Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 22389

How do you know what the consequences will be?
Maybe when we leave we can really start to spread our wings and be in control of our own destiny just like all the other big guns outside Europe but the problem is the weak liberals and remainers don't have the ambition or desire to progress and they're followers not leaders !!

Pathetic isn't it. For the last 2 years remainers have thrown a massive spanner in the works, yet they blame the leavers for the confusion. I know what I voted for that was too leave, how hard can it be.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
why is leaving so complicated then?

Just because most people voted to leave, and some of those want a complete/hard brexit doesn't mean it's easy, or even possible.

IMO the hard brexiters are hoping for some kind of utopian outcome, and are living in a fantasy land. Gove may just be coming round to the realisation that you can't always get what you want.

D

Deleted member 22389

Just because most people voted to leave, and some of those want a complete/hard brexit doesn't mean it's easy, or even possible.

IMO the hard brexiters are hoping for some kind of utopian outcome, and are living in a fantasy land. Gove may just be coming round to the realisation that you can't always get what you want.

We can send people and cargo up to the ISS, but we can't leave the EU. It does sound ridicolous. The EU doesn't own us. Nothing is impossible.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
This was how it was always going to pan out.

People vote to leave, we as a nation can't afford to go it alone, so the government fudge it so it looks like we are leaving but actually we are leaving, but to trade with the eu, we have to keep all their laws, their standards, their borders, their rules basically, and now we have NO say in any of them.

So let's say tomorrow, the eu say, because of sustainability, the only people allowed to fish in UK waters are the French and Spanish boats....and we will have no say in April next year to block this ..as our veto has gone.

So well done mrs may and the conservatives...tremendous scenes.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

you're not adressing the question. we may have had more control over some areas than acknowledged by politicans, but to go as far as to say we could refuse EU law is to pretend the EU doesnt have any precedence or authority. can we enter into free trade? no, because we devolved all customs and trade law to EU, we cant refuse that law.

i'm over it now, but lets not lie about it, EU controls us and will continue to.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i'm over it now, but lets not lie about it, EU controls us and will continue to.

I would far prefer this than Boris, Mogg and Gove.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
While this is all somewhat true, the negotiations taking place by this shambolic government aren't forever. The conditions will be able to be renegotiated by more competant governments in the future.

2 years is simply not enough time to carry out such complex negotations, with so much at stake, with European politics making it all the more difficult.

It was always going to be a de facto "keep it as it is" to begin with. The key thing is that we will be out of the EU, and future governments will be able to pull out of, or renegotiate conditions. Self-determination will surely prove to be a good thing over time... we may not be out of the EU shackles today, but at least now we have the key.

Out of interest, who do you think should have led the negotiations and would have got the 'good deal' you were hoping for?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
If we want to nationalise rail and introduce a state railway monopoly again, that would be against EU competition rules

Not an area I know well but I thought the majority of countries in the EU ran state operated railways?

Isn't Britain of the most privatised models?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
I don't think it is possible to get a "good deal" after just 2 years of negotiating. It's one nation versus 27 with so much at stake for them.

I would have preferred a Corbyn led Labour government to carry out the negotiations for numerous reasons.

Fair enough. I think we will have to agree to disagree as I thought we were on a one track road to our current clusterf*** from the day after the referendum, regardless of who was in power.

The other thing people seem to forget is that we were one of the most powerful forces in shaping them (the EU) until Nige and his swivel eyed loons somehow persuaded the naive and gullible that he was the 'man of the people'.

I'm not a great fan of the EU but we were in a position to change what wasn't good for the UK.

Nige, Boris and Co have done OK out of this, but it's totally f***ed the rest of us :shrug:

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
We were always able to.

Parliament has always had the ultimate say.

Not an area I know well but I thought the majority of countries in the EU ran state operated railways?

Isn't Britain of the most privatised models?

Yes, but new competition rules introduced in 2016 aim to copy the UK (passengers using SASTA may have to stifle a laugh at this point, but the British model is seen as way that railways should be run). Most European railways will continue to be state run but a single 100% state-owned company operating trains, running stations and controlling the track will not be allowed.

I know that's not what was in the Labour manifesto, but if it was, it wouldn't be allowed while the UK remained a member of the EU.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
It's going to be a tough few years, but we knew that when we voted didn't we?

It's a shame that we have pro-EU Tories carrying out the negotiations, but in the long term independance from the United States of Europe will be a good thing for the country.

It's the second part of the last line we disagree on :wink:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here