Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

fanseagull

Dec 18, 2018
If you are not a troll,then what was CC's job before manager?

As I say 2p, your stories, trivialities, mantras, denials and general amnesia causes me (and probably others) to doubt your credibility.... now you are becoming incoherent and pointless. Why should anyone attempt to engage in an adult debate with you?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
1 new act of parliament v 800-1000 new statuary instruments required, several new pieces of primary legislation, numerous systems, processes, international and EU agreements to be replicated, and regulatory bodies to be set up, as well as the infrastructural requirements and staffing compliments to function as a country. All in less than 3 months.

A very good summary of why 'no deal' is complete and utter fantasy and what no leaver from Nige, Boris, and JRM all the way down to their naive followers on a football forum have ever explained :rolleyes:

A 'No deal transition period' :facepalm:
A 'Managed no deal' :facepalm::facepalm:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Nobody knows ...... that's the point. Glad you agree with me that the 29th March can't be stopped or delayed without another act ..... some reality at last from a remainer rather than clutching at straws that A50 can just be revoked. May's deal won't pass but I also don't think there's a majority in favour of revoking A50. My best guess is that May will resign after the vote on her deal falls, Labour will win a no confidence vote forcing a GE and we'll end up with a hung parliament from said GE. A50 will be extended by default thanks to the GE.

Now I know it's not what you want, but I'm sure you agree now that, whatever the legal/parliamentary hoops, we are not going to get a 'no deal' Brexit on 29th March ?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It can be amended to alter or remove the date, The act uses "exit day" throughout to describe when it's provisions will come into force, and defines this only once, in interpretation, as "29th March 2019 at 11pm", I don't think it would take much to change that single line to "a date to be decided"

That would still also require agreement from The EU27 and European Parliament though surely? It goes back to Notification of Withdrawal Act in 2017 prior to invoking A50, which via another act of on parliament we can unilaterally revoke ourselves without asking for an extension. It's got to be the way forward to buy time. #takebackcontrol

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Just reading about the Dublin Agreement this morning. Apparently if we do end up going the no deal route we'd be out of the Dublin Agreement which would mean we're then unable boot out some asylum seekers:

David Wood, former deputy chief executive of the Border Agency and ex-director general of immigration enforcement at the Home Office, yesterday warned that leaving the EU would make Sajid Javid’s insistence that asylum seekers are sent back to other European countries unlikely.

“Brexit may affect all of this,” he told the BBC Today programme. “Currently if people come here and claim asylum and it is found they claimed asylum in another EU country they can be returned to that EU country. If we are out of the Dublin Agreement we would be out of that.”

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/brexit-will-stop-uk-returning-asylum-seekers-to-europe/03/01/

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Now I know it's not what you want, but I'm sure you agree now that, whatever the legal/parliamentary hoops, we are not going to get a 'no deal' Brexit on 29th March ?

You keep claiming a 'no deal' isn't possible yet never provide any evidence or logic to back up your claim.

So clearly there's no majority for May's deal. Dead in the water. Labour policy - as stated by Corbyn - is that they won't reverse the result of the referendum or hold a second referendum. So what happens ? As a country we're no further forward on what will happen than a month ago. I pointed out then that there was no time left for a second referendum and now we're a month further down the line with no progress to an outcome and even more so there's no time left for a seond referendum. It will be tight to pass any legislation after May's deal is rejected. Unless something is actively done and AGREED by majority in parliament then we leave on the 29th March.

So come on then, time for your Mystic Meg to actually make a proper prediction of what will happpen, and just saying 'no deal' isn't possible isn't a prediction.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
What in the actual **** is going on here?

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-firm-appears-all-geared-up-to-deliver-pizzas

First, it emerged that the “startup” company hired to operate extra ferries as part of no-deal Brexit planning had no ships.

Now, new questions are being asked about the readiness of Seaborne Freight to handle the £13.8m contract after it turned out that terms and conditions on its website appeared to be intended for a food delivery firm.

“It is the responsibility of the customer to thoroughly check the supplied goods before agreeing to pay for any meal/order,” read part of the text on the company’s website.

Questions were also being raised about other parts of the terms and conditions, including a passage which stated: “Delivery charges are calculated per order and based on [delivery details here].”

Another section, which appeared to be constructed with a view more to mitigating against the impact of prank pizza orders than transporting goods across some of the world’s busiest shipping lanes, warned: “Users are prohibited from making false orders through our website.”

“Seaborne Freight (UK) Limited reserves the right to seek compensation through legal action for any losses incurred as the result of hoax delivery requests and will prosecute to the full extent of the law,” it added.

Ridicule was also heaped on Seaborne’s “privacy terms”, which stated: “Members hold freedom to express themselves in their feedback. Although your intellectual freedom is respected, [Business name] reserves the right to remove from our website any material deemed threatening, immoral, racist, inaccurate, malicious, defamatory, in bad taste or illegal.”

Among those criticising the company after the curious language on the terms and conditions was first pointed out by Twitter users was Labour’s deputy leader, Tom Watson, who said: “Seaborne Freight. No ships, no trading history and website T&Cs copied and pasted from a takeaway delivery site.”

Other signs that the website may have been cobbled together included a “portal login” section which was an image of username and password boxes rather than an actual means of logging in.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
What in the actual **** is going on here?

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...-firm-appears-all-geared-up-to-deliver-pizzas

First, it emerged that the “startup” company hired to operate extra ferries as part of no-deal Brexit planning had no ships.

