Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Sounds like a plan, hope all you remainers have written to your MP and requested they vote for the deal rather than see us Leave on the default No deal instead.
Have any of you?

My MP is a member of the ERG who says May's deal isn't hard enough for her, so she will be voting against.

fanseagull

Dec 18, 2018
Welcome back Pastafarian... I hope you are well.
However, I see you show no sign of improvement. Hilarious.

Last edited:

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
So we have 45 million people of voting age, of which about 17 million voted Brexit, which is not exactly a majority using my calculation. I don't know what all the fuss is about because we are never going to be able to renegotiate 40 years of agreements in the next few years even if we had the will to do so. It aint going to happen.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
She might have a say in our relations with her country. Fine.

She won't have any say on our domestic laws though will she. If we had a government willing to do what she wants domestically for the sake of a trade deal with the US (which I doubt they would need or want to), then that would be their responsibility. & You could hold them to account for that decision. Don't you understand the difference between making decisions for yourself (be they good or bad) and someone else making decisions for you.

This stuff isn't complicated, some of you people twist and manipulate the truth like a sport. So f*cking willfully blind, or perhaps just plain dishonest.

Your faith in our ability to pick and choose which large post-Brexit trade deals we fancy signing is misplaced I feel. My point though was that politicians entirely beyond the reach of British voters will continue to have practical influence over the lives we lead, the politicians we elect and the standards we adopt, almost certainly more than they do now. The vision of distilled sovereignty in a post-Brexit world looks like a mirage to me.

But thanks for your closing paragraph. Have a pleasant evening yourself.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Our own system is an evolution away from a pure Monarchy, eroded over time to become more democratic. None of us voted to be under this UK system either.
Is it that you don't think a wider European Political entity is useful/beneficial in any way, or is it just the structure of what we have now that is not good enough?

You’re right, no one in the U.K. voted for our system, it has evolved over centuries and whilst it has its own flaws, it’s relatively simple to understand. Compared to our European peers the system has generally worked well and we have not had any credible political extremism in Parliament. A fine thing.

The EU’s political structure is new, also evolving in 40 years and despite treaties introducing various new steps the U.K. electorate has never had a say. That situation is largely down to the cohorts of U.K. politicians that have tried to turn our eyes away ftprom Brussels, play down its importance.

Well, the electorate had their say, and after a mere 20 years it has no affection or relevance to the majority of British people.

The U.K. joined a common market, they did not expect to be part of an integrated federal state. Ted Heath knew the future but lied to the British people. Those moaning about lies and mistruths in 2016 need to look at how Heath engineered a victory in 74 by just 6 votes in the HoC.

Plus ca change......

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
The Government.

No. The UK public voted for the legislature (or at least a part of it), the Executive forms itself out of that but is not directly elected by the public in any way, shape or form. Nobody has ever voted directly for Theresa May to be Prime Minister, for example, bar a small group of Conservative MPs.

Whilst the system could allow a Lord to be a PM it is a pre requisite for the prime minister to be elected by a constituency. Similarly this process will apply to the vast majority of the cabinet.

What are the constituencies of those in the EU Commission that create EU law as the Cabinet of the UK Govt would?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The wording on the Referendum pamphlet in 1975.

http://www.harvard-digital.co.uk/euro/pamphlet.htm

A referendum on the "European Community (Common Market)"........you are simply confirming we have never had a referendum on the European Union set up as it is now including things like the single market or the wider larger membership above the first few members either

My MP is a member of the ERG who says May's deal isn't hard enough for her, so she will be voting against.

The question was have you contacted her to ask her to vote for the deal not what is she going to do. I will take that as a no, you havnt.

Welcome back Pastafarian... I hope you are well.
However, I see you show no sign of improvement. Hilarious.

:ffsparr:..........have a hat :dunce:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Its preferential thick people like you shouldnt be involved in the democratic process anyway...........apparently..............according to a thick person with a stupid idea.

I was also thinking of including an English test. Sorry.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Well done, you have come up with irrelevant waffle to my post and for the cream topped it with the majority of people alive voted for remain…………..when did that re-run vote with your statistical confirmations happen? How is it you get to claim ownership of non voters and those still too young to vote too?

