Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
I think Barnier's comments about the Irish border made earlier today sound more conciliatory than of late.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I heard a rumour that Leo the Gnome was being sectioned.Apparently he said British planes couldn't fly over Ireland after a no-deal Brexit.The only British flights he would be banning are the RAF fast jets tasked with protecting Ireland.And like most of his exports,most Irish flights wouldn't be going anywhere as they cross Great Britain.What a clod.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Hopefully you leavers have taken advice from Mogg and co. and have your assets already well divested overseas

The hard nationalist right leaders have made sure they are ok, even if their followers aren’t. Rees Mogg, the Eaton educated nanny raised man of the people, has >£100m wealth and as a partner of Somerset Wealth is enjoying the benefits of a company based in the EU in Dublin (with subsidiaries in a few tax havens). Boris also went to Eaton and a member of the infamous upper class elite Bullingdon Club, often associated with members and acts with pigs. Farage went to Dulwich college, another private school, and then went into the city. And the anti immigrant leader was married to EU “foreigners” from both Ireland and Germany. The latter whom he employed to ride what nationalist right wingers would call the “EU gravy train”. His kids have German passports.

They will be fine and they know it. You won’t be.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Holiday makers hit hard as GBP plummets. Another example of the ordinary man on the street suffering a loss of quality of life due to the lack of foresight of Leave voters and selfish politicians. Hey ho. #sunnyuplands #regainingsovereignty #atanycost

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44900164

Ok for those with money coming out of every orifice #boris #rees-mogg #farage but for normal working people it means we have to make even more sacrifices just to enjoy new experiences, meet new people #shameontheelitists

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
im sure they will inform you that "we have always controlled our borders" is porkies " we have always had controls over all our laws" is porkies and " the ECJ is nothing to do with the EU" is laughable rubbish. My point stands.

If you say so. But you will know what my point was. Do you also stand by your implication that you have personally spoken to 50-odd American citizens on the subject of Brexit and all but one think it's a great idea?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
“Today's aggressive comments by Messrs Varadkar and Barnier show why we are right to be leaving the mafia-like European Union”

JRM today, playing the blame game.

Throughly predictable.

larus

Reading an on-line news article, and I read this comment. So much for Leavers changing their minds.

Charlie Mortimer 20 Jul 2018 10:49PM
Despite being a staunch remainer the EU's intransigence now makes me think " well if that's the contempt you hold us in then frankly fxck you"

In truth it seems there was nothing to actually negotiate so let's just leave ASAP without a deal and one way or another I am sure we will win through

I can't believe I'm writing this but entirely thanks to the EU's bloody mindedness I am!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I'll be honest, I haven't read all 5,380 pages of this, in fact I probably haven't read even one whole one. But a genuine question for those that voted Leave.

If it was proved beyond reasonable doubt - and I think we're getting there on a few of these - that a) you were lied to across the board on the NHS and immigration, b) the Leave campaign broke the law and c) you were mugged off by Russia who were orchestrating a campaign to destabilise the UK/NATO/EU...

...would you have voted differently? And the obvious follow-up, if not, why not?
I'll paraphrase: So, a genuine question for those that voted Remain.

If it was proved beyond reasonable doubt - and I think we're getting there on a few of these - that a) you were lied to across the board by Project Fear, that the economy would collapse overnight, that we would no longer be able to travel to Europe, that flights would cease to happen and all that guff, b). that Remain also had the odd problem with its campaign finances and c). that all the talk about staying in and reforming the EU from within (as if they were ever going to change their obsession with closer integration, free movement of refugees from anywhere to anywhere, the European army and the Euro - with ultimately no opt-outs!) was what it was - hot air.....

...would you have voted differently? And the obvious follow-up, if not, why not?

I (as we all have) have been on the wrong end of General Election results, but I can never remember in my lifetime a vote that has left so many people furious that their future.
I have. Frequently. That Thatcher woman got in often enough to wreck many lives, didn't she.

D

Deleted member 22389

Holiday makers hit hard as GBP plummets. Another example of the ordinary man on the street suffering a loss of quality of life due to the lack of foresight of Leave voters and selfish politicians. Hey ho. #sunnyuplands #regainingsovereignty #atanycost

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44900164

It's common knowledge that you always get a worse deal at Airports. It's the same as buying food and drink at amusement parks, festivals and so on, they deliberately ramp up the prices up because they know people are desperate. You know this.

