Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
But if you have weighed up your options and decided the UK is where you want to be above anywhere else no amount of extra checks would put a serious applicant off......surely.....especially if you have decided the UK is in the best interests of your family.
Visas cost money to administer no doubt and they can be expensive to aquire but what price do you put on checking the right people are coming into the country.......currently no one sensible is arguing that checks on non EU nationals should be stopped altogether.......what is wrong with extending checks? Many tier 1 and tier2 work visas are sponsored confirmed jobs, with the fee often paid for by the company and not the individual.
Im really not seeing an issue here especially as we do it already with non EU nationals and people are not up in arms about it.

Nurses already have to go through a number of searches as it is.

Many people who would have thought about the Uk for ease of access to jobs, work for family members, schooling etc would now be put of - certainly till its all clearer.

Potentially (all ifs and buts) 2 years of fewer staff in the NHS, followed by higher costs of recruiting staff.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
But if you are a EU nurse and you decided you wanted to come to the UK as you saw it to be better than Germany and provided better opportunities for your family why would you decide to pack the idea in because of some extra checks that really are nothing more than paperwork? surely if you have identified The UK as the best destination for you and your family you would jump through hoops to provide for them

Whilst everything is in limbo, the extra checks are currently an 85 page Home Office residency application that requires 5 years of documentary evidence and has a near 30% rejection rate. 5,500 EU nurses have left The NHS since the vote and just 101 were recruited for December, the last month that figures are available for, which is down 90% since before the vote.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
yeah like the anti EU vote was about getting rid of brown people, or a second referendum is coming soon mark my words or my personal favourite the economy is crashing

:laugh: :lol:

Dream on clueless

Like I said, you take yourself and the internet far, far too seriously.

I'm embarrassed to have bitten.

More fool me.

TB
TC

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Many people who would have thought about the Uk for ease of access to jobs, work for family members, schooling etc would now be put of - certainly till its all clearer.

Potentially (all ifs and buts) 2 years of fewer staff in the NHS, followed by higher costs of recruiting staff.

And yet the continued high number of people coming here to live and work from outside the EU would suggest people are not put off by added checks,the important thing is checks should be stringent, recent reductions in some areas of immigration(fake colleges) are because we are doing the right checks and asking the right questions.
These sort of checks and questions apply in the majority of the countries worldwide, we should not be scared to apply them ourselves

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

£1,000 per year, per nurse as a Tier 2 Employee as per the Immigration Skills Charge, all added to The NHS budget.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
And yet the continued high number of people coming here to live and work from outside the EU would suggest people are not put off by added checks,the important thing is checks should be stringent, recent reductions in some areas of immigration(fake colleges) are because we are doing the right checks and asking the right questions.
These sort of checks and questions apply in the majority of the countries worldwide, we should not be scared to apply them ourselves

But that still does not answer the question as why would they come to the UK over elsewhere in the EU where there is less hassle to settle?

You are correct other nationalities that come here do have to gain Visa's, but May has already said we will not be allow a higher quota for Indian Visa's.

You maybe right, it may not have an affect on Nurses coming in, but I personally think it will.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Whilst everything is in limbo, the extra checks are currently an 85 page Home Office residency application that requires 5 years of documentary evidence and has a near 30% rejection rate. 5,500 EU nurses have left The NHS since the vote and just 101 were recruited for December, the last month that figures are available for, which is down 90% since before the vote.

why conflate residency applications with extra checks for work visas.....they are entirely separate.
Do you not want authorities to be as thorough as possible with asking people to prove they have actually been here for 5 years before dishing out residency permits, if they just waved people on and didnt bother with these residency checks you would probably be the first to moan that the gov was doing a slack crap job

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
why conflate residency applications with extra checks for work visas.....they are entirely separate.
Do you not want authorities to be as thorough as possible with asking people to prove they have actually been here for 5 years before dishing out residency permits, if they just waved people on and didnt bother with these residency checks you would probably be the first to moan that the gov was doing a slack crap job

Residency applications are the only option EU nationals have to safeguard themselves permanently here now, as things stand. What work visas can EU nurses here currently apply for to work in The NHS and is there any sign of any being brought in the near future and how will they work? Fixed term, permanent?

There's also the fact that the pound has fallen in value against the Euro, which has made The UK a less attractive option for EU nationals.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Residency applications are the only option EU nationals have to safeguard themselves permanently here now, as things stand. What work visas can EU nurses here currently apply for to work in The NHS and is there any sign of any being brought in the near future and how will they work? Fixed term, permanent?

There's also the fact that the pound has fallen in value against the Euro, which has made The UK a less attractive option for EU nationals.

Can also demand a higher wage as applying for Visa etc.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
£1,000 per year, per nurse as a Tier 2 Employee as per the Immigration Skills Charge, all added to The NHS budget.

And we all agree its a mess, we are one of the worst countries in Europe for training our own nurses, we rely on stealing trained nurses from countries that would prob prefer we didnt.
There maybe a valid argument to lowering the visa fee for trained nurses but they now as tier 2 also have to provide a criminal record check to their employer.I doubt anyone here would argue given they have to work with vulnerable people and children that this is a bad thing

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
And we all agree its a mess, we are one of the worst countries in Europe for training our own nurses, we rely on stealing trained nurses from countries that would prob prefer we didnt.
There maybe a valid argument to lowering the visa fee for trained nurses but they now as tier 2 also have to provide a criminal record check to their employer.I doubt anyone here would argue given they have to work with vulnerable people and children that this is a bad thing

Nurses already have a criminal check, I think to work in the NHS you have to have a check anyway - On that I am not 100% sure.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Nurses already have a criminal check, I think to work in the NHS you have to have a check anyway - On that I am not 100% sure.

i suspect you probably do although im not 100% sure either
the point is whats wrong with having criminal checks on foreign nationals wishing to come here to live and work, if you have no objection to foreign NHS staff or foreign teachers getting checked why are remainers so against work visas and checks generally for EU citizens coming to live here when they are not against them for non EU citizens......its a hypocritical standpoint

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
i suspect you probably do although im not 100% sure either
the point is whats wrong with having criminal checks on foreign nationals wishing to come here to live and work, if you have no objection to foreign NHS staff or foreign teachers getting checked why are remainers so against work visas and checks generally for EU citizens coming to live here when they are not against them for non EU citizens......its a hypocritical standpoint

They should have background checks, you are right - I believe most do - but this is not an EU lead problem - it is from the UK Government

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patreon
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
can you and manofsussex confirm which version is true?
he says the visa fee is payed by the NHS and goes on its budget and you are going with the nurses pay it so can demand higher wages.

Sorry, I think that came out wrong, the hassle of applying for the Visa will push up wages as there would have to be a benefit of going through it.

Saying that, all the working Visa's I have had I had to pay for, then again you would not want me as a nurse...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here