Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
#Barnier: "If disagreements persist then the transition period is not a given". #Brexit. Big.

As said above, that will be an interesting one, if on day 1 we haven't negotiated an agreement to fly into Europe or vice Verda.

But it's all fake news anyway. It is all going swimmingly.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Yeah, its the EU's fault that the British government is a huge cluster****.who seem unable to agree among themselves.

would you agree if one side goes back on the agreed text from previous discussions, they are maybe, possibly in the wrong?

seems to me todays clusterfudge is started by Davies getting his knickers twisted over some EU template text. where Barnier is taking it, without having agreement from his masters to actually change agreement, looks a bit off.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
would you agree if one side goes back on the agreed text from previous discussions, they are maybe, possibly in the wrong?

seems to me todays clusterfudge is started by Davies getting his knickers twisted over some EU template text. where Barnier is taking it, without having agreement from his masters to actually change agreement, looks a bit off.

Sadly, I have no faith in what Davies does, in any capacity. If this was an issue brought up by a remainer, then we would be told that its 'negotiation'.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Tories are in such a mess.

I've just watched the Andrew Neil interview with Tory International Trade Minister Greg Hands where the latter wouldn't even confirm we'd still be in the Customs Union during the transition period April 2019 - Dec 2020.

Like Andrew Neil, I thought this had already been agreed that we'd adhere to the EU's wishes during the proposed 21-month transition period, i.e. free movement of labour, capital, people, goods up until 31 Dec 2020. Now it seems the transition period itself is at risk from disagreements, with Mogg and his acolytes forcing May and Davis into Hard Brexit.

May should tell the Brexiteers to shut the f*ck up and being patient while we extricate ourselves from the EU in an orderly fashion. Total f*cking shambles.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just been catching up on the news. Huge statement from Barnier about the transition period not being a given. I fully expect Davis to now use the you need us more than we need your German car Prosecco card and blow Barnier out the water. Go David Go! Flex your muscles and show ‘em who’s in charge here!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
David? Where’s David?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So clueless

Indeed Barnier is. Let's take a look at one of the sticking points :

"The right of the UK to object to new EU rules and laws during the period"

And his response :

"To be frank, I am surprised by these disagreements. The positions of the EU are very logical, I think," said Mr Barnier.

To to use an example of fisheries policy. Barnier thinks it's logical that the EU can set fishing quotas in BRITISH waters but can't have any say on that ? Really ?? If we're out of the 'club' as he insists we will be then the EU should have no say at all over quotas in BRITISH waters. We'll be paying our membership fees and he wants us to abide by all the rules. Therefore we should have a say in what goes on in OUR waters.

His argument is utterly illogical. And don't try with that 'we decided to leave' shite, yes we did and we will and therefore the rules don't apply. Time we walked away from the EU loons now .... they clearly don't actually want to negotiate just dictate .... the same as the last 40 years. And it's THAT attitude of his that reflects the attitude of the EU in general that brought 15m people to stick two fingers up at them.

29th March would be a great time for our new aircraft carrier to show it's force on EU fishing boats. Should make the Icelandic cod wars look like a spat in a nursery.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Let’s wait and see. As you yourself have said, it’s not over until it’s over.

But I keep being told by remainers that we have to stick to what was 'agreed' - seems their arguments swing more than a big swinging thing.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012

And his response :

"To be frank, I am surprised by these disagreements. The positions of the EU are very logical, I think," said Mr Barnier.

To to use an example of fisheries policy. Barnier thinks it's logical that the EU can set fishing quotas in BRITISH waters but can't have any say on that ? Really ?? If we're out of the 'club' as he insists we will be then the EU should have no say at all over quotas in BRITISH waters. We'll be paying our membership fees and he wants us to abide by all the rules. Therefore we should have a say in what goes on in OUR waters.

His argument is utterly illogical. And don't try with that 'we decided to leave' shite, yes we did and we will and therefore the rules don't apply. Time we walked away from the EU loons now .... they clearly don't actually want to negotiate just dictate .... the same as the last 40 years. And it's THAT attitude of his that reflects the attitude of the EU in general that brought 15m people to stick two fingers up at them.

29th March would be a great time for our new aircraft carrier to show it's force on EU fishing boats. Should make the Icelandic cod wars look like a spat in a nursery.

Is this a joke? How long could we survive without trade routes with Europe? What proportion of factories would shut? Where will our food come from? Etc etc.

We represent about 15% of EU exports. They represent about half of ours. Who needs who?

Goodness me.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Is this a joke? How long could we survive without trade routes with Europe? What proportion of factories would shut? Where will our food come from? Etc etc.

We represent about 15% of EU exports. They represent about half of ours. Who needs who?

Goodness me.

what causes this lurch to the ridiculous concept of all trade ceasing with EU? as if they'll send their collective navies to blockade the channel. the worse, very worse case scenario is that everyone will still trade as they do today, with some tariff and paperwork added. no, that is not trivial, its a real cost, but its million miles "how could we survive".

Jan 30, 2008

Goodness me.

how did we cope before we joined the common agricultural policy :facepalm:
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008

And his response :

this, all day long !!
regards
DR

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Perhaps we should send someone with a bit more calibre to the negotiations before we send our aircraft carrier? I think (all) Bernier is saying that UK should obey the rules during the Transition period. The alternative presumably is that we don't obey the rules which seems a tad unreasonable? Perhaps some safeguards to UK interests could be negotiated up front but we have to turn up to negotiate them. We could end up in a lose/lose situation very soon.

Jan 30, 2008
Perhaps we should send someone with a bit more calibre to the negotiations before we send our aircraft carrier? I think (all) Bernier is saying that UK should obey the rules during the Transition period. The alternative presumably is that we don't obey the rules which seems a tad unreasonable? Perhaps some safeguards to UK interests could be negotiated up front but we have to turn up to negotiate them. We could end up in a lose/lose situation very soon.
losing what ???
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
You want to start a WAR over some FISH!? FFS, grow up you child.
If you have a gram of sense you will realise that the resources in the world need to be carefully managed by ALL countries in order to ensure they are still there long term. It is and should not be just up to us how much we fish.
Idiot.
get a grip it was just an example , bye bye EU :thumbsup:
regards
DR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here