Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There is no need to question my intelligence just because I hold a different opinion to you. It is okay for you to believe whatever you want. It does not make you superior or your argument.

Other countries will trade with us because of what we have to offer to the world. My concern is whether, given the way our MP's are negotiating do we have competent people to employ to negotiate trade deals.

Japan has said it will trade with us after Brexit, in return for no visas.
Of course, we trade with Japan now as part of the EU trade agreement.

Controlled immigration? It will never happen.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Can we start with the first question? The government's long-term economic analysis report from November is a good starting point.

Have you seen any evidence that the country will be better off?
That is a forecast and one of many which may or may not be accurate. You asked for evidence. I'm asking the same.

The government's own forecast is based on brexit shock and the compound effects thereof. In short no one knows or can know the long-term. Over a longer period socio-economic factors come more into play which I believe could make it favourable.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
It’s a bit rich for her to now start bleating about putting party politics aside in the national interest. It’s only because she is desperate. Scum is too nice a word for Tories.

I love how those oh so superior types like you and TLO have to resort to pathetic insults because someone has a different ideaology to yours. Quite telling. Are you in Momentum?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You continue to lie even after being informed otherwise.
Being members of the EU gives it exclusive competence in certain areas to legislate and make laws directly applicable to us with NO need for our own parliamentary input.
This isn’t a twitter myth.

You’re talking absolute bollocks.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Odd how Gove went fully on the attack with some very debatable soundbites that have been argued and proved incorrect before and then May invites him for talks. He’s meant to accept after that? Come on.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Well it sounds to me like Labour and SNP won't talk until 'no deal' is off the table.

No big surprise there, then :shrug:

I'll compromise with that just as long as remain is also taken off the table as well ...... after all we've already answered that question.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
I'll compromise with that just as long as remain is also taken off the table as well ...... after all we've already answered that question.

It's very doubtful that remain is an option unless we have another referendum but Corbyn has no appetite for that, by taking no deal off the table and extending article 50 all but ends Brexit. :shrug:

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
That is a forecast and one of many which may or may not be accurate. You asked for evidence. I'm asking the same.

The government's own forecast is based on brexit shock and the compound effects thereof. In short no one knows or can know the long-term. Over a longer period socio-economic factors come more into play which I believe could make it favourable.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Have you got any evidence of those that would help to make an informed decision more effectively than the current long-term evidence-based reports?

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The whole shambles has been handled appallingly, however when you're negotiating, all options have to be available, however unpalatable.

Taking one of the options off the table, before you start weakens your hand considerably.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I love how those oh so superior types like you and TLO have to resort to pathetic insults because someone has a different ideaology to yours. Quite telling. Are you in Momentum?

As I said yesterday, self-serving selfish scum is the best I can come up with to describe the action of the Tory party to protect themselves and themselves only. If you or I had been so inept, and failed so spectacularly in our jobs, we’d be at the job centre now. In fact the vast majority of people would. We would not vote ourselves back in and then carry on as though nothing happened whilst stubbornly claimed to be able to find the solution when absolutely nothing she has said or done in the past 2 years has shown she can. She has just suffered the worst defeat ever in British history. For **** sake do the decent and honerable thing and walk Theresa May....and please do it in something other than those nauseous leather trousers...you’re too old for them.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
It's very doubtful that remain is an option unless we have another referendum but Corbyn has no appetite for that, by taking no deal off the table and extending article 50 all but ends Brexit. :shrug:

For the love of god please can we do all to ensure A50 isn't extended. I don't think I could cope with another year of Brexit in the news 24/7, the politicians spending another year ballsing it up and us all being in the same situation.

In seriousness what the country [and companies in the UK] need is stability, by extending A50 and thus keeping uncertainty it wont help

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The whole shambles has been handled appallingly, however when you're negotiating, all options have to be available, however unpalatable.

Taking one of the options off the table, before you start weakens your hand considerably.

Having it on the table has done **** all so far. Why continue? It’s proven the “difficult woman” approach with added insults and swaggering arrogance from her colleagues does not work. Time to change tack, and personal. Let someone else have a go.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Sorry but Mauritania don't. They joined the (east African trading bloc - not sure name is correct) and have preferred trading deals with over 20 WTO members including the EU.

Britain would be the only country In the world to try and trade on WTO defaults.

ECOWAS (Economic Community of West African States) Mauritania had a 'Maurexit' from it at the turn of the century and has since limped back into a 'partnership agreement' with it.

btnbelle

Apr 26, 2017
You’re in favour of controlled immigration which for the rest of the world, we can already implement. That’s good.

What people don’t realise is population growth is linked to economic growth. Even when we leave, I hate to disappoint you, but immigration will not fall in a growing economy, controlled or otherwise as we’ll be welcoming in as many as possible. Look at immigration numbers from outside EU since 2010 when the Tories promised to control immigration i.e those from outside the EU.

I am in favour of controlled immigration for the EU too.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Yes.
What is the point paying a lot of money to be a member of a club, whose trading rules amplify our weaknesses ( goods/manufacturing ) and nullify our strengths ( services ). A club that has no desire to reform and whose very existence will be under severe pressure in the future.
( p.s Germany about to go officially into recession. France in social turmoil. Italian banks collapsing. Southern Mediterranean economies ruined......and I thought we were the one with problems! )

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I am in favour of controlled immigration for the EU too.

I realise that, but what I'm trying to paint for you so that it doesn't come as too much of a shock, is that immigration will not change after we Leave. It simply won't because if incoming numbers were the issue and over 50% coming in are from outside the EU, we would have already curbed immigration. We haven't and that should tell you that economically it is not viable to do so.

I appreciate you are in favour of controlled immigration, but leaving the EU will not change the numbers. In fact, I would go as far as to say that if our new trading utopia materialises, and we do have an upturn in economic output, we will increase immigration and make it as close to free movement from the EU as we can make it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here