Now, new questions are being asked about the readiness of Seaborne Freight to handle the £13.8m contract after it turned out that terms and conditions on its website appeared to be intended for a food delivery firm.

“It is the responsibility of the customer to thoroughly check the supplied goods before agreeing to pay for any meal/order,” read part of the text on the company’s website.

Questions were also being raised about other parts of the terms and conditions, including a passage which stated: “Delivery charges are calculated per order and based on [delivery details here].”

Another section, which appeared to be constructed with a view more to mitigating against the impact of prank pizza orders than transporting goods across some of the world’s busiest shipping lanes, warned: “Users are prohibited from making false orders through our website.”

“Seaborne Freight (UK) Limited reserves the right to seek compensation through legal action for any losses incurred as the result of hoax delivery requests and will prosecute to the full extent of the law,” it added.

Ridicule was also heaped on Seaborne’s “privacy terms”, which stated: “Members hold freedom to express themselves in their feedback. Although your intellectual freedom is respected, [Business name] reserves the right to remove from our website any material deemed threatening, immoral, racist, inaccurate, malicious, defamatory, in bad taste or illegal.”

Among those criticising the company after the curious language on the terms and conditions was first pointed out by Twitter users was Labour’s deputy leader, Tom Watson, who said: “Seaborne Freight. No ships, no trading history and website T&Cs copied and pasted from a takeaway delivery site.”

Other signs that the website may have been cobbled together included a “portal login” section which was an image of username and password boxes rather than an actual means of logging in.

Nearly identical to the following which also doesn't seem to deal in food delivery despite mentioning the very same:

https://wyeagricolaclub.org.uk/legal/terms

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You keep claiming a 'no deal' isn't possible yet never provide any evidence or logic to back up your claim. .

I appreciate this was not aimed at me. But I also believe no-deal isn’t possible. My reason is I do not believe the British Parliament will allow it, with all the associated business and human collateral damage it will bring, to happen. Business and people will suffer, at a level we have not witnessed in a generation, there’s no doubt about this and even Brexiteers admit it...although they dress it up as short term pain long term gain. The ridiculous governmental bodies set up to fascilatate basic things like food supplies (the U.K. is a first world country and it’s 2019!) back this up. The government have a duty of care to everyone. If they are so ****ing useless they can’t negotiate any deal at all I hope parliament sees fit and postpones a50 so someone can sort the mess out. The government want a deal, if they can’t get one they have clearly failed. Period. Someone else’s turn. My logic is based on the idea/blind faith there are still enough sane people in Parliament who care enough about people and business to prevent no-deal.....because it seems it’s only a handful of ERG headbangers who want to jump off the cliff-edge.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s a new year. I’m done with this thread. I’m going to concentrate my energies on music, food and beer.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
That would still also require agreement from The EU27 and European Parliament though surely? It goes back to Notification of Withdrawal Act in 2017 prior to invoking A50, which via another act of on parliament we can unilaterally revoke ourselves without asking for an extension. It's got to be the way forward to buy time. #takebackcontrol

Yes and no, we do that and then the options to extend by agreement or revoke unilaterally are open to prevent an ill prepared No deal. Not repealing the whole act should give leavers some comfort whilst we sort the ****ing mess out a bit.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Just reading about the Dublin Agreement this morning. Apparently if we do end up going the no deal route we'd be out of the Dublin Agreement which would mean we're then unable boot out some asylum seekers:

David Wood, former deputy chief executive of the Border Agency and ex-director general of immigration enforcement at the Home Office, yesterday warned that leaving the EU would make Sajid Javid’s insistence that asylum seekers are sent back to other European countries unlikely.

“Brexit may affect all of this,” he told the BBC Today programme. “Currently if people come here and claim asylum and it is found they claimed asylum in another EU country they can be returned to that EU country. If we are out of the Dublin Agreement we would be out of that.”

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/brexit-will-stop-uk-returning-asylum-seekers-to-europe/03/01/

Wouldn't that be ironic, if all EU failed asylum seekers took a shot at the UK asylum system.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
Seabourne Freight have confirmed the location of their new ferry terminal. Shoreham Harbour.

49614704_10157014164622417_8314556450215034880_n.jpg

Pretty Plnk Fairy

NSC Patreon
Jan 30, 2008
stop whining you rodneys we are on are way and if the pound then falls in value so what as it will make everything cheaper so winner winner all round

Regards

DR

fanseagull

Dec 18, 2018
stop whining you rodneys we are on are way and if the pound then falls in value so what as it will make everything cheaper so winner winner all round

Regards

DR

......except that it has been acknowledged several times (including by your brexit-loving peers) that NO ONE KNOWS what will happen.... and has no one told you that Brexit is not an event but a process that will drag on, whether you like it or not, for years. Or do you simply not understand it......

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
It’s a new year. I’m done with this thread. I’m going to concentrate my energies on music, food and beer.

At last,I concur with something you say!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
......except that it has been acknowledged several times (including by your brexit-loving peers) that NO ONE KNOWS what will happen.... and has no one told you that Brexit is not an event but a process that will drag on, whether you like it or not, for years. Or do you simply not understand it......

Such as all the stuff we import?

Whoosh..........You're both replying to the parody account. The clue is the the name - 'Pretty Plnk Fairy' for the parody v 'Pretty pink fairy' for the original, plus the fact it's postings are grammatically better and it generally makes far more sense in what it says.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here