Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
HIGNFY Headline:

As JRM says it will take 50 years before anyone sees the benefit of Brexit. Millenials begin counting down the days until they can pay slightly less for haddock in their mid-70's.

:bowdown::clap::clap::rotlf::lolol::lolol::lolol::salute:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
5.My responses to that particular poster and his other personae are to a long history of personal abuse,including most recently that I live on benefits.A very deeply unpleasant individual with a chip on both shoulders.

Calm down petal it was only a bit of career advice :shrug:

Although, I'll give you, it could have been more timely :)

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Why? You bring me a great deal of amusement. I can just imagine you :flounce::mad:.

Fair enough. It's a bit odd but if you want to spend your time harassing strangers on the internet I can't say it bothers me that much. You might want to think if there is something more productive you could be doing with your time.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
Further to the issue of a no deal Brexit's impact on particular regions, I might have mis-heard but unless I'm mistaken C4 news reported that 90% of Wale's meat products are exported to the single market. Furthermore the level of support currently offered by the CAP will only be guaranteed by the government until 2022.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
I guess that given the very nature of the forum and notwithstanding the global reach of the Albion brand, there's bound to be a bit of a southern-centric bias. However. for my part I've lived in Liverpool, Wales and wonderful Stoke-on-Trent as well as many southern-softie locations. Not spent a lot of time in Brum though - but this could all change if you could use your influence to lay-on a civic reception?

I'm afraid they're all on holiday at the moment.Thought they might have stayed for the Albion game,but hey ho,that's politicos.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Not in 1985 and 2005, never seen that in Crawley, though we do have Eid and Diwali events.

As far as I can see Berlin Brandenburg Airport was not an EU project, but it did make loans for the construction, you will have to point me to the issue you are alluding to.

It might not be an EU project,but the amount of re-financing going through as non-state aid approved by the EU should raise an eyebrow,plus loads of rumours about ever-changing standards of materiel, requiring never finished rebuilds,with fees going through the EU's office on site.If there is no corruption,why is the airport still incomplete?

bba.png

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Further to the issue of a no deal Brexit's impact on particular regions, I might have mis-heard but unless I'm mistaken C4 news reported that 90% of Wale's meat products are exported to the single market. Furthermore the level of support currently offered by the CAP will only be guaranteed by the government until 2022.

Much more interesting was the German Foreign Minister talking of bi-lateral trade deals with us post Brexit.He obviously thinks 'No Deal'.

larus

Interesting view point in a telegraph article

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/07/23/remainersmay-terrify-eu-rigidity-allowing-us-finally-have-good/

At last Remainers are getting with the programme! It took some time. More optimistic types (guilty!) predicted before June 23, 2016, that if there were a Leave vote, the whole country, including those disappointed by the result, would unite behind the country’s democratic decision and help make the best of it. That is, after all, what Britain’s long history of democratic principles would guarantee.

But such optimism turned out to be misplaced. Democracy was only important when the people made the correct decision – part of the small print of which I had previously been unaware. When former Prime Minister John Major told Andrew Marr in December 2015: “If we come out, we are out. That’s it. It’s not politically credible to go back and say we’ve reconsidered, let’s have another referendum,” it was on the strict, though softly-spoken, understanding that his advice should only be followed in the event of a Remain victory. We know this because the same Sir John told Robert Peston last week: “Is there a case for a second referendum? Undoubtedly there is.”

Nevertheless, Sir John is playing his part in strengthening the hand of the new Brexit Secretary, Dominic Raab, by spreading fear and panic over the prospect of Britain departing the EU next March without any kind of negotiated deal or transition period agreed.

Allow me to explain…

In the long months leading up to the unveiling of Theresa May’s so-called Chequers Plan earlier this month, all talk of a “hard Brexit” had ceased to be taken seriously. While certain fringe figures on the Conservative Party’s Right wing still talked dreamily of reverting to World Trade Organisation rules and of how the EU had as much to lose from a no-deal deal as the UK had, ministers were (accurately) perceived to have rejected Mrs May’s early pronouncement that no deal was preferable to a bad one.

