Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I'm not really up to date with all the rules of the EU, the latest decision on membership (which would have applied before the UK cities made their bids) was in 2014. But there were ECCs before this date, several of which have been outside the EU - Bergen and Reykjavik for example, and others from candidate countries, Prague and Krakow. I'd guess, therefore, that the rules allowing non-EU countries were laid down very early on.

Well,as an non-EU country in 2019,I thought we would still qualify.Probably a waste of time,be just like Eurovision,GB nul points.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I will file this along with the other Brexit statements of certainty that the Netherlands would immediately follow us out in their general election, and then the French, and that Greece would cause the Euro to collapse and the famous £350m back per week for the NHS, amongst others

File what you like, but remember that plenty of the idiots on your side refute the fact that the following are lies! And seem to think they're clever doing so.............unbelievable!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...ld-war-7928607

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.g...s-if-we-leave/

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...y-agreement-eu

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...-a7039981.html

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/n...aluations.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/matt..._12191462.html

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I will file this along with the other Brexit statements of certainty that the Netherlands would immediately follow us out in their general election, and then the French, and that Greece would cause the Euro to collapse and the famous £350m back per week for the NHS, amongst others

Think Poland and Hungary are much more likely to quit than Holland,particularly if their subsidies are cut after Brexit.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Christ................To be born in Hastings to an NHS family.............some of you people actually had the right to vote 'leave' or 'remain'................motherf*****r.

I wish I'd stayed in Africa, or never left Tunbridge-Wells.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Christ................To be born in Hastings to an NHS family.............some of you people actually had the right to vote 'leave' or 'remain'................motherf*****r.

if your going to disrepects peoples right to have a different view, maybe you should have.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

Thx GT. Not sure I would say I am on a side but know what you mean. None of those links works bar the one that says house prices could fall by btw 10% to 18%. Given our currency and therefore the countries wealth has devalued by c15% since Brexit this call wasn’t far off the mark. It also said mortgages could increase, and of course that has already happened.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thx GT. Not sure I would say I am on a side but know what you mean. None of those links works bar the one that says house prices could fall by btw 10% to 18%. Given our currency and therefore the countries wealth has devalued by c15% since Brexit this call wasn’t far off the mark. It also said mortgages could increase, and of course that has already happened.

“The [Governrmt] prediction that average UK earnings in 2022 could still be less than in 2008 is "astonishing", according to an independent economic think tank.
Paul Johnson, director of the Institute for Fiscal Studies, added that the economic forecasts published in the Budget made for "pretty grim reading".
He highlighted that since 2014 growth in earnings has been "choked off".
"We are in danger of losing not just one but getting on for two decades of earnings growth," he said.”

Wonderful.

Jan 30, 2008
HT was right on the money. It really is just a constant stream of utter bollocks from you. It does not surprise me a jot that you go online to watch videos of people trying to polish turds.
I however, won't be. Thank you.

Worked out what the meaning of the word leave is yet ?
regards
DR

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
The one thing (actually it's more than one thing but this is one of the more puzzling things) is that Brexiteers don't uncouple the political from the economic. I think I can understand (just about) the arguments for sovereignty (political) to remove us form the EU. A lot of folk have maintained these views for many years and I can grudgingly accept and even respect this, though I don't share their view. I can also see the 'refund' arguments and the migration arguments. But why do Brexiteers then fall over themselves in trying to believe that we would somehow be better off outside the EU? Because the political imperatives do not really drive the economic ones; they are to a large extent independent of each other.

Thus it would be quite logical for a Brexiteer to 'admit' (or just to say) that "fair enough we will probably be poorer outside the EU, but I personally think it's a price worth paying". But instead we get all this baloney that no serious economist other than Patrick Minford - who many would not accept as a serious economist anyway - spout about the golden future that awaits us trade-wise.
Or at best we get the 'all the experts are wrong' argument or the (slightly more credible) "well no-one knows what will happen" defence (so let's suck it and see and what happens, as it's only our kids' futures at stake).

I guess I can anticipate the response (so please feel free to prove me wrong!) but I thought it was worth a try: I appreciate we all tend to paint ourselves into a corner on these things (some more than others), but are all Brexiteers genuinely optimistic about our economic prospects outside the EU? Aren't you just a little bit concerned?

I know a fair few older Brexiteers that happily admit he country will be poorer, and Farage did admit this before also

Many just want things back like 1960 again, they just don't care, nice pensions and the system insulates them from the pain to come

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well,as an non-EU country in 2019,I thought we would still qualify.Probably a waste of time,be just like Eurovision,GB nul points.

But why? We didn't meet any of the criteria so why should we qualify?

And we wouldn't have got nul points because it was the UK's turn in 2023, the question would be which city would have got it.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Think Poland and Hungary are much more likely to quit than Holland,particularly if their subsidies are cut after Brexit.

Anything is possible but I would bet against that. Any country seeing how the EU is running rings around our negotiators and intentionally making life difficult and how our government seems to have imploded will think many times over before jumping into this mess

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I know a fair few older Brexiteers that happily admit he country will be poorer, and Farage did admit this before also

Many just want things back like 1960 again, they just don't care, nice pensions and the system insulates them from the pain to come

I voted to leave in the full expectation that the country would be poorer, at least in the short term. As you say, Farage admitted this would be the case. I did think, however, that the UK negotiators would do a better job of things and be keener to get a deal sorted.

I thought that we'd accept some short term pain but the indications are that the pain is going to be a lot worse and a lot longer than it should be.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Is there a Brexiteer on here who can genuinely say a good thing or two about how well the government are handled ng the negotiation?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Wait......what?
You have been to Africa?

You should have mentioned this sooner.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Can't decide if I should make you look a complete ****.No,I will be charitable and let you Google 'polish a turd'.Some good turd-polishing videos on there.Try checking before gobbing off,eh?

You are correct, you can indeed polish a turd, it is still a turd though, as you said.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
I voted to leave in the full expectation that the country would be poorer, at least in the short term. As you say, Farage admitted this would be the case. I did think, however, that the UK negotiators would do a better job of things and be keener to get a deal sorted.

I thought that we'd accept some short term pain but the indications are that the pain is going to be a lot worse and a lot longer than it should be.

Serious question. Why did you think the negotiations would go better? They are a stronger and much bigger economy and therefore hold the aces. Or is this an example of believing they need us more?

I am not after a row, I am genuinely interested.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here