Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Some people never pay back their student loan. Their income has to reach one of two levels.

Plan 1 loans will start being repaid once you earn over £18,330 a year.

Plan 2 loan repayments start once you earn over £25,000 a year.

I know people who went to university and got a degree but were working in admin with me on just £21K a year, so therefore only paying back the minimum.

I always thought the trigger income was £21 000, worth noting that you only pay back 9% of the money over that, a salary of £25 000 equates to a repayment of £30.00 per month

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It always overruns, meaning if I happen to be watching the late news or Match of The Day on that particular Saturday night I don't have a choice - Public school numpties bouncing up and down to Naval ditties and songs about The British Empire come at me, along with some conductor waffling on, telling unfunny jokes that the aforementioned public school numpties will roar with laughter at, along with some opera singer dressed like a t**t singing 'Rule Britannia!' which is always referred to as 'Thomas Arne's Rule Britannia!' Why is that anyway? Is it a better version or something, like 'Spectrum' by Florence and The Machine compared to 'Spectrum' by Florence and The Machine (Calvin Harris Remix) the latter being the more banging tune.

You always have a choice, change channels if you hate it so much.
Or continue to watch it whilst you wait for match of the day and wind yourself up.
How on earth can you dislike this.:)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You always have a choice, change channels if you hate it so much.
Or continue to watch it whilst you wait for match of the day and wind yourself up.
How on earth can you dislike this.:)

I love Last Night at the Proms. I'm not middle class.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Point of fact. Universities have always charged a fee. There has always been a fee. The government used to pick up the tab. It no longer does. There are huge costs to the university involved in putting someone through college. I’m undecided whether the student should pay but ultimately it has to be paid for. The student will only pay it back once they get a decent enough wage. They may technically be in debt but they will go on to earn more money in general than non graduates.
Everyone has to shoulder some debt in life. A mortgage is a debt, HP vehicles are debt etc. It’s just life.

larus

Point of fact. Universities have always charged a fee. There has always been a fee. The government used to pick up the tab. It no longer does. There are huge costs to the university involved in putting someone through college. I’m undecided whether the student should pay but ultimately it has to be paid for. The student will only pay it back once they get a decent enough wage. They may technically be in debt but they will go on to earn more money in general than non graduates.
Everyone has to shoulder some debt in life. A mortgage is a debt, HP vehicles are debt etc. It’s just life.

OMG, it’s now a post from you that I agree with. I hope this doesn’t mean we’re bestest buddies now :lol:.

I would support free university education for STEM type courses, with an independent panel to determine on a yearly (or whatever time frame was deemed appropriate for proper planning) which subjects this convered. Yes, this is selective but I feel that too many teenagers choose subjects which are more vocational than academic.

University has historically been for the best and the brightest (it’s the best bit which has led to more people wanting to go as it has been perceived as the way to a better life). It should be for the brightest irrespective of background, but some of the courses don’t fit into what I would view as traditional university courses. It seems like a way of fleecing money from kids to me.

larus

It is not free, there are university fees! How do you not realise that!?
Fine pay private tutors but don't segregate rich kids from poor when at school. They should all have the same basic resources available to them. There may not be such a divide if rich and poor families interacted on a level playing field more often.

Do you think that private schools should be illegal then?
What about private tuition?
What about private sports coaching?
Or private music lessons?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Education should be free for all, end of. Private schools should be banned or allow all kids in the area to attend even if they cant affors to. Why should one chils receive a higher level of education simply due to their parents wealth? What did the poorer children do to deserve that treatment?

You have identified private schools as having a superior education. Why should the children receiving a superior education be denied this and forced into an inferior education? Isnt it better to raise the standards of the inferior education up to the standards of the existing superior one, rather than lowering standards so everyone receives the same inferior education.......because you dont want people, who can afford it making an individual choice on their childs education doesnt have any rational merits behind it, when the important factor must and should be the quality of the education.

melias shoes

Oct 14, 2010
It always overruns, meaning if I happen to be watching the late news or Match of The Day on that particular Saturday night I don't have a choice - Public school numpties bouncing up and down to Naval ditties and songs about The British Empire come at me, along with some conductor waffling on, telling unfunny jokes that the aforementioned public school numpties will roar with laughter at, along with some opera singer dressed like a t**t singing 'Rule Britannia!' which is always referred to as 'Thomas Arne's Rule Britannia!' Why is that anyway? Is it a better version or something, like 'Spectrum' by Florence and The Machine compared to 'Spectrum' by Florence and The Machine (Calvin Harris Remix) the latter being the more banging tune.

Must be awful for you. It goes a long way to explain a few things. You probably hate everything about what this country once was and would like to see it eradicated. Voted remain too. All makes sense now.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
So the people going to university are paying twice? That seems fair. Everyone benefits from university educated individuals. But you should answer my question: why do you think it ok to punish one set of essential workers and not another set of essential workers?

