbers to crunch on how many had changed views either way, but since we don’t do this we remain in the dark.
This is why politics is so interesting, so many variables and uncertainties that with the best will in the world polling, or believing if someone says something(eg a Cummings opinion) it must be true, cannot provide the real answers to, sometimes you just have to wait until the votes are counted and see if the public has surprised everyone or not..

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Aaah I love being reminded that this shitshow is all happening because of a 52/48 result.

So if we beat Manure 5 - 4 you will demand a rematch?:lolol:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Dundee,European City of Culture?Most people who live there think it's the biggest slum in Europe!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
City of Culture 2008 in the news today.Lots of European visitors!:lolol:

turd.jpg

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I also like the dismissal of a second vote.

A simple analogy would be being told that around the corner there is a pot of gold if you go and get it. So the people voted and agreed it was a good idea. However they took a look around the corner and rather than a pot of gold there were some hungry wolves. Would the people say
1. We agreed we had to round the corner
2. Oops. Maybe this wasn't such a good idea so let's stay as we are.

Very basic analogy but it applies. A decision was made based on lots of false information (both sides) but once the reality is there for all to see wouldn't it be better to check? Obviously once facts are known there might be ten pots of gold so leave would win by even further than the massive 52 48

Or maybe government should stop evaluating policies and stop the ones not working and just plough on?

Your analogy is shit as you still end up going round the corner(leaving) anyway as agreed even if its going round the corner(leaving) to discover wolves
What you appear to want is on discovering wolves when you have gone round the corner(left), you want to evaluate the reality of being round the corner(life after leaving) and you want to change direction and go back round the corner again.

Sounds fair,I don’t think anyone has suggested after we have left you shouldn’t have the democratic right to rejoin( go back round the corner). Its only been commented that you would face quite a task convincing people to rejoin a club(after leaving) especially as its likely terms of membership will be even crappier.(opinion)

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You can polish a turd as much as you like,but it's still a turd :shit:

So you are all for Britain standing proud on it's own two feet but haven't even got the passion about the UK to support one of it's most historically significant, culturally important, industrially profound cities like Liverpool. Nor do you have the intelligence to realise how unintelligent this makes you look.

And the phrase is simply "you can't polish a turd". So no you cannot "polish a turd as much as you like".

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the stuff about travel and UK aircraft emerged after the referendum not before. I put them in the same category (although less malign) as the claim that we were more likely to be murdered by a terrorist if we we remained in the EU. And that claim was before June 23, so would have affected the result. As was Farage's TV claim that dusky foreign types may well rape our women. As was Vote Leave's claims that food would be 17 per cent cheaper, that the average family would see its cost of living go down by £200 a month and that doctors' waiting lists would be shorter.

The Remain campaign certainly overstated the immediate economic effect of a leave vote, but as the numbers get ever gloomier it seems increasingly that their main error was one of timing. The Leave merchants were the true purveyors of doom-laden lies. As the man who directed them says, they were enough to give you the victory you dreamt of. Be grateful for the lies, but don't claim any sort of moral virtue.

Pants on fire .....

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/brexit-could-trigger-world-war-7928607

http://webarchive.nationalarchives....eureferendum.gov.uk/what-happens-if-we-leave/

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...fear-brexit-conflict-good-friday-agreement-eu

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...house-prices-by-18-says-osborne-a7039981.html

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/...-20-Brexit-wiping-450bn-share-valuations.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/matthew-ellery/leave-lies-remainers-need_b_12191462.html

:facepalm:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's just trying to make no news, bad news, because they haven't got anything else to write about at the moment.

Haha! Yes, that's right. There's nothing else going on in the world for them to write about. :facepalm:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here