Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
So the government today announces they are allocating £3BN today to deal with Brexit and £2.8BN for the NHS

Quality, time to get the bus repainted

Less than a third of the money we will send to the EU in one year then... what a bargain to facilitate the democratic will of the Great British Public.

And that desperately unfunny line definitely wasn't worth repeating ... were you writing the Chancellors jokes? :facepalm:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Less than a third of the money we will send to the EU in one year then... what a bargain to facilitate the democratic will of the Great British Public.

Unfortunately the democratic will of the Great British Public would have been something completely different if the bus had told the truth. £350m a week and we'll give £30m a week to the NHS hasn't got quite the same ring to it.

Nevermind let's plough on regardless based on lies.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
The agencies have to leave, no iffs or buts,they cannot remain no matter how much you want them to, its in the EU regulations.
Short term muddling through exercise for us but with the knowledge its more confirmation we are indeed leaving i see no long term downside that they are relocating.
I cant understand how so many of you are suddenly shocked at the announcement of where they are relocating to.

I suspect the downside of having a separate agency to handle the licencing of new drugs will be felt in a few years. The approach pharmaceutical companies take when filing new drugs with regulatory agencies is commercially driven. The US and EU are the largest markets and hence they are always targeted first. Then it's usually Japan. Then other smaller markets. Drug companies don't have the resources to handle dealing with more than a small number of agencies simultaneously so this is the inevitable approach taken. UK will remain an important market, but will find itself down the pecking order which will translate to getting new drugs available 1-2 years after the EU I suspect. Of course some agreement may be reached whereby we still have some cooperation with the EMA and hence keep at the top of the list, but that seems politically unacceptable at the moment, so it's not looking likely at present. And of course emerging markets may shift us even further down the list in a decade or two. The other consideration is it will add to the cost of developing and licencing new drugs which of course will be passed onto the consumer.

People at the moment may just shrug and file it under "price worth paying", but I do wonder if we are destined to see some angry tabloid headlines about this in 3 or 4 years.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Unfortunately the democratic will of the Great British Public would have been something completely different if the bus had told the truth. £350m a week and we'll give £30m a week to the NHS hasn't got quite the same ring to it.

Oh God - here's another fool who believes that everyone believed the '£350M to the NHS' baloney. Some remoaners still think people believed it, because it somehow enhances heir grievance about losing the referendum*; most leavers took it with a pinch of salt and voted leave because that's what they wanted. Is that too hard to understand? Well, for some of the defeated minority, I suppose it is.

*'Losing'. Defined here as coming second in a two horse race...............

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010

£30 millions isn't the £350 million a week the NHS was promised though, is it?

I would be pretty pissed off if I was duped into voting leave by that.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull

Try reading the side of th bus again!

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
Oh God - here's another fool who believes that everyone believed the '£350M to the NHS' baloney. Some remoaners still think people believed it, because it somehow enhances heir grievance about losing the referendum*; most leavers took it with a pinch of salt and voted leave because that's what they wanted. Is that too hard to understand? Well, for some of the defeated minority, I suppose it is.

Not everyone by any means, but it would have affected some people. To completely deny that anyone believed it seems a bit thick.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

Head............
Stuck............
In...........
Sand.................
Arse .............
In.................
Air................
About...............
To...............
Be..................
Royally.............
Rogered.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Try reading the side of th bus again!

nhsbus.jpg

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!

Leave ran a very good campaign; Remain ran a very poor one. Whilst there is maybe data that indicates the influence of the slogan on the Leave vote, I think it's fair to conclude that it made a difference and that the phrase 'most leavers took it with a pinch of salt' might somewhat misrepresent and underestimate the impact of the message? I don't think those clever architects of the Leave campaign would have taken the trouble to use that space on the side of the bus for this one message had they not been fairly confident that it would chime with the electorate? Well done them, I say. I just wish they hadn't been so bloody successful.

Fitzcarraldo

Nov 12, 2010
I’m struggling here. Can you point me to the bit that says use ALL the £350m for the NHS

Unfortunately not everyone has a mind as perceptive as yours clearly is.

I think that it is fair to say that most people looking at that bus would interpret the slogan as: 'the £350m sent to the EU each week will be spent on the NHS'.

In the cold light of day both statements in that sentence have been proven to be lies. As Gary Nelson's Teacher says above, it is just a shame the lies were so effective.

Last edited:

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Ok , how about this

Instead of sending the EU £350m per week, let's fund our NHS.

Exactly the same message.

You seem to be having trouble understanding the meaning of "instead".
Or perhaps it could be read as

Instead of sending £350m to the EU lets put that money to better use by doing things like funding our NHS.

The fact is I don’t personally believe that many people reading that thought we would use all the EU money for just the NHS. Also I believe most people realised that the leave campaign were not in a position to decide what the EU money should be spent on anyway as they had no authority.

The whole bus thing seems to have been used to somehow paint any leavers as gullible morons when most of us had real concerns over the future direction of the EU and voted accordingly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here