A fair % of students once studies completed then drop out and take menial jobs. A little unfair to the ones who try hard to succeed who then have to pay their dues

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
All education should be improved to the same excellent level, I agree. But no child should have access to a better school as their parents are rich.

Poorer kids can still have a crack at private education. It requires an extra entrance exam and a bursary and the right set of circumstances but it is a possibility. I did it. I will concede these places are limited.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Ah, the magic taxpayer's money tree. So it costs around £33bn to run universities ( that doesn't include tech colleges etc ). Taxpayers already pay about £8.5bn of that bill. Uni students pay £14.6bn of the bill in fees. To replace that £14.6bn you would have to increase income tax - for ALL rates - by ~4p. Would you be happy to pay that increase ? After all the people it would hit the most would be the poorest taxpayers. How EXACTLY would YOU fund this idea ?

I can't be arsed to get into the tuition fee discussion, or the implications of it, but I will point out that this post is a load of bullshit.

First, it's worth noting that the government still funds university education - they've just implemented a scheme where they increased tuition fees (and scrapped maintenance grants), and made students fund these increases by an increasing their loans. But they still pay the upfront costs, but they've just rigged the system so that the deficit appears less than it is because student loans do not count as part of the deficit, even though it's money the government has paid out. Scraping fees and bringing back the maintenance grant would therefore technically increase the deficit, but the upfront fees paid by the government would increase only by £1 billion (because of self-funders getting free education). But because of how the repayments actually work out, it was estimated at the time of the last GE it would cost £8 billion per year. Still a significant wedge, no doubt, but quite a different take compared to how you presented it.

Where did you get your figures from? They look out of date anyway.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
All education should be improved to the same excellent level, I agree. But no child should have access to a better school as their parents are rich.

Well not everyone is “rich”, some parents put their child through private education and struggle after the fees are met. Then there are scholarships, bursaries and charitable entrances too.
But you still havnt explained why people should not be permitted this choice for their children.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
according to Manofsussex you must be a public school toff then if you like it ........no i dont understand that reasoning either :shrug:

It's the public school numpties at The Royal Albert Hall that incur my displeasure - people like the bloke below:

promsDM0403_468x320-450x308.jpg

I can instantly tell from looking at him that he's a public school numpty and there's a better than average chance that his political persuasion is identical to that of some other public school numpties in The ERG who are arrogantly and ineptly driving this country to goodness knows where - you know the sort - Owen Patterson, Jacob Rees-Mogg, John Redwood etc.

Anyway, proms music isn't really my thing - Give me Acid House, Rave, Techno, Madchester or Indie over some fat bloke from Malta singing 'Thomas Arne's Rule Britannia!'

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is not free, there are university fees! How do you not realise that!?
Fine pay private tutors but don't segregate rich kids from poor when at school. They should all have the same basic resources available to them. There may not be such a divide if rich and poor families interacted on a level playing field more often.

I disagree. Education is not necessarily university. After 18 firms should pay for further training, as in the case of my other half who is a qualified mechanical engineer, but now so much electronics is needed, his firm paid for him to take his HND in electronic engineering.
Companies are moaning the workers don't have the skill sets but won't pay for the training.

You go on to mention the same basic resources, which is what education up to the age of 18 comprises.

University education is not for the masses.

I was on holiday in France when a couple of coaches pulled into the camp site full of dancers aged between 11 and 15. In Russia, you are separated at 11 depending on your skills. These were all good dancers, so their school taught the usual state education up to noon, and then after lunch, it was all dance training. It was fascinating talking to their teachers.
Engineers would go to an engineering school, linguists to a language school, gymnasts to a gymnastic school etc etc.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Do you think that private schools should be illegal then?
What about private tuition?
What about private sports coaching?
Or private music lessons?

None of these should be illegal however full time private education being only available to those who can afford such privileges this gives those who by the accident of birth to have an overwhelming advantage in life as can be seen from the leaders of our country and industry, what we have is a small gene pool of talent that excludes the vast majority.

larus

None of these should be illegal however full time private education being only available to those who can afford such privileges this gives those who by the accident of birth to have an overwhelming advantage in life as can be seen from the leaders of our country and industry, what we have is a small gene pool of talent that excludes the vast majority.

If none of those should be illegal, then it invalidates plooks argument.

He’s saying everything should be equal (oh, the delusion of youth). The fact is, if you have more wealth you get better things in life as you can pay for them.

So, let’s go to an extreme example. Mr Billlionaire wants to have private tutors for his child in every subject. According to plooks, everyone should be entitled to this. He can’t accept the obvious reality of the world everywhere, that the elite/rich have the best and the average Joe gets much less.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here