Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They aren't moving their 'HQ' they are moving their 'legal HQ' - where their business is registered. They are doing it to keep their business within the EU. It could almost just be a postal address or a small room. It will probably employ a handful admin staff - they are not going to close down their Brighton office or move the jobs from there or indeed their Burgess Hill office either.
And why would they bother keeping their business within the EU then?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I largely agree with your highlighted point. I spend a fair amount of time in areas where local people feel ignored by remote southern politicians. It was obvious they wanted to protest and that's why I hazarded a guess about which way the referendum would go. It wasn't clever of me. Stand in a Lincolnshire social club and you could see it coming.

You imply that more robust (ie Brexity) negotiators would have got more out of the EU negotiators. I am not sure you're right: those negotiators have been mandated by members not to cede ground on what they regard as basic principles and in respect of these it would have made little difference who was on our side of the table and how loud they were shouting. I agree that life for our own negotiators would have been simpler if it hadn't been for the mother of parliaments exercising its rights in the background. But that, sadly for them, is how our ancient system of representative democracy works. It's a messy old business.

Well, at least we now agree on who's mainly to blame .. politicians ignoring entirely legitimate concerns of the electorate .. see the Remain establishment here and the EU supporting establishment across Europe, which is why so many populist parties are getting stronger.

I wasn't trying to suggest 'Brexity' negotiators/politicians would have necessarily got more but they could hardly have got less. I think it more likely they would have not continually caved in and been serious about preparing for a no deal. Plus of course a Canada +++ deal has been on the table for some time. Our ancient system of representative democracy honours and enacts democratic results be it General Elections or referenda ... a major reason why democracy has endured. Shame on those trying to break/undermine this vital pillar of our system.

And another thing... you're stating the bleeding obvious.

OF COURSE people arguing against Brexit would, if the country had to leave, prefer the mildest form of it. That doesn't mean and has never meant that they want it. Are you really expecting them to say: "I'm 100 per cent against leaving the EU but if we have to leave I'd prefer the severest-possible version of departure."?

The considered view is that a soft-Brexit is most people's second favourite - Remainers would rather have it than leave and Leavers would rather have it than remain. But hardly anyone actually wants it. You know all this anyway - you just couldn't resist an unfounded rant.

I completely understand that some extremist loons would prefer the UK to become a Vassal state rather than see the UK make a clean break and forge a new role in the world.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
And why would they bother keeping their business within the EU then?

As well you know, it's so they continue to trade in the 27 member countries of the EU without hinderance.

So a question for you - what effect do you think this move will have on the UK ?

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
They aren't moving their 'HQ' they are moving their 'legal HQ' - where their business is registered. They are doing it to keep their business within the EU. It could almost just be a postal address or a small room. It will probably employ a handful admin staff - they are not going to close down their Brighton office or move the jobs from there or indeed their Burgess Hill office either.

Not in the short-term no, but its probably easy for them to move their legal HQ overnight. To move more of the logistical and infrastructure aspects takes more planning and more time. I can imagine more of their investment will be towards improving their existing business in the EU, home of the legal HQ, rather than the UK. You can also imagine they would prefer to have the actual HQ alongside their legal HQ.

Its the beginning of a slow erosion, or the start of a bright new dawn.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
As well you know, it's so they continue to trade in the 27 member countries of the EU without hinderance.

So a question for you - what effect do you think this move will have on the UK ?
I think it will have absolutely no effect in the short term, but over a decade or so Amex will gradually be able to wind down operations here when it transpires it is more cost effective to place themselves in their predominant market. i.e. it makes no sense to place themselves in the UK if they have more customers in the EU than the UK.

This will be the story all over our economy. You won't see dramatic changes anywhere, there will just be a drip drip effect as our economic performance falls further and further behind Germany and France, after being needlessly hamstrung by tariffs in order to access the single market on our doorstep.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Apart from:

20 minutes to 1 hour delays due to custom checks.
Nowhere close to the volume of HGV's that we have passing over our borders.
It closes overnight.

Where did you get your figures on delays and volume?I'm sure rough weather and docking difficulties mean that Dover port isn't constant traffic at all.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Think most people followed the debate on this when they first announced the move in July 2017.Congratulations on catching up.

So you have no idea what this means for the economy. As if anyone thought you would. Give us all a shout when you’ve dusted all the sand out of your ears love.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Where did you get your figures on delays and volume?I'm sure rough weather and docking difficulties mean that Dover port isn't constant traffic at all.

Customs clearance delays take 20 minutes to 1 hour at the Norwegian/Swedish border and the Swiss/French and at Dover for the 500 non-EU lorries a day of the 10,000 a day that pass through as per any other international border outside of a customs union with lorries passing over it. The fact the Norwegian/Swedish border closes overnight and doesn't have 10,000 lorries passing over it daily, means it isn't a template solution for the issues arising at Dover and channel ports let alone Northern Ireland - people in the border communities in Ireland wouldn't be so accommodating as the Scandinavians at the border shutting.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Internet speeds 25 years ago have nothing to do with brexit today. What ARE you waffling on about. Stop deflecting the issue.

You said that's what they were when challenged over internet shopping. You were backed up by the usual suspects. You were wrong and cannot admit it.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
You should re-read what was said. They claimed the internet was to blame. I pointed out the internet had been around for a while now and it was odd that a spate of shops going out of business after brexit could simply be due to the internet. If broadband had come in at the same time as brexit, maybe, but it hasn't.

Sigh ..... and has been explained to you, shop closures have been happening for years and many of the businesses that have closed this year are because of competition from the internet - it's what all the experts say. Throw in high rents and rates and you have the high street closing down. But don't worry, little Plooks knows better than the experts. No evidence provided from you to suggest it's Brexit either. Deflection on your behalf.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Ok, whatever you say. The internet is SOLEY to blame. The financial impact of brext has had, in no way, ANY affect at all.

See you can't even read - I didn't say the internet was SOLEY to blame did I now ?

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Ok, whatever you say. The internet is SOLEY to blame. The financial impact of brext has had, in no way, ANY affect at all.

Plooks if you say went to Currys for a new TV but then searched and found it 200 pounds cheaper on the internet what would you do?
In 99% of the cases the shop loses the sale. They cannot compete. I saw couples doing it today in M&S. There's a whole lot more of closures to come

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sigh ..... and has been explained to you, shop closures have been happening for years and many of the businesses that have closed this year are because of competition from the internet - it's what all the experts say. Throw in high rents and rates and you have the high street closing down. But don't worry, little Plooks knows better than the experts. No evidence provided from you to suggest it's Brexit either. Deflection on your behalf.

Says the person who ignored my earlier comment about Evans.

Also, how did you conclude all that stuff about AMEX? Or was it pure guess work?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
“We can’t stop it. The referendum took place. Article 50 has been triggered..." - Jeremy Corbyn

"Brexit can be stopped..." - Keir Starmer

Always amusing watching the ever incompetent opposition desperately trying to appeal to Remainers and Leavers but it would be churlish not to praise the Dear Leader and his respect for democracy ... I bet his many adoring fans on this thread are thrilled with his stance :D

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Well, point taken, but in that case they both can not be telling the truth. One, or both HAS to be deliberately lieing.

As much as it pains Me to say it,as I CANNOT stand the traitor,Jezza is not lying on this occasion,Starmer is lying.
Both a pair of *****.
On our way.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here