Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I think every grown up, of any political persuasion knows where this is heading, but some idiot will want to make a political point to so............

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Ah the typical 'never answer a question' remainer has surfaced.Are you still counting all those EU officials you know?As regards banking and finance,I am one of the many people who lost money,jobs,property etc. from the actions of HBOS,and in particular the bloke who was scape-goated by them ,Lynden Scourfield.They all knew what he was up to and chose to do nothing in case it brought down their cronies.I think Great Britain would be poorer without them,but would smell a lot better.As for your 'honest position',that is surely an oxymoron when mentioned alongside banking and finance!

Do you think it is an industry that needs regulating? Do you think that Brexit Britain might be tempted to have less regulation than the EU if possible, so as to be more competitive?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There's a cynical part of me that actually thinks he'd love Brexit overturned, one-way-or-another, so he can come back and carry on as before rather than get blamed for it.

I think it is just a Beckham-esque " look at me ! " ... things have gone a bit quiet for Nige recently, this puts him back on the agenda for a while.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No evidence of a Brexit exodus from City, says recruiter Pagegroup

Paris and Frankfurt are showing no signs of attracting jobs from London, according to the boss of one of the world’s largest recruitment companies.

Steve Ingham, chief executive of Page Group, said that the recruiter had seen “no evidence” of City workers relocating to the continent as a result of Brexit.

Page is one of the biggest recruiters in the professional services market and is one of Europe’s largest recruitment businesses, putting it an ideal position to monitor cross-border moves of workers.

“We’ve not seen any evidence lately of that happening [UK financial services jobs moving] in Paris and it’s the same in Frankfurt . . . if it happens at all,” Mr Ingham said.

“In Paris, we are by far and away the market leader and have about 500 recruiters there. I don’t think a bank could move thousands of staff without us hearing about it. Even if they didn’t announce it, we speak to so many candidates we would be sure to hear if it was happening,” he said.

The recruitment chief also said he was uncertain that, even if a bank wanted to set up a big operation in a City such as Frankfurt, it would be able to do so. “The biggest issue is the supply and demand of the staff you need. I don’t think there’d be enough candidates to do it . . . It’s not the easiest place to import skills given the need for German speakers,” Mr Ingham said.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/no-evidence-of-a-brexit-exodus-from-city-says-recruiter-rb65l0xj8

Relying on a recruitment agent for your argument, oh dear :lolol:
Do you have any estate agents with anecdotes?

PS a lot big international economic sectors in Germany are generally very heavy with English speakers; it’s the nature of global business. Engineering and pharma certainly are. I imagine banking is as well. Besides, why would a bank moving a department of English speakers suddenly need German speakers?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
I think it is just a Beckham-esque " look at me ! " ... things have gone a bit quiet for Nige recently, this puts him back on the agenda for a while.

Probably. His meeting with Barnier earlier in the week seems to have tipped him into paranoia though. 23:30 in.........

[tweet]951531709689946113[/tweet]

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
When was it announced we're staying in The EEA and therefore remaining under the jurisdiction of The ECJ?

the important point you missed is that we haven't announced we are leaving the EEA. its something commonly assumed, though the notion has been around a while that we havent invoked the EEA equivilent of article 50, so remain in it. you should rejoice because it means bascially we're staying in Europe, maybe this is even the EU strategy, theres no way to leave.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
the important point you missed is that we haven't announced we are leaving the EEA. its something commonly assumed, though the notion has been around a while that we havent invoked the EEA equivilent of article 50, so remain in it. you should rejoice because it means bascially we're staying in Europe, maybe this is even the EU strategy, theres no way to leave.

Article 127 and all that, I know.

I'm won't be rejoicing as it will be part of The EU (Withdrawal) Bill 2017-19, EEA membership is under the jurisdiction of The ECJ and relies on the 4 freedoms including FOM and you're the only one saying we're staying in The EEA.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Mrs May (along with most of the cabinet) is about to have to divert her attention to the collapse of Carillion. Not great timing with some pretty important Brexit decisions to be made.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Article 127 and all that, I know.

I'm won't be rejoicing as it will be part of The EU (Withdrawal) Bill 2017-19, EEA membership is under the jurisdiction of The ECJ and relies on the 4 freedoms including FOM and you're the only one saying we're staying in The EEA.

not me saying it, corporate lawyers for multinational company saying it :shrug:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Mrs May (along with most of the cabinet) is about to have to divert her attention to the collapse of Carillion. Not great timing with some pretty important Brexit decisions to be made.

At what point are people going to wake up and smell the coffee?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
not me saying it, corporate lawyers for multinational company saying it :shrug:

Strange how nobody else is saying we're staying in The EEA and everything that entails though, particularly the press.

The Government stated last year that we leave The EEA when we leave The EU by default. A legal challenge was launched on Article 127, but thrown out due to being premature on the whole process. It will be covered, and voted on if needed, in The Withdrawal Bill.

If you think, in the event of Article 127 of The EEA Agreement having to be invoked that it wont and we'll stay within the parameters of the single market to whatever extent, make budgetary contributions, and accept freedom of movement etc, etc - fine. It wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but we've been told repeatedly on this thread that the Norway option is not a proper Brexit and therefore can't happen.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
His deal was we would not be forced in to closer Union, we would be free to choose to do so though. We would not get closer without a referendum on whether we wanted to or not, I know how much you respect the will of the people, so I would have thought that would be good for you too.

Cameron secured an exemption to ever closer union which would be confirmed in treaty changes later on at the time of their revision. “Ever closer union” though isn’t a legal basis for increased EU power, Camerons deal on this was simply a symbolic political statement rather than a legal one as its inclusion wouldn’t change the UK`s relationship with the EU.
As with the rest of his supposed brilliant package it was laughable, the only people who thought he had got a good deal were remainers (surprise surprise), everyone else saw the package as the hot air it was.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Bit desperate tonight arnt you.
Stringfellow had already come out as a Tory remainer before the referendum, hardly news he is still miffed.
He is also the same political wizard that thought Hugh Hefner should have run for president.

Who are you going to raise onto your remain pedestal tomorrow?..The Chuckle Brothers?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You must have been saying that your whole life, it frustrates you doesnt it ?

This is third time you’ve tried this new psychological angle with me. I concede it’s a step up from a gruff talking shit or a bollocks but it’s equally ineffective. Just to confirm..... no, you have not got under my skin, no I’m not disappointed and no I’m not frustrated.

As for smelling coffee, my morning third wave locally “dark” roasted smells just fine.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here