Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What was interesting is the Dimble said 75% of the audience didn't want to discuss Brexit last night which I found bizarre, just avoiding the big issue that pretty much will effect everything else. Their denial mirrors that of the ruling Tory party right now

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
What was interesting is the Dimble said 75% of the audience didn't want to discuss Brexit last night which I found bizarre, just avoiding the big issue that pretty much will effect everything else. Their denial mirrors that of the ruling Tory party right now
What is the point of discussing Brexit now ?

We will get what we are given and we will be told to like it.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
In that case depending what you personal view might be then vote them in or out, if you disagree on a major funding issue with the UK's democratically elected government it isnt for you to look around the world and demand we must somehow adopt and deploy the EU's, Japan's or the USA's model, its for the UK to decide what is appropriate, that's what Brexit means.

If you are currently anti Tory you cannot just foist upon us a political version from another global region just so it mirrors your own.

A few observations on the points you have made. We do get to vote on UK members of the European Parliament and also the UK has played an integral role in the development of EU institutions and policies and so these are hardly imposed on us externally. Also, our current UK parliamentary system has a tendency to distort the distribution of funding as it can be in the interests of politicians to allocate funding in areas which will have the most impact on their electoral prospects (an argument for PR? maybe a different debate).

However the main point that I was trying to make was a practical one and that is that we seem to have no plan for replacing sources of funding on which many regions rely and the record of our governments in the past doesn't inspire any confidence that they will do this effectively. I admit that I am a totally committed Remainer but I take absolutely no satisfaction in the prospect that this could hit areas that voted Leave particularly badly.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

That's a curious thing to say: the Tories talk of little else but Brexit. Indeed, several commentators have remarked that the lack of focus on issues such as the NHS is harming the government.

For Labour, on the other hand, Brexit has the become the madwoman in the attic, the uncle with the drink problem, something in the background but never spoken about. There have been several PMQs in this parliament and I don't think Corbyn has raised Brexit once as a topic. If there's party that's in denial about Brexit, it's Labour.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

or just tired of it dominating everything? cant expect politicians to move on to other subjects if we dont.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
However the main point that I was trying to make was a practical one and that is that we seem to have no plan for replacing sources of funding on which many regions rely and the record of our governments in the past doesn't inspire any confidence that they will do this effectively. I admit that I am a totally committed Remainer but I take absolutely no satisfaction in the prospect that this could hit areas that voted Leave particularly badly.

good point, the funding would be available (in the saving from the EU payment) but thats been semi-promised elsewhere and theres a complete lack of planning from the Brexit camp or anyone else. i was under the impression they'd thought through some consequences and policies, turns out me and mates down the pub have more coherent strategy about what to do. the reason is probably they didnt expect to win, no excuse though to have not theorise beyond having new trade deals.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Brexshiteers is a great word. Thanks [MENTION=12935]GT49er[/MENTION] for the heads up

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
good point, the funding would be available (in the saving from the EU payment) but thats been semi-promised elsewhere and theres a complete lack of planning from the Brexit camp or anyone else.

Not quite true. Gove has already said that farming subsidies would continue, as before, at least up till the next election. However, I can't see a Tory government meeting EU commitments to spend in Labour-voting areas like the north or Wales but I imagine Cornwall may see a few bribes, er I mean, financial commitments for infrastructure projects.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I felt a little sorry for her yes, clearly not comfortable with speaking in front of a crowd and struggled somewhat to get her point across, but she felt it important enough to engage in the debate and try in a polite collected way. I wouldn’t laugh at her though or anyone from an opposing side either speaking in public if they were doing it in a reasoned manner.
Beats the hell out of twits whose idea of getting involved is to don a balaclava and to interrupt, disrupt, scream and shout so debate is stifled like Corbyns rent a mob goons.
Wouldn’t you agree?

I support what you say. The politeness you mention is something worth preserving. Wouldn't you agree?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
[MENTION=59]Mental Lental[/MENTION] called them 'spacktards' a while back too - They seemed to like that one.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
[MENTION=59]Mental Lental[/MENTION] called them 'spacktards' a while back too - They seemed to like that one.

But Spacktard like **** and ****, thundercunt, shitpuffin and racist ****ers are all generic insults... we need something catchy and relevant.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Yet people like you keep moaning that the government is so focused on Brexit they are doing little else ! Make up your mind.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I've not really followed this thread if truth be told.

But anyone think we should have just said we don't want a deal EU and left it for a year or so to see how hard they begged?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I see the remainers have finally admitted defeat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here