The fluctuation in the exchange rate is nothing compared to how parents gets ripped off for holidays / flights when the kids are off school.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It's common knowledge that you always get a worse deal at Airports. It's the same as buying food and drink at amusement parks, festivals and so on, they deliberately ramp up the prices up because they know people are desperate. You know this.

The fluctuation in the exchange rate is nothing compared to how parents gets ripped off for holidays / flights when the kids are off school.

This is due to the falling value of the pound against the Euro. The other things you mention happen every year. You know this.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

If it was proved beyond reasonable doubt - and I think we're getting there on a few of these - that a) you were lied to across the board by Project Fear, that the economy would collapse overnight, that we would no longer be able to travel to Europe, that flights would cease to happen and all that guff, b). that Remain also had the odd problem with its campaign finances and c). that all the talk about staying in and reforming the EU from within (as if they were ever going to change their obsession with closer integration, free movement of refugees from anywhere to anywhere, the European army and the Euro - with ultimately no opt-outs!) was what it was - hot air.....

I have. Frequently. That Thatcher woman got in often enough to wreck many lives, didn't she.

No, even accepting your assertions (which I don't): not when compared to the alternative, especially knowing what we know now. But thanks for asking; it's a reasonable question.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

The problem with the remain campaign was to say would happen immediately. It was never going to unless we left with no deal immediately. If we leave with no deal then we will be screwed. This will be project reality. Our economy has already stagnated compared to the rest of Europe and the latest data shows massive declines in investment. Companies are now actively preparing for no deal so this will accelerate.

I agree with the leader Of the leave campaign that triggering article 50 before we had a plan was the massive error.

I will admit I was wrong to vote remain when our GDP growth outstrips the rest of Europe and we have as many trade deals in place as they do.

So a question back to you. Leave has been shown to have lied about the Brexit dividend (we are losing lots of money), give has said he was wrong to lie about turkey and the electoral commission has idenfied electoral fraud. All to get a 52/48 win. When will you admit the result was based on lies and cheating? Do people have to go to prison?

How bad does the economy have to get before you admit "this was a mistake"?

P.s. We had opt outs.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

This is the most ridiculous post so far.
Why don't you grow up and either post nothing or answer the question yes or no rather than the pointless tit for tat.
Point is that we are leaving not remaining and so far it's a monumental balls up and looking like a no deal and the leave campaign was bullshit.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The problem with the remain campaign was to say would happen immediately. It was never going to unless we left with no deal immediately. If we leave with no deal then we will be screwed. This will be project reality. Our economy has already stagnated compared to the rest of Europe and the latest data shows massive declines in investment. Companies are now actively preparing for no deal so this will accelerate.

I agree with the leader Of the leave campaign that triggering article 50 before we had a plan was the massive error.

I will admit I was wrong to vote remain when our GDP growth outstrips the rest of Europe and we have as many trade deals in place as they do.

So a question back to you. Leave has been shown to have lied about the Brexit dividend (we are losing lots of money), give has said he was wrong to lie about turkey and the electoral commission has idenfied electoral fraud. All to get a 52/48 win. When will you admit the result was based on lies and cheating? Do people have to go to prison?

How bad does the economy have to get before you admit "this was a mistake"?

P.s. We had opt outs.

I think this last one is the key point. It is not a personal attack on anyone to question how much the lies/cheating/interference might have affected the result, it is a general point.

And what it boils down to is this. Did all the sensational and untrue claims and posters make 650,000 of the 17million plus leave voters vote the way they did. If it did, it changed the result.

When I think of all the coverage that the posters of queues of supposed immigrants trying to get into Britain (they werent) and the NHS claims, you have to think it was comfortably more than 650,000.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Holiday makers hit hard as GBP plummets. Another example of the ordinary man on the street suffering a loss of quality of life due to the lack of foresight of Leave voters and selfish politicians. Hey ho
Don't you get bored of posting crap? Rates have been lower than they are now a few times over the last 10 years. Rates were lower a year ago.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This is the most ridiculous post so far.
Why don't you grow up and either post nothing or answer the question yes or no rather than the pointless tit for tat.
Point is that we are leaving not remaining and so far it's a monumental balls up and looking like a no deal and the leave campaign was bullshit.
Ridiculous to you - and probably to many of your fellow remainers. You don't like being asked the same questions that you think you have the God-given right to ask others, eh? Probably too stuck in your opinions to understand that though.

And you're not very good at answering questions either. But just carry being a bit naff and aggressive, posting insults; it suits the more aggressive remainers' style, as evidenced clearly on this thread. 'Grow up' ffs - geez, how pathetic.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here