Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
This is genuinely one of thickest comments I've seen on here, and I'm including all of The Clamp's hypocrisy, bashidir's entire back catalogue and the really dumb ones where Two Professors laughs at his own really unfunny jokes.

Quite some doing I think you'll agree.

You forgot Giraffe’s fridge.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
This is genuinely one of thickest comments I've seen on here, and I'm including all of The Clamp's hypocrisy

Quite some doing I think you'll agree.

Its definitely a tough call to trump The Clamp's hypocrisy. But does it top “The European Court of Justice is nothing to do with the EU” though.
Cant see anything bettering that one, it’s the gold standard of thickest comments ever seen on here by a country mile.

ps i omitted the others as they are irrelevant to my follow up question

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
For those who cant distinguish between the withdrawal agreement and chequers(no names mentioned) should have a listen to newsnight and Simon Coveney the Irish minister for foreign affairs and trade explain the separation of the two.
He also just kicked in with “just to give some positive news for your listeners” ….”the withdrawal treaty between the EU and the UK is 90% agreed, it’s the last 10% which is difficult and political” :whistle:

:shrug:

Congratulations. A sterling lesson in going off at tangents, whataboutery, waffle and procrastination in order to avoid a simple question.

Oh well, If you really can't decide what you want 2 and a half years on, then maybe it's just best to accept what you're given :lolol:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
For those who cant distinguish between the withdrawal agreement and chequers(no names mentioned) should have a listen to newsnight and Simon Coveney the Irish minister for foreign affairs and trade explain the separation of the two.
He also just kicked in with “just to give some positive news for your listeners” ….”the withdrawal treaty between the EU and the UK is 90% agreed, it’s the last 10% which is difficult and political” :whistle:

Guilty as charged on the procedural point. But for all practical purposes it's a meaningless distinction given the 'nothing is agreed until everything is agreed mantra'? Moreover as I understand it the withdrawal agreement itself must include some sort of agreement on the direction of travel for the next stage so there's hardly a Berlin Wall between the two. My reading of the situation is that both sides will kick as much down the road to be worked on after March 2019 and keep everything as vague as possible just to keep the process afloat.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Its definitely a tough call to trump The Clamp's hypocrisy. But does it top “The European Court of Justice is nothing to do with the EU” though.
Cant see anything bettering that one, it’s the gold standard of thickest comments ever seen on here by a country mile.

I guess we all have our own favourites for most stupid post on this thread. Personally I prefer the more subtle stupidity :lolol:

Just googled "Brexit" and dont get even half the doom you get.

View attachment 91104

Seem to get a far more balanced/information based crop.......looks like your google knows what you enjoy reading.

http://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?343854-BrExit-the-countdown-to-11PM-GMT-on-Friday-29th-of-March-2019&p=8200608&viewfull=1#post8200608

Last edited:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I was going to call you out for this, but I suppose it depends what side of the fence you are. I still maintain that while that is the sort of utter stupidity that makes me cringe, this bloke's rant about the EU insisting they have no right to have meetings without the UK present remains the thickest (not mention most deluded) post I think I've ever seen on the subject. It just ignores absolutely every fact going. It shows an incredible ignorance.

And of course the unpalatable truth for you is that while we have The Clamp embarrassing our side, you have about five equally stupid NSCers on yours.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I was going to call you out for this, but I suppose it depends what side of the fence you are. I still maintain that while that is the sort of utter stupidity that makes me cringe, this bloke's rant about the EU insisting they have no right to have meetings without the UK present remains the thickest (not mention most deluded) post I think I've ever seen on the subject. It just ignores absolutely every fact going. It shows an incredible ignorance.

And of course the unpalatable truth for you is that while we have The Clamp embarrassing our side, you have about five equally stupid NSCers on yours.

Am still awaiting the 2 Profs 'Greatest Hits Album' - probably to be released in time for Christmas!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Clearly some remainers are now so desperate, instead of arguing points about Brexit they're taking the piss out of leavers ..... right down to attacking where they have posted from. :facepalm:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patreon
Jul 10, 2003
Clearly some remainers are now so desperate, instead of arguing points about Brexit they're taking the piss out of leavers ..... right down to attacking where they have posted from. :facepalm:

And clearly, some Brexiteers are now so desperate, that they are posting about anything but Brexit

Looks like your 'no deal' with a United Ireland may happen yet, what were the odds of that :)

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Guilty as charged on the procedural point. But for all practical purposes it's a meaningless distinction given the 'nothing is agreed until everything is agreed mantra'? Moreover as I understand it the withdrawal agreement itself must include some sort of agreement on the direction of travel for the next stage so there's hardly a Berlin Wall between the two. My reading of the situation is that both sides will kick as much down the road to be worked on after March 2019 and keep everything as vague as possible just to keep the process afloat.