I am not claiming them, they might all vote Leave, the point is they haven't voted but have to live with the result, and a bunch of people voted and then died, so will not have to live with the consequences.
We won't know until we have a referendum on it, and until then, you cannot legitimately claim a majority of the population want this.

I understand Putin funding the campaign and electoral fraud is just waffle to you, being a democrat.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Your faith in our ability to pick and choose which large post-Brexit trade deals we fancy signing is misplaced I feel. My point though was that politicians entirely beyond the reach of British voters will continue to have practical influence over the lives we lead, the politicians we elect and the standards we adopt, almost certainly more than they do now. The vision of distilled sovereignty in a post-Brexit world looks like a mirage to me.

But thanks for your closing paragraph. Have a pleasant evening yourself.

You are pretending that someone convincing you to make a particular decision is the same thing as someone making a decision for you.

Like I said, dishonest.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
With a few not unreasonable turns we could very soon be rid of May, rid of Brexit and the gathered mob can have a little riot and smash some stuff up, which is all they really want to do anyway. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up here but guys, we may all just get what we want out of this after all.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
How would that help Welsh voters who by law were given a Welsh version of the referendum question too.
Not very inclusive from your lofty perch are you.

You know in Wales they are taught the English language at school, like you or I. So if they are voting age and still can't speak English then I might have some questions as to whether they are fit to vote!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Sounds like a plan, hope all you remainers have written to your MP and requested they vote for the deal rather than see us Leave on the default No deal instead.
Have any of you?

If only you could decide what you wanted you could join in as well, one way or the other.

But I think the fence is more appropriate for someone like yourself :lolol:

Never mind, maybe you'll find out what you voted for tomorrow.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You know in Wales they are taught the English language at school, like you or I. So if they are voting age and still can't speak English then I might have some questions as to whether they are fit to vote!

Of course they can, don’t see why you even needed to mention it.
Personally I wouldn’t impose an English test to vote on our citizens or remove a welsh language version from a ballot to adhere to a grotty prove your level of English let alone impose a “stupid” test. Im not really keen in the slightest about removing hard earned suffrage.Perhaps you lap up his ideas though?
Wonder what other purity tests Herr T has up his sleeve.

If only you could decide what you wanted you could join in as well, one way or the other.

But I think the fence is more appropriate for someone like yourself :lolol:

Never mind, maybe you'll find out what you voted for tomorrow.

I already know what I want. There is even a thread where I have joined in.
http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...down-to-11PM-GMT-on-Friday-29th-of-March-2019
Carry on reading.What page are you on? How about your prediction……for the fourth time of asking

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
You’re right, no one in the U.K. voted for our system, it has evolved over centuries and whilst it has its own flaws, it’s relatively simple to understand. Compared to our European peers the system has generally worked well and we have not had any credible political extremism in Parliament. A fine thing.

The EU’s political structure is new, also evolving in 40 years and despite treaties introducing various new steps the U.K. electorate has never had a say. That situation is largely down to the cohorts of U.K. politicians that have tried to turn our eyes away ftprom Brussels, play down its importance.

Well, the electorate had their say, and after a mere 20 years it has no affection or relevance to the majority of British people.

The U.K. joined a common market, they did not expect to be part of an integrated federal state. Ted Heath knew the future but lied to the British people. Those moaning about lies and mistruths in 2016 need to look at how Heath engineered a victory in 74 by just 6 votes in the HoC.

Plus ca change......

But would you be happy with a differently structured EU?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Of course they can, don’t see why you even needed to mention it.
Personally I wouldn’t impose an English test to vote on our citizens or remove a welsh language version from a ballot to adhere to a grotty prove your level of English let alone impose a “stupid” test. Im not really keen in the slightest about removing hard earned suffrage.Perhaps you lap up his ideas though?
Wonder what other purity tests Herr T has up his sleeve.

I already know what I want. There is even a thread where I have joined in.
http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...down-to-11PM-GMT-on-Friday-29th-of-March-2019
Carry on reading.What page are you on? How about your prediction……for the fourth time of asking

Bizarre

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here