Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well, with the no hard border, how can it be done with us outside the customs union?

prehaps we can ask Switzerland how they manage?

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I admire your patience and engagement but you really should, if I may be so bold as to offer my opinion, only bother to engage with sensible, honest, coherent leave voters such as fairy and perhaps our good friend from the second city.

Thanks for your suggestion. It's a pity JC couldn't answer a simple question but few of us will be surprised and I am not really disappointed - my intention was to find out if one of his many opinions stood up to scrutiny and his response provided the clearest of answers.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

There are 120 different trade agreements between Switzerland and the EU and talks continuing on areas that aren't covered. The issue has been clouded a bit by the Swiss referendum on free movement and the vote to ban foreigners, which goes against the trade agreements that were signed, and negotiations are continuing on this. More details can be found here

The point is that it's not that difficult to have trade agreements with the EU - many non-EU countries have done it. What is difficult is trying to sign an agreement giving a country access to the EU, without giving anything in return.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

They are in the single market, and are in the Schengen area.

Edit. They have access to most parts of the single market. Make contributions and adopt some aspects of EU law.

Last edited:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Until we know what sort of trade agreement the EU will agree to how can there be a proper consideration of the potential solution? Never mind keep on trying the put downs.

How about looking at it the other way, Until we have a solution to how the Irish border can appear to not be there, how do we know what sort of FTA to be seeking?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
They are in the single market, and are in the Schengen area.

again, that isnt the customs union.

There are 120 different trade agreements between Switzerland and the EU and talks continuing on areas that aren't covered. The issue has been clouded a bit by the Swiss referendum on free movement and the vote to ban foreigners, which goes against the trade agreements that were signed, and negotiations are continuing on this. More details can be found here

The point is that it's not that difficult to have trade agreements with the EU - many non-EU countries have done it. What is difficult is trying to sign an agreement giving a country access to the EU, without giving anything in return.

i agree there needs some agreement and compromise, which may not be simple either. but there is a model and starting point for how some future arrangment may look, rather than the knee jerk from some that everything is an insurmountable problem. incidently there is another thing that gets over looked that we are still memebers of the EEA (subject of the link) and have not made any motion to leave the EEA it. its assumed by some that we leave automatically but its a seperate agreement so other say we could stay. it offers most the free movement of people, capital, goods and services, without the customs union, or common policy areas of the EU, a likely destination we'll arrive at.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

The Swiss don't have the complex Irish political problem to deal with. Still waiting for a solution from the Leave camp that won't upset the DUP and the Irish Republic.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

i agree there needs some agreement and compromise, which may not be simple either. but there is a model and starting point for how some future arrangment may look, rather than the knee jerk from some that everything is an insurmountable problem. incidently there is another thing that gets over looked that we are still memebers of the EEA (subject of the link) and have not made any motion to leave the EEA it. its assumed by some that we leave automatically but its a seperate agreement so other say we could stay. it offers most the free movement of people, capital, goods and services, without the customs union, or common policy areas of the EU, a likely destination we'll arrive at.

You've actually stunned me there :eek:

Do you think you may be in a bit of a minority, even within the Brexit community, by wanting to leave the EU but stay in the EEA ?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

I think the other leavers on the thread would accuse you of denying the will of the people, for that suggestion. I know I was earlier in the thread for suggesting similar. The problem is it is not Brexit enough for many leave voters.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I think the other leavers on the thread would accuse you of denying the will of the people, for that suggestion. I know I was earlier in the thread for suggesting similar. The problem is it is not Brexit enough for many leave voters.
Denying the historic will of the people is more accurate isn't it ?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
What it is about the number 350?

Instead of £350million for the NHS, European banks have slashed their exposure to the UK since it voted to leave the European Union, removing €350 billion of UK-related assets from their balance sheets in just 12 months.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business...cally-cut-exposure-to-uk-after-vote-1.3304387

That's a lot of investment

There seems to be some extremely worrying stuff in that article,if I read it right.Need somebody with banking experience,if an NPL is what I think then European banks still seem to be weighed down with bad debts,despite Draghi spending 100's of billions of Euros on buying them up with QE.I thought Italian banks were supposed to be safe now?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
What it is about the number 350?

Instead of £350million for the NHS, European banks have slashed their exposure to the UK since it voted to leave the European Union, removing €350 billion of UK-related assets from their balance sheets in just 12 months.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business...cally-cut-exposure-to-uk-after-vote-1.3304387

That's a lot of investment
If they want out that's their loss and maybe it's time we stopped importing so much foreign investment that actually takes a lot of money out of this country.There's a reason why this country struggles compared to many others and this needs addressing and brexit is a great starting point.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
If they want out that's their loss and maybe it's time we stopped importing so much foreign investment that actually takes a lot of money out of this country.There's a reason why this country struggles compared to many others and this needs addressing and brexit is a great starting point.

Why do you think “this country struggles compared to many others”? We were the firth biggest economy in the world before Brexit, I believe sixth now. Much of that based on great global trading and investment

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009

What, you mean like Nissan and things?

You're right of course - Brexit may well be a great starting point for reducing FDI, particularly by companies wanting to sell across the single market. (Although, on the other hand, when exporting to Europe is not such an issue, the fall in Sterling means that British companies are now cheaper for foreign organisations to buy.)

Like many people, I think it's a bit sad that virtually the entire British motor industry has been sold off. This was due to ineptitude in the way companies like British Leyland were run though, rather than the EU.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here