You can now move on on from your procedural error as you have recognised it and moved on (can you tell Watford zero)
Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed is EU guidelines on the Brexit Article 50 negotiations
http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2017/04/29/euco-brexit-guidelines/
There is no stipulation to this related to the future relationship
http://www.consilium.europa.eu/media/33458/23-euco-art50-guidelines.pdf
There obviously cant be as the future relationship is an ongoing non-binding political statement.

The direction of travel( future relationship) will indeed be referenced in the withdrawal treaty, but only as a non binding political statement.
But I agree with you, there will be a withdrawal agreement/treaty, and they will agree enough of the future relationship to push withdrawal over the line and secure the transitional period to allow the extra time for talks to begin and conclude on trade without the added hassle of their being a no deal.
Some will call this a fudge, some will say lets be practical and give them as much time as possible to sort things out.
Whatever happens, the withdrawal treaty will be concluded we are still out on march 2019,…..happy days

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
You can now move on on from your procedural error as you have recognised it and moved on (can you tell Watford zero)
Nothing is agreed until everything is agreed is EU guidelines on the Brexit Article 50 negotiations
http://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/press/press-releases/2017/04/29/euco-brexit-guidelines/
There is no stipulation to this related to the future relationship
http://www.consilium.europa.eu/media/33458/23-euco-art50-guidelines.pdf
There obviously cant be as the future relationship is an ongoing non-binding political statement.

The direction of travel( future relationship) will indeed be referenced in the withdrawal treaty, but only as a non binding political statement.
But I agree with you, there will be a withdrawal agreement/treaty, and they will agree enough of the future relationship to push withdrawal over the line and secure the transitional period to allow the extra time for talks to begin and conclude on trade without the added hassle of their being a no deal.
Some will call this a fudge, some will say lets be practical and give them as much time as possible to sort things out.
Whatever happens, the withdrawal treaty will be concluded we are still out on march 2019,…..happy days

Interesting. How confident are you there will be a withdrawal treaty, whatever happens?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Its a daft post i agree, Article 50 will inform anyone we can be excluded from talks and meetings legally, five to one though is a bit strong considering the clamp posts that there are only four of us left on here......i dont think you are listening to your leader very hard

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And clearly, some Brexiteers are now so desperate, that they are posting about anything but Brexit

Looks like your 'no deal' with a United Ireland may happen yet, what were the odds of that :)

If only I'd placed a bet !

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
If only I'd placed a bet !

Despite it never being mentioned during the referendum campaign by anyone Vote Leave, there does seem to be on-or-two Irish unification Brexit voter after timers on the thread though - If you had have placed that wager I'd have checked the date stamp carefully on the slip.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
:shrug:

Congratulations. A sterling lesson in going off at tangents, whataboutery, waffle and procrastination in order to avoid a simple question.

Talking of simple questions where did I introduce 'The European Union (Withdrawal) Act' into the conversation,you keep deflecting

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Still confident,90% agreed now if the Irish minister is to be believed.

Yes - 90% agreed as Simon Coveney said, but that 10% just leaves the whole matter of Northern Ireland and the backstop and the frosty meeting yesterday morning between Varadkar and May suggests your confidence is a little premature. (Though I'm sure being premature is quite common for you)

To avoid no deal then and reach a withdrawal agreement and then a transitional period, which is basically EEA membership and the length of future relationship talks alone, coupled with the fact we have no infrastructure in place yet for an FTA which wouldn't solve Northern Ireland anyway, let alone be properly ready for no deal anytime soon, will dictate that it'll need to be far longer than just to 2020. First though we need to solve a problem like Northern Ireland. What's your preference as to a solution?

A. Full UK alignment.
B. Internal UK border.

Both are going to prove to be most unpalatable to many in Westminster too and will require a climb down, eg Rees-Mogg amendment for one. Or do you have confidence an alternative, as yet to be identified, solution will be found?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here