Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42315280

I struggle to keep up with this thread.

But assuming some of you have been posting about this report. What a load of BBC biased nonsense. The headline is totally deceiving.

"Fears grow across the Atlantic over Brexit fallout"

The reality is the report actually says that even with no deal the country will only be 4.9% poorer by 2029.

Then says:

Other trade scenarios could be better for the UK than WTO rules but still lead to economic losses compared with EU membership. These include ‘hard Brexit’ scenarios, such as a UK-EU free trade agreement (net UK GDP decline of 1.9 per cent 10 years after Brexit), UK-US free trade agreement (2.5 per cent decline) or UK-EU transitional zero-tariff agreement (2.1 per cent decline), and ‘soft Brexit’ scenarios, such as the Norway option (1.7 per cent decline), Switzerland option (2.4 per cent decline) or remaining part of the Customs Union (1.8 per cent decline)."

The headline could actually have said, "American think tank predicts little problem for UK post Brexit!"

Who at the BBC is accountable for this kind of scaremongering nonsense?

The report says Brexit will be bad for the US, that is why it is fair to say "fears grow across the Atlantic over Brexit fallout" Unless there are other reports on how the US would be affected that are more pessimistic, I think the headline is accurate.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42315280

I struggle to keep up with this thread.

But assuming some of you have been posting about this report. What a load of BBC biased nonsense. The headline is totally deceiving.

"Fears grow across the Atlantic over Brexit fallout"

The reality is the report actually says that even with no deal the country will only be 4.9% poorer by 2029.

Then says:

Other trade scenarios could be better for the UK than WTO rules but still lead to economic losses compared with EU membership. These include ‘hard Brexit’ scenarios, such as a UK-EU free trade agreement (net UK GDP decline of 1.9 per cent 10 years after Brexit), UK-US free trade agreement (2.5 per cent decline) or UK-EU transitional zero-tariff agreement (2.1 per cent decline), and ‘soft Brexit’ scenarios, such as the Norway option (1.7 per cent decline), Switzerland option (2.4 per cent decline) or remaining part of the Customs Union (1.8 per cent decline)."

The headline could actually have said, "American think tank predicts little problem for UK post Brexit!"

Who at the BBC is accountable for this kind of scaremongering nonsense?

Only 5% poorer by 2029 is not too bad?

Our GDP is 2.6 trillion. I believe this is written 2,600,000,000,000

So one percent is 26,000,000,000

So 5 per cent is 130 billion.

Brexit was sold as an extra 350 million a week for the NHS. This "not losing much" is more than the entire current Nhs budget. Should have put that on a bus.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
How do you read "No borders and alignment with all EU Directives and Regulations" ?

i was refering to 5ways/Giraffe. if you want i can argue about your interpretation of the agreement, seems rather pointless as we wont agree.

though i do wonder how you read the phrases "Both Parties have reached agreement in principle", "nothing is agreed until it is agreed" and "This does not prejudge any adaptations that might be appropriate in case transitional arrangements were to be agreed in the second phase of the negotiations". to me they mean there's no current final agreement in place, your view may be different :shrug:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Our GDP is 2.6 trillion. I believe this is written 2,600,000,000,000

So one percent is 26,000,000,000

So 5 per cent is 130 billion.

Brexit was sold as an extra 350 million a week for the NHS. This "not losing much" is more than the entire current Nhs budget. Should have put that on a bus.

We're about £22BN short so far and haven't left yet, so quite an optimistic forecast for a no deal Brexit. 4.9% decline versus EU is more likely if we do get a deal

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

no, its 5% less richer. so if GDP is forecast to grow by say 25% over that period, the report predicts worse case impact would be growth of 20%. the predictions are always incorrect anyway, and are the mid-point of a range of possible futures.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
no, its 5% less richer. so if GDP is forecast to grow by say 25% over that period, the report predicts worse case impact would be growth of 20%. the predictions are always incorrect anyway, and are the mid-point of a range of possible futures.

5% less richer, sounds better doesn't it. Do you think the JAMS that were stitched up by Farage, Banks etc will buy it?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
As I have said before, there would need to be a referendum if there were any new treaty or amendment to an existing one, it is in UK law. So you really did not have to take a preemptive vote to leave. On that basis, would you like to remain now, and leave if the Federal thing ever comes to fruition?
Leave now thankyou.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Yes if you voted for Brexit because you didn't want to be in the EU because you don't like it, fair enough,not flawed. But voting for Brexit "purely in the belief that having ultimate rule of law and government", when we already have the ultimate rule of law and government doesn't make sense to me.
Likewise, I still don't get why you can't see that this vote has been the only way to get back that rule of law. I suspect we are going around in circles with this so I'm going to bow out of this now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here