Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I reckon most of us appreciate turd free beaches, fish in our rivers, being able to breathe clean air and having the right not to be worked into an early grave.

Exactly. As I said in an earlier post, the EU have done far more for me than any British government. And to think the lovely caring Tory party are suddenly going to pump money into areas and societies they’ve willfully neglected for decades is absurd.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
http://uk.businessinsider.com/no-deal-brexit-could-cost-140-billion-2017-12?r=US&IR=T

Here we go. Report from the Rand Corporation (USA based/generally respected think-tank, so please don't brand as 'Project Fear'). Most would read this as a pretty grim projection for our post-Brexit prospects but a few Brexiteers might feast on the morsels of optimism herein?
It's a price with paying so that the EU doesn't force things like workers rights and abolishing roaming charges upon us.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It's a price with paying so that the EU doesn't force things like workers rights and abolishing roaming charges upon us.

And they can shove that airline delay repay up their arses. What use is the 250 euros I recently received?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Exactly. As I said in an earlier post, the EU have done far more for me than any British government. And to think the lovely caring Tory party are suddenly going to pump money into areas and societies they’ve willfully neglected for decades is absurd.

You dont say, thats practically all you ever say, tell us something we dont know !!

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Good to see the public recognising Mrs May's great leadership this week and swinging behind her in support :thumbsup:

CON 42%(+2)
LAB 41%(nc)
LDEM 7%(nc)

Changes on last week. Poll taken Sun/Mon

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You dont say, thats practically all you ever say, tell us something we dont know !!

Tell you something you don’t know eh? A rather broad question. Shall I start with anything about the British pharmaceutical industry? :lolol:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Ah. gotcha. Well yes, they could have but didn't and would never ever have done if it was just up to them. I'd argue that seizing the only opportunity I'll ever get of having a say in the matter isn't flawed logic though.

Yes if you voted for Brexit because you didn't want to be in the EU because you don't like it, fair enough,not flawed. But voting for Brexit "purely in the belief that having ultimate rule of law and government", when we already have the ultimate rule of law and government doesn't make sense to me.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

As an aside I think this is grossly unfair. I contribute to the music, running, restaurant and craft beer threads. You might find something you don’t know in any of these threads.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Difficult to judge fairly, UKIP vote against everything pretty much, and they are the majority of our MEP's. The Lib Dem and Tory MEP's would be in opposition much less. UK Government opposition to EU legislation has usually been on social and environmental aspects, one of the reasons I voted remain. Our Government would rather not have had to use EU approved testing methods to check air quality in London, it would just like to have a guess based on the number of cars, because by guessing we could say the air was within guidelines, when we had to test it, it wasn't. Our Government took the EU to court over maximum working hours legislation, even though the Governments own legal counsel advised them not to as it had been proven to be valid for health and safety of workers. Our government was forced to clean up our waterways and coastlines by an EU lawsuit, but we still pumped raw sewage into the sea for a further 5 years, we were the last nation in Europe to still do it.
We may have a record of losing the argument with the EU when we take them on, but I reckon most of us appreciate turd free beaches, fish in our rivers, being able to breathe clean air and having the right not to be worked into an early grave.

Apart from that what have the Romans ever done for us?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Good to see the public recognising Mrs May's great leadership this week and swinging behind her in support :thumbsup:

CON 42%(+2)
LAB 41%(nc)
LDEM 7%(nc)

Changes on last week. Poll taken Sun/Mon

Where did the 2pts come from UKIP?

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
As an aside I think this is grossly unfair. I contribute to the music, running, restaurant and craft beer threads. You might find something you don’t know in any of these threads.

I sometimes peruse those threads too, however on this particular thread you are anti UK, something I find strange as you seem to enjoy your frequent visits here, it's rare trait, most people when emigrating tend to look back fondly to their homeland, even if they believe that their new country is a better option, its not a matter of patriotism its usually a matter of connection, family, friends, school friends and other memories but you are actively anti the UK whilst exaggerating the benefits of living in Germany (I have lived and worked there too) and in this discussion that makes your view hardly ever reasonable when discussing the EU or Brexit, I think it is driven by an unusually enthusiastic political position that dominates your overall picture of all things Europe and before you counter this, you said as much shortly after the referendum, you posted a political suicide note of how you had lost any love for the UK, or something similar.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Another climb down from the Tories

https://www.politicshome.com/news/u...backs-down-brexit-henry-viii-powers-head-tory

Democracy is working and standing up for democracy.

"Number 10 said it was accepting the amendment in the name of Conservative backbencher Charles Walker calling for a special "sifting committee" to be set up to scrutinise any proposed changes to returning laws.

The Prime Minister's spokesman said: "We have said from the outset that we will look at the amendments and where we consider that improvements can be made to the legislation, we will respond to them."

Seems like a very measured and sensible response to concerns expressed by MPs. Nice work.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Where did the 2pts come from UKIP?

Much smaller sample size than their previous polls in November and October and was also taken Monday and Tuesday of last week, so it's irrelevant to Mrs May's great leadership/fudge of this week.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I sometimes peruse those threads too, however on this particular thread you are anti UK, something I find strange as you seem to enjoy your frequent visits here, it's rare trait, most people when emigrating tend to look back fondly to their homeland, even if they believe that their new country is a better option, its not a matter of patriotism its usually a matter of connection, family, friends, school friends and other memories but you are actively anti the UK whilst exaggerating the benefits of living in Germany (I have lived and worked there too) and in this discussion that makes your view hardly ever reasonable when discussing the EU or Brexit, I think it is driven by an unusually enthusiastic political position that dominates your overall picture of all things Europe and before you counter this, you said as much shortly after the referendum, you posted a political suicide note of how you had lost any love for the UK, or something similar.

To first state I’m anti-UK, and then state I enjoy my frequent visits to the UK, should tell you something about your first statement.....ie that it’s nonsense.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
most people when emigrating tend to look back fondly to their homeland, even if they believe that their new country is a better option.

The only time I look back is to to assess personal things when moving forward. So this doesn’t really apply to me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here