Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'll answer this point as it is clearly partly aimed at me. I dismissed TB's reliance on Twitter not the platform itself. It's the fact that for every argument put up she back's it up ( or slaps it down ) with a Twitter link rather than arguing the point herself. Agreed I'm not the greatest fan of social media - in many ways it has brought as many detriments as it has benefits - but I'm certainly not fearful of progress in technology - I work it IT for starters ! BUT just because something is posted on Twitter or Facebook doesn't make it true.

It comes as no surprise you work in IT :p Apologies, couldn't resist!

So basically you have no problem with Twitter you are just using a tired old argument to dismiss TB's points.
Honestly, given TB's demeanour, career and post history do really think she is the kind of person to believe everything she reads on Twitter? Really?

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
The fundamental problem with being told the implications of no deal, potential or otherwise, is that too many people will just dismiss it all as Project Fear again. This despite the aviation industry still having no clue what, if anything, will replace the open skies agreement, plans to stockpile dry goods food reported as being afoot by DExEU in an attempt to keep the food supply chain open, the Home Affairs Select Committee being told last year that HMRC and The UKBF would require military assistance for the ensuing chaos at ports and just last week, Energy Minister Claire Perry, saying generators are now actively being requisitioned as a precaution for the electrical grid supply in Northern Ireland being interrupted............

Perhaps there comes a point when even the most stubborn ostrich takes his head out of the ground and looks up...………...

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
At least 2 Tory MP's have now stated that they were ordered to vote by Chief Whip Julian Smith despite being paired and when they refused he demanded to know why. All this despite The PM assuring the house yesterday that the Brandon Lewis/Jo Swinson failed pairing was done in error.

As well as Heidi Allen, even Peter Bone is quoted as being 'very concerned' at this breach of trust.

Enormous pressure now on Smith to resign and Brandon Lewis is up to his neck in it over this too.

Disgusting, and Smith will no doubt be sacrificed, but who cares? The die is cast. they get caught cheating but the result is in the bag. Throw someone under the bus, and enjoy the victory.

Absolutely stinks.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I lived in Suzhou for a year in the early 2000's. Next question.

If you have lived there,then perhaps you realise the pressures that exist on free speech or even opinions,in for example Shanghai?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Why do you keep laughing at your own appallingly unfunny "jokes"?

The laugh symbol was at the idea of full employment in the EU.Apallingly unfunny people like you are killing the Lib-Dems.That's why so many of the decent members have left.Cable has left you with a dead party.
dead duck.png

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Narcissism is a word that springs to mind...

Humourless drone who should mind his own business comes to mind.Think Karl was funnier than Groucho.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Like a lot of the time, I have no idea what you’re blathering on about. Why don’t you go and tend to your vegetable patch....I’ve got stuff to do.

You have no idea what most people are on about,and I leave the vegetables to sour krauts.Tzchuss,biss spater.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If you have lived there,then perhaps you realise the pressures that exist on free speech or even opinions,in for example Shanghai?

I also know that FB would be the last place anyone wishing to remain anonymous in China would post dissenting material. For starters it is regularly shut down by the government and when it is running it is notoriously and deliberately slow. Secondly it's not encrypted and extremely easy to infiltrate. Thirdly, your quote from this supposed closed group is clearly the work of a fantasist and not a Chinese citizen operating outside of communist law. I wasn't born yesterday.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Just noise. The fact is, remainers are only doing exactly what Farage did. You're a duplicitous hypocritical weasel dressing it up to suit your own argument.

Alternatively, a Lib Dem speaks:
"Anyone with half an ounce of intelligence can surmise that if it was close with a leave victory there was still fight in the cause to remain" .

Do you see what I did there?

Point of order ... 'some' remainers. Many, many remainers fully accept the democratic outcome of a referendum and a general election result should be enacted just like every other UK referendum/general election. The ones that don't accept that democratic results should be enacted using Farage as cover must feel particuarly soiled and are perhaps a tad desperate.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Point of order ... 'some' remainers. Many, many remainers fully accept the democratic outcome of a referendum and a general election result should be enacted just like every other UK referendum/general election. The ones that don't accept that democratic results should be enacted using Farage as cover must feel particuarly soiled and are perhaps a tad desperate.

