View Poll Results: Is Theresa May is out of her depth?

Voters
543. You may not vote on this poll
  • She doesn't know what she is doing

378 69.61%
  • She knows exactly what she is doing

165 30.39%
Page 4997 of 5082 FirstFirst ... 39974497489749474987499449954996499749984999500050075047 ... LastLast
Results 49,961 to 49,970 of 50811
    Not seen such Bravery! Blue Valkyrie's Avatar

4 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Berty23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The reality of leaving looks like it might be about to start biting. Hold tight. I assume those who work in car manufacturing read about the country of origin laws before voting leave so knew what they were voting for?

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/europ...mpression=true
    Unfortunately those rules weren't written on the side of a bus
    Out of contract June 2018 : Maenpaa, Krul, Rosenior , Hunemeier , Sidwell , Ince

• North Stand Chat

advertising

Members

3 Not allowed!
      Here's a very simple observation.

1. The hard Brexiteers are getting het up about any soft Brexit that ends up with us being a 'rule-taker'. Fair enough.

2. A hard Brexit would involve us defaulting to 'WTO rules'. Has none of them, er, noticed i.e. that word 'rules' features rather prominently in this arrangement?

3, The hard Brexiteers have spent the last 50 years moaning (and these are world class moaners, not like some of us on this thread who are mere amateurs) about how undemocratic the are 'rule-making' processes of the EU - with its QMV, direct elections to the Parliament and other such nasty little European tricks designed solely to deprive the mighty UK of its sovereign status and design a Brussel's gravy train of immense size and global pretensions

4. How do they think the WTO works? Can you just pick the rules you want? Can we - the great British public - vote them out? Will we like all the rules?

There is in the Hard Brexit view of the world just a touch of arrogance (which is kind of quaint) that 'we' can bestride the trade world like a Colossus, picking and choosing deals and partners. If they don't play ball I guess we could always send a gun-boat.
      Last edited by Garry Nelson's teacher; 06-06-2018 at 06:20.
      aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch Westdene Seagull's Avatar

7 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Garry Nelson's teacher View Post
      Here's a very simple observation.

1. The hard Brexiteers are getting het up about any soft Brexit that ends up with us being a 'rule-taker'. Fair enough.

2. A hard Brexit would involve us defaulting to 'WTO rules'. Has none of them, er, noticed i.e. that word 'rules' features rather prominently in this arrangement?

3, The hard Brexiteers have spent the last 50 years moaning about how undemocratic the are 'rule-making' processes of the EU - with it's QMV, direct elections to the Parliament and other such nasty little European tricks designed solely to deprive the mighty UK of its sovereign status.

4. How do they think the WTO works? Can you just pick the rules you want? Can we - the great British public - vote them out? Will we like all the rules?

There is in the Hard Brexit view of the world just a touch of arrogance (which is kind of quaint) that 'we' can bestride the trade world like a Colossus, picking and choosing deals and partners. If they don't play ball I guess we could always send a gun-boat.
      You've missed a significant point. Many Brexiteers, myself included, were very happy with the principle of the 'Common Market' - a trading block. Yes there had to be a few rules on standards but other than that it was just that - a trading block without many barriers. Then comes along CAP, the Euro, harmonised VAT, freedom of movement and the Lisbon Treaty. All pulling towards what Ted Heath only admitted to after the 1975 referendum was run, the aim was always for complete political and economic union. It is that I object to. There has already been talk of an EU foreign minister and heavy hints of an EU army. Heath's claim certainly hds some water and if true is not something I wish the UK to be part of. Scrap the EU parliament - there's no need for a parliament in a trading block - and return to being a 'Common Market' and I'd be very happy for us to stay.
      The devil whispered in my ear : "You're not strong enough to withstand the storm."
      I whispered in the devils ear : " I am the storm."
      Members

1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Berty23 View Post
      The reality of leaving looks like it might be about to start biting. Hold tight. I assume those who work in car manufacturing read about the country of origin laws before voting leave so knew what they were voting for?