When the Prime Minister finally unveiled her negotiating position, including long-term acceptance of the EU “rule book” for export goods, and the possible negative consequences for the prospects of our ability to negotiate free trade deals with third countries in future, we could see just how far along the road from the “no deal is better than a bad deal” rhetoric we had come.

The resignations of David Davis and Boris Johnson did not spell the imminent collapse of the government, but, alongside a survey that suggested only minority support among the Tory Party’s grassroots for the plan, they concentrated everyone’s minds on the next crucial developments. For there are few who don’t expect Michel Barnier and Guy Verhofstadt barely to glance at Mrs May’s paper before reaching for the rubber stamp in the shape of the word “Non!”

And then what? That’s the problem with making every concession you’re prepared to make at the very start of negotiations – if even they are rejected as too little, where do you go? Suddenly the prospect of crashing out of the EU without a deal (and without paying our £39 billion divorce fee) seems much likelier than before Chequers.

Before this month, no one took any minister seriously when they warned of the consequences of a no-deal Brexit. Now, ministers don’t even have to open their mouths – the Remainers are all over the media doing their job for them.

The real fear is that if we exit the EU with no negotiated deal, we will become like every other non-EU country – short of food and medicines, cut off from the rest of the planet (the EU) because our planes would be grounded. And just like every other country outside the EU, there would be deaths, thousands of them, because of civil disorder and unprecedented violence.

The key thing is this: even if most of us recognise that such rhetoric is not based on reality, those who are saying it do actually believe it. And therein lies its usefulness. Just as the nuclear deterrent is pointless unless our global enemies believe the government would actually press the big red button if it had to, so with a no-deal Brexit. The EU27 are paying close attention to the debate in the UK and are taking careful note of the fear in the eyes of Remainers who, in between excavating their basements and stockpiling Pot Noodles, are telling any media outlet that will listen that the end is almost certainly nigh. They believe a no-deal is a real possibility; the EU27 may also consequently be persuaded of the same likelihood.

Who knows? Instead of the EU’s negotiators sitting David Walliams-like in front of a database of the EU’s rules and regulations and responding to Britain’s proposals with the Gallic equivalent of “Computer says no”, they might actually start to display the degree of flexibility and reasonableness that are expected of mature, sensible organisations.

That being the case, our Remainer friends, once they’ve calmed down a bit by breathing into a paper bag for a few minutes, can be acknowledged for having played their part. Their own genuine convictions about the Brexit Armageddon may be exactly what we need to avoid it happening in the first place.

——————————

The next couple of months will be interesting as we’ll know for certain whether or not the EU are happy for a No Deal outcome. If there’s no movement from them, it appears that’s the likely outcome.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Sotty.Should have added this to my last post.

maas.png

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Thanks for posting that [MENTION=240]larus[/MENTION].

It's an interesting article on a number of levels, not least because the journalist who wrote it is an avowed Blairite. I certainly identify with his opening paragraph, as while I voted to remain, I'm also of the opinion that we should act in that most British of ways and 'make the best of it'. An incompetent PM, combined with an intransigent EU, is proving an obstacle to success, alas.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
As much as I hate putting people on ignore I’ve had to put him on today. He rarely posts anything relevant. He’s , and excuse my French, a vicious little bitch.
I’ll review his ignore status next month. I am not holding out much hope for his re-instatement.

:lolol: Overwhelmed by your own self importance much?
I reckon his giveafvckometer is at an all time low

Now watch how the mentioning of ignore gets them wound up. They cannot stand being ignored. It enrages them.

I won’t lie though, it’s been considerable fun getting them so upset today. This thread really has turned into a wang factory. I ****ing love it.

Going by the posts the only person upset today was you as you couldn’t dig your own hole fast enough. :dunce:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here