All very true. But the major problem we have here is the apparent cluelessness of the government and their apparent lack of a plan. It doesn't fill any of us remainers with any confidence, and judging from what I saw this morning, many Brexiteers either. It's hardly surprising plenty of people are fighting an apparent "leave at all costs" eventuality.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
All very true. But the major problem we have here is the apparent cluelessness of the government and their apparent lack of a plan. It doesn't fill any of us remainers with any confidence, and judging from what I saw this morning, many Brexiteers either. It's hardly surprising plenty of people are fighting an apparent "leave at all costs" eventuality.

The government has been trying to reconcile two irreconcilable positions because of the parliamentary arithmetic. A problem of their own making in one respect (see 2017 election). Leaving with a no deal would be bad economically speaking but not leaving would be catastrophic for our democracy ... quite a mess.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You have no idea what most people are on about,and I leave the vegetables to sour krauts.Tzchuss,biss spater.

Did you mean Tschuss, bis später? Three words, and you got every one wrong :thumbsup:

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
No deal, without a transition and leaving on 30/03/19:

Main consequences of scenario 2: withdrawal on 30 March 2019 without a withdrawal agreement

The United Kingdom will be a third country and Union law ceases to apply to and in the United Kingdom.

Citizens: There would be no specific arrangement in place for EU citizens in the United Kingdom, or for UK citizens in the European Union.

Border issues: The European Union must apply its regulation and tariffs at borders with the United Kingdom as a third country, including checks and controls for customs, sanitary and phytosanitary standards and verification of compliance with EU norms. Transport between the United Kingdom and the European Union would be severely impacted. Customs, sanitary and phytosanitary controls at borders could cause significant delays, e.g. in road transport, and difficulties for ports.

Trade and regulatory issues: The United Kingdom becomes a third country whose relations with the European Union would be governed by general international public law, including rules of the World Trade Organisation. In particular, in heavily regulated sectors, this would represent a significant drawback compared to the current level of market integration.

Negotiations with the United Kingdom: Depending on the circumstances leading to the withdrawal without an agreement, the EU may wish to enter into negotiations with the United Kingdom as a third country.

EU funding: UK entities would cease to be eligible as Union entities for the purpose of receiving EU grants and participating in EU procurement procedures. Unless otherwise provided for by the legal provisions in force, candidates or tenderers from the United Kingdom could be rejected.

https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/inf...-preparing-withdrawal-brexit-preparedness.pdf

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Leaving with a no deal would be bad economically speaking but not leaving would be catastrophic for our democracy ... quite a mess.

What is truly catastrophic for our democracy is that a campaign can be funded illegally and be fought on a tissue of lies.

All of the central pillars of the campaign are being removed, one by one. £350m per week for the NHS, Turkey joining the EU, they need us more than we need them, have cake and eat it, sovereignty of parliament (yet attempts to bypass it thwarted by Gina Miller / judges = traitors).

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
What is truly catastrophic for our democracy is that a campaign can be funded illegally and be fought on a tissue of lies.

All of the central pillars of the campaign are being removed, one by one. £350m per week for the NHS, Turkey joining the EU, they need us more than we need them, have cake and eat it, sovereignty of parliament (yet attempts to bypass it thwarted by Gina Miller / judges = traitors).

The Remain camp had a huge spend advantage and the weight of the Uk government machine, UK/European, global establishment and big business behind them. For tissue of lies see project fear, both sides stretched the truth/fibbed.

The Central Pillar of the Leave campaign was 'take back control'. Many people voted to leave because they wanted more democratic accountability and many were fed up of being continually ignored. I would humbly suggest ignoring their democratic voice would be a mistake. If voting doesn't make any difference even when they are in the majority what do you suggest they do next to make their voices heard?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Complete prick came to mine.

Bullshit artist to boot. He seems to forget that NSC is populated by a HUGE variety of people that he knows next to nothing about. It wouldn't cross his tiny mind for one second that someone on here may have lived in China and knows exactly how their internet platforms work, or don't work as the case may be and could smell his bullshit a mile off. He's bloody rude as well.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The Central Pillar of the Leave campaign was 'take back control'. Many people voted to leave because they wanted more democratic accountability and many were fed up of being continually ignored. I would humbly suggest ignoring their democratic voice would be a mistake. If voting doesn't make any difference even when they are in the majority what do you suggest they do next to make their voices heard?

Did you laugh as you typed this? I did. Great satire. :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here