https://news.sky.com/story/amp/europ...mpression=true
      I lost my job twice in manufacturing due to components being manufactured cheaper outside the EU, long before anyone had even heard of Brexit. I also know lots of companies that went to the wall over the years, where the hell was the concern for manufacturing then. These threats are nothing and I mean nothing compared to the millions of jobs we have lost over the years.
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by bashlsdir View Post
      I lost my job twice in manufacturing due to components being manufactured cheaper outside the EU, long before anyone had even heard of Brexit. I also know lots of companies that went to the wall over the years, where the hell was the concern for manufacturing then. These threats are nothing and I mean nothing compared to the millions of jobs we have lost over the years.
      Still plenty of manufacturing going on in the UK, but tends to be high end stuff.

There are 900k jobs and automotive and their supply chain, mostly be Brexit areas. The governments approach to the SM & CU is nothing short of restless...
      Brexit is like trying to remove the egg from an omelette. Updated 2018

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by pastafarian View Post
      No doubt when the government decides to revoke Article 50 you will all, along with Gina cry foul and demand, via another court case, that the government cant revoke Article 50 at all and that Parliament must do it.

I wonder if the judge will point out that in a previous court case that Gina had in the Supreme Court, Gina had agreed (which no doubt you remainers agreed with as well) with the premise contained in the ruling judgement that said

“notice under article 50(2) (which we shall call 'Notice') cannot be given in qualified or conditional terms and that, once given, it cannot be withdrawn”

“It follows from this that once the United Kingdom gives Notice, it will inevitably cease at a later date to be a member of the European Union and a party to the EU Treaties.”
      All that means is it would just require another act of parliament to revoke it and is no different to repealing any other law in that regard.
      Each to his choice, and I rejoice the lot has fallen to me
      In a fair ground-in a fair ground -
      Yea, Sussex by the sea!

2 Not allowed!
      The Freight Transport Association didn't hold back in it's criticism of this oncoming car crash yesterday in a release.

Each to his choice, and I rejoice the lot has fallen to me
      In a fair ground-in a fair ground -
      Yea, Sussex by the sea!

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by beorhthelm View Post
      i naively expected those selling it had a plan, a strategy to take to negotiation, knowing the EU would play hard. shirely thats not unreasonable, they've been wanting this for at least 25 years since Maastricht, right? turns out even the threat of leaving without an agreement wasnt credible as they dont know how to deliver on that.
      Unfortunately, all of this was pointed out to you throughout this thread by myself and others. And although you admitted that you didn't understand some aspects of it, you chose to put your fingers in your ears and shout 'project fear' together with a few others on here.

Anyway, better late than never and although this complete clusterf*** has already and will continue to cost us dearly, at least the lunatics haven't taken over the asylum yet. Despite what has happened, if we do leave, (which even I'm now doubting) it will be the softest of Brexits

Awaits @Pretty pink fairy garbled rubbish to confirm he's still in his straitjacket
      Members

0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by WATFORD zero View Post
      Unfortunately, all of this was pointed out to you throughout this thread by myself and others. And although you admitted that you didn't understand some aspects of it, you chose to put your fingers in your ears and shout 'project fear' together with a few others on here.

Anyway, better late than never and although this complete clusterf*** has already and will continue to cost us dearly, at least the lunatics haven't taken over the asylum yet. Despite what has happened, if we do leave, (which even I'm now doubting) it will be the softest of Brexits

Awaits @Pretty pink fairy garbled rubbish to confirm he's still in his straitjacket
      HMRC standing by its £20B for the Brexiteers proposed post Brexit customs system

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44372011

Add on the 1% p.a loss in GDP growth since we voted out and his is all looking very expensive. I'm sure the Tories will find of way of fleecing the poor to pay for all this
      Brexit is like trying to remove the egg from an omelette. Updated 2018