Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
Please forgive my ignorance on this, but would the Irish border issue, and some other issues e.g. freedom of movement between the UK and EU, be resolved by both the UK and Ireland becoming party to the Schengen Agreement?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Salzburg went well Theresa. Now onto Birmingham for the Tory Party Conference.

I pity the poor c*nt, her life is a living hell.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Not sure if ousting May will change anything..

Same divided Tory party, same EU framework, same parliamentary arithmetic

I agree, but looking at the bits I saw of that press conference she looked nearly as rattled as she did in the election with the social care u-turn. She has been weakened further and seemed surprised by events today.

Even Mark Rutte put the knife in by saying The Netherlands is more prepared than The UK for No Deal.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
May has ****ed it.

Peston

Chequers, as the journalist Chris Deerin has pointed out, goes pop.

Which wry and funny as it is for those of us of a certain age will not be cheering up Theresa May.

Because the EU summit in Salzburg has been a personal catastrophe for her.

And worse than that, it was an avoidable catastrophe.

Because every EU expert bar those she employs in Whitehall has been saying very loudly for weeks that the trade and commercial proposal in her Chequers Brexit plan would never win favour among the EU 27.

So the question is why she waited to have that so publicly and humiliatingly stated by the EU's president Donald Tusk today, rather than quietly acquiring some wriggle room over recent days.

Also, she's rejected the EU's proposal to keep the Northern Ireland border with the Republic open - because in her estimation it would undermine the integrity of the UK - but won't tell them what her revised proposal may be, though she insists she has one.

Neither she nor EU leaders want a "hard" no-deal Brexit.

But probably the only way for her to avoid it is to eat the humblest of humble pies and jog back to the deal her departed Brexit secretary, David Davis, naively thought he had been mandated to negotiate - a more conventional free trade agreement based on Canada's deal with the UK.

And maybe she could get that through the House of Commons, if her Remainer MPs were terrified into believing that the alternative to backing it would be a general election - which they assume Corbyn would win (whatever opinion polls may indicate).

That said, Canada still wouldn't solve the Irish border conundrum.

Which means that the UK may not be in a position to sign a withdrawal agreement - and that in turn means a no-deal Brexit remains a live possibility, even a probability.

A couple of things follow from all of this:

1) May will emerge as unique in the annals of history if she survives as PM much longer in the face of setbacks on this scale;

2) if all conventional roads lead to a hard no-deal Brexit, the notion of Parliament exerting control and forcing another referendum on us would begin to look not wholly fanciful.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
what were we promised ? apart from leaving the single market, customs union and ending free movement ie LEAVING THE EU COMPLETELY
regards
DR

None of that was on the ballot paper. In all seriousness, why doesn't it concern you that leaving the single market might be detrimental to the well being of this country? I can understand the opposition to free movement, but the single market is surely a good thing?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I agree, but looking at the bits I saw of that press conference she looked nearly as rattled as she did in the election with the social care u-turn. She has been weakened further and seemed surprised by events today.

Even Mark Rutte put the knife in by saying The Netherlands is more prepared than The UK for No Deal.

Go where from here, a Canada plus Free Trade deal?

But that won't solve the Irish border problem either.

Which means that the UK may not be in a position to sign a withdrawal agreement - and that in turn means a no-deal Brexit remains a possibility.

And who voted for that?

The notion of Parliament exerting control and forcing another referendum suddenly looks a possibility.

Can the Tories ever be trusted with power ever again?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Tory leaders have a habit of attending EU summits and returning with sod all except to make us look even more stupid and weaker.
Johnson and Mogg must be so happy about this, which, seeing as this could cause huge problems for us, shows just how divided and totally selfish the Conservatives are.
This has been a total farce and a mess since day, and people still don't want a 2nd referendum and are happy to keep walking down a very dangerous road.
And we call the Irish thick.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
May's machinations have all been about what she can sell to her own party. The PM has not been looking at what is good for the country at all. When the Chequers proposals were published the EU were clear that they were not acceptable. They were crystal clear on this, and for reasons they have set out throughout the entire two year process.

Theresa May went into these negotiations with a plan to fix the roof on the Titanic whilst completely ignoring the hole in the bottom that was going to sink it anyway.

For good or, in all certainty, ill, the referendum delivered a verdict of leave. The referendum said nothing about the terms of departure but the Tories immediately issued red lines which ruled out any of the least damaging options such as EEA or EFTA. The tories painted themselves into corner from which they have been unable to escape for two years. This is their mess, and they own it completely, there is no-one else to blame. Embarrassing is too kind a word.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
May's machinations have all been about what she can sell to her own party. The PM has not been looking at what is good for the country at all. When the Chequers proposals were published the EU were clear that they were not acceptable. They were crystal clear on this, and for reasons they have set out throughout the entire two year process.

Theresa May went into these negotiations with a plan to fix the roof on the Titanic whilst completely ignoring the hole in the bottom that was going to sink it anyway.

For good or, in all certainty, ill, the referendum delivered a verdict of leave. The referendum said nothing about the terms of departure but the Tories immediately issued red lines which ruled out any of the least damaging options such as EEA or EFTA. The tories painted themselves into corner from which they have been unable to escape for two years. This is their mess, and they own it completely, there is no-one else to blame. Embarrassing is too kind a word.

I hope they all ****ing burn.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
None of that was on the ballot paper. In all seriousness, why doesn't it concern you that leaving the single market might be detrimental to the well being of this country? I can understand the opposition to free movement, but the single market is surely a good thing?

I am starting to think some of the Brexit voters are akin to people smashing shop windows in acts of 'mindless vandalism'. Why does someone smash a window for apparently no reason? I wonder if the reason is similar to why some voted for Brexit and are seemingly happy with the likely negative consequences.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
The momentum growing day-by-day behind a second "People's Vote" as a way out of this mess would normally be unstoppable.

No idea if that will prove to be the case but I very much hope so.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I am starting to think some of the Brexit voters are akin to people smashing shop windows in acts of 'mindless vandalism'. Why does someone smash a window for apparently no reason? I wonder if the reason is similar to why some voted for Brexit and are seemingly happy with the likely negative consequences.

The analogy only works, if you consider that they were smashing the windows of their own house. The bloody idiots.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here