Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Wonder what VW are going to do with the 340,000 polluting cars they have had to buy back?Over 7 billion euros worth,that's a lot of scrap!Nice picture of a small part of them on the BBC news website.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Exactly as I thought. A friend of yours and a union activist. How many times do we hear about an organisation being close to collapse/morale being low etc from those seeking to gain more resources?

With the reductions in staff numbers over the last few years, coupled with the fact we're supposed to be 'taking control of our borders' next year, launching the Settled Status system, on top of all ongoing work, such as losing track of nearly 600,000 non-EU visitors on Visas to this country since 2015 and protecting us from human/drug trafficking and the heightened terror threat etc, etc - I think they might need it.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
With the reductions in staff numbers over the last few years, coupled with the fact we're supposed to be 'taking control of our borders' next year, launching the Settled Status system, on top of all ongoing work, such as losing track of nearly 600,000 non-EU visitors on Visas to this country since 2015 and protecting us from human/drug trafficking and the heightened terror threat etc, etc - I think they might need it.

You may well be right in that they may indeed need more resources. I don't know the ins and outs, and nor do you, but to say that morale is at an all time low is so hard to gauge but very easy to say.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Oh no: Brexit to mess up Easter! Surely this alone will make a 2nd referendum a certainty?? (Extract is from today's Guardian)

It might be a good year for Britons to stock up on Easter eggs, after a major chocolate manufacturer warned of the risk of shortages, higher prices and products turning stale after Brexit if the government goes ahead with pulling out of the single market and customs union.
The Italian confectionery giant Ferrero, which owns the Thorntons brand among others, has told MPs that much of the chocolate it sells in Britain is manufactured in Ireland, France, Belgium, Germany, Poland and Italy.
The company’s ability to produce quality chocolate, from bars to Easter eggs, relies on consistent regulations in the UK and the rest of Europe, and the free movement of goods across borders, according to a submission to parliament’s cross-party business select committee.

Ferrero, an employer of 3,500 people in the UK, where its turnover is £483m, says that if tariffs were applied on the raw ingredients it could add 10% to the cost of its chocolates. However, the company says, “of greater significance to Ferrero specifically would be the non-tariff barriers”.
The potential obstacles to trade that are prompting the alarm include the UK’s possible divergence from EU standards in food and labelling, which would complicate Ferrero’s business model and possibly increase costs “by as much as 10%” while reducing “the number of different products on the market”.
The chocolatier claims that “inadequate customs arrangements” when the UK leave the customs union would also lead to shortages and products going stale as they wait in storage at Dover and Calais. T

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
You may well be right in that they may indeed need more resources. I don't know the ins and outs, and nor do you, but to say that morale is at an all time low is so hard to gauge but very easy to say.

Staffing numbers have gone down by over 20% during 2010-2015 and a further 4% since then. As well as retirements, people have just left, because, yes, morale is an at all-time low because it isn't much fun working there.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
it is interesting isnt it? stay in the signle market by default but outside the customs union.

Which is the Norway option. A prior legal challenge on it was thrown out as being too soon in the process, but the Government are adamant that Article 50 covers Article 127, yet we're staying in the single market past the Article 50 deadline in a year due to the transition. Very interesting.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
OOOH nasty.They might indeed break their hand if they have osteoporosis caused by the air pollution from VW diesels.Thought you were on holiday?Did you try to fly on Air Berlin,from Brandenburg?

I am....they have internet in hotels you know. And I travelled by train as I’m in only in Hamburg. A great concert last night, and a nice day in the spa with a massage has set me up nicely for a few beers and dinner. Have a nice evening. Off to the symphony or are you drinking with David Beckham tonight? :lolol:

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This country has been losing track of non eu migrants for years, nothing new, and it all started under the Labour party.

:lolol:

Dismiss it, then blame someone else. What you really meant to type is you don’t have a smart answer?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I am....they have internet in hotels you know. And I travelled by train as I’m in only in Hamburg. A great concert last night, and a nice day in the spa with a massage has set me up nicely for a few beers and dinner. Have a nice evening. Off to the symphony or are you drinking with David Beckham tonight? :lolol:

You wouldn't believe me anyway,but I'm off for a Currywurst and a few beers at the Bierkeller in Broad Street.Beckham is more your age group,with his peculiar tastes in clothing,and wife.Have a lovely evening.Is the Reeperbahn still lively?UTA:lolol:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Oh no: Brexit to mess up Easter! Surely this alone will make a 2nd referendum a certainty?? (Extract is from today's Guardian)

It might be a good year for Britons to stock up on Easter eggs, after a major chocolate manufacturer warned of the risk of shortages, higher prices and products turning stale after Brexit if the government goes ahead with pulling out of the single market and customs union.
The Italian confectionery giant Ferrero, which owns the Thorntons brand among others, has told MPs that much of the chocolate it sells in Britain is manufactured in Ireland, France, Belgium, Germany, Poland and Italy.
The company’s ability to produce quality chocolate, from bars to Easter eggs, relies on consistent regulations in the UK and the rest of Europe, and the free movement of goods across borders, according to a submission to parliament’s cross-party business select committee.

Ferrero, an employer of 3,500 people in the UK, where its turnover is £483m, says that if tariffs were applied on the raw ingredients it could add 10% to the cost of its chocolates. However, the company says, “of greater significance to Ferrero specifically would be the non-tariff barriers”.
The potential obstacles to trade that are prompting the alarm include the UK’s possible divergence from EU standards in food and labelling, which would complicate Ferrero’s business model and possibly increase costs “by as much as 10%” while reducing “the number of different products on the market”.
The chocolatier claims that “inadequate customs arrangements” when the UK leave the customs union would also lead to shortages and products going stale as they wait in storage at Dover and Calais. T

Oh no.No Ferrero Rocher.If Perrier goes as well,it could be the end of the middle class.:lolol:

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Think they are only employing staff on a temporary basis.Once all travel is banned by the EU,there won't be any immigrants to be checked.No flights,no Eurotunnel,no ferries etc etc etc :yawn:.And now,no chocolate.We will have to eat grass.:laugh:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

hard to think of a more disingenuous submission. raw materials of cocoa and sugar come from outside the EU (and subject tariffs to protect French interests), Ferrero is responsible for their own product standards above the minimum of "its safe to eat" and the shelf live of those products are months (if they would be put in storage at all). given they sell vastly overpriced confections i dont see how they are in a position to complain about a 10% cost.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
hard to think of a more disingenuous submission. raw materials of cocoa and sugar come from outside the EU (and subject tariffs to protect French interests), Ferrero is responsible for their own product standards above the minimum of "its safe to eat" and the shelf live of those products are months (if they would be put in storage at all). given they sell vastly overpriced confections i dont see how they are in a position to complain about a 10% cost.

Interesting response. I can't take issue with you on the specifics as I don't know the dynamics of the business. But I would offer some general points:

1. I'm not sure why they'd be putting this out there if there's nothing to cause any concern?

2. They seem to be making some points that reflect (and perhaps re-inforce) the macro-level problems that business will face - echoes of the CBI's issues with Brexit (i.e. this could be the shape of things to come post-Brexit)

3. I'm not particularly a fan of big business myself. Let's subscribe, then, to your 'disingenuous' line. Even if you are right and business somehow use Brexit as a tactical rationale for opportunism then it's still consumers and other stakeholders who will lose out.

It would be hard to interpret the case study as a flag carrier for the joys of Brexit. And I think that these are the sort of practical issues at the sharp end that will come increasingly to the fore after we know the 'deal'. In the words of the song we "ain't seen nothing yet".

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Think they are only employing staff on a temporary basis.Once all travel is banned by the EU,there won't be any immigrants to be checked.No flights,no Eurotunnel,no ferries etc etc etc :yawn:.And now,no chocolate.We will have to eat grass.:laugh:

You paint an attractive picture of an isolated island race surviving on grass. I know that Leavers tend to look at the past with rose-tinted spectacles, but maybe this is taking it a bit far?:lol:

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Interesting response. I can't take issue with you on the specifics as I don't know the dynamics of the business. But I would offer some general points:

1. I'm not sure why they'd be putting this out there if there's nothing to cause any concern?
They're paving the way for a massive price hike and boost to shareholders whilst getting their 'excuse' in earlier, and attempting to shift the blame elsewhere. As has been pointed out elsewhere, most of the ingredients of their product come from outside the EU anyway - so yet again, it's just some profiteers lining up Brexit as an excuse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You wouldn't believe me anyway,but I'm off for a Currywurst and a few beers at the Bierkeller in Broad Street.Beckham is more your age group,with his peculiar tastes in clothing,and wife.Have a lovely evening.Is the Reeperbahn still lively?UTA:lolol:

Enjoy your wurst. Reeperbahn, behave....I hang out in Sternchanze when I’m in Hamburg.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
They're paving the way for a massive price hike and boost to shareholders whilst getting their 'excuse' in earlier, and attempting to shift the blame elsewhere. As has been pointed out elsewhere, most of the ingredients of their product come from outside the EU anyway - so yet again, it's just some profiteers lining up Brexit as an excuse.

A more complete response would address my other 2 points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here