Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Short and sweet for May in Brussels then.

Better fly back quick, say 'Brexit in our time' and get handing out some more knighthoods to backbench MP's/giving the DUPAID magic money tree a shake to get her red,white and blue withdrawal agreement through parliament.

[tweet]1066625821161517056[/tweet]

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Although on this occassion Meg hasn't really got it correct ( nor has the Guardian ). Firstly Spain can't 'veto' the withdrawl agreement alone as it's going to be passed on qualified majority voting. Secondly, according to the BBC, the letter from the UK government to the Spanish didn't offer anything that wasn't already agreed, it just re-worded it. Spain then withdrew their objection. Commetators suggest the original objection was only raised to assist with local Spanish elections which have now concluded.

Meg might need to hang up her ball !

And to use a quote that may have been used previously about UK government 'they would say that, wouldn't they' :wink:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Although on this occassion Meg hasn't really got it correct ( nor has the Guardian ). Firstly Spain can't 'veto' the withdrawl agreement alone as it's going to be passed on qualified majority voting. Secondly, according to the BBC, the letter from the UK government to the Spanish didn't offer anything that wasn't already agreed, it just re-worded it. Spain then withdrew their objection. Commetators suggest the original objection was only raised to assist with local Spanish elections which have now concluded.

Meg might need to hang up her ball !

I think you're both right. My understanding is that any trade deal between the UK and EU will have to be signed off unanimously, and that Madrid will therefore have a veto in respect of the Gibraltar small print.

You are therefore correct in saying that May hasn't made a specific concession to Spain this weekend. The concession had already been made, to Spain and indeed to all 27 EU nations.

Capitulation and can-kicking is built into this whole agreement. It is a recipe for turmoil and division for years to come.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Arlene saying her deal isn't getting through parliament so really no point to today and the DUP won't support her going forward

The Tories are now learning if you sleep with dogs you catch flees

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What have the Tories done to this country?

Amongst many things they have driven huge wedges between huge sections of society: rich poor, British non-British, Remain Leave. They have fueled anger and turned the nation against itself. And to think Cameron set the referendum to address the European question once and for all; how ****ing misjudged was that? The referendum will rumble on for generations costing the economy billions and I bet that even though they are out Leavers will spend an unhealthy amount of their time sniping at the EU.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Amongst many things they have driven huge wedges between huge sections of society: rich poor, British non-British, Remain Leave. They have fueled anger and turned the nation against itself. And to think Cameron set the referendum to address the European question once and for all; how ****ing misjudged was that? The referendum will rumble on for generations costing the economy billions and I bet that even though they are out Leavers will spend an unhealthy amount of their time sniping at the EU.

The only thing needs happening now is Cameron banged up for misconduct in public office

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Cameron had no choice I understand. He had to call the referendum because it was part of a 'deal' he struct with eurosceptic Conservative MPs to secure their votes to get him elected as leader of the party.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
This. ****'s kept his head down, in shame, ever since he needlessly foisted this vote onto us.

No matter what happens next people aren't happy, to be fair I don't think he realised how toxic it would become or how it would be hijacked by dark money and outside influences but it needs to be an inquiry to find out the truth and to imprison those responsible

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
No matter what happens next people aren't happy, to be fair I don't think he realised how toxic it would become or how it would be hijacked by dark money and outside influences but it needs to be an inquiry to find out the truth and to imprison those responsible

Pretty sure DC only saw offering a referendum as a shoo-in for sorting out some petty squabble between Tories and UKIP. And having paved the way for the referendum, most people just only vaguely followed the arguments and voted according to their general outlook.Then the Tories further compounded the problem by calling a needless election to try and add to their numerical domination of Labour. That went so well that they're now forced to go cap in hand to the neanderthals of the DUP. Ant next comes the inevitable defeat in parliament that leads to us crashing out of the EU without a deal. Mediocre party unfit to govern. Not that the opposition exactly inspires confidence.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

This.

The whole vote and subsequent squabbling has split the country in a way I have never known before. I was listening to 5Live on Thursday morning and they had a phone in on the latest Brexit negotiations and implications, some chap came on and said along the lines of

" Our Brexit has been betrayed by MP's who have seeked to water down the terms of our exit " I thought he sounded quite calm yet a bit cheesed off.....he went on to elaborate " I can see this country erupting in to Civil War within the next 2-3 years if we don't get a proper Brexit " …. mnn "Civil War ? " bells started ringing...… next he said " When this happens we should take the MP's who voted against a clean break and diluted our exit outside and shoot them as the traitors they are, after all, that's what you do in wartime "

A nutter? a voice in the wilderness ? or are there genuinely people who feel this way ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
This.

The whole vote and subsequent squabbling has split the country in a way I have never known before. I was listening to 5Live on Thursday morning and they had a phone in on the latest Brexit negotiations and implications, some chap came on and said along the lines of

" Our Brexit has been betrayed by MP's who have seeked to water down the terms of our exit " I thought he sounded quite calm yet a bit cheesed off.....he went on to elaborate " I can see this country erupting in to Civil War within the next 2-3 years if we don't get a proper Brexit " …. mnn "Civil War ? " bells started ringing...… next he said " When this happens we should take the MP's who voted against a clean break and diluted our exit outside and shoot them as the traitors they are, after all, that's what you do in wartime "

A nutter? a voice in the wilderness ? or are there genuinely people who feel this way ?
Sadly his mind has evidently been bent by the websites he obviously reads and he has been a victim of the Kremlin's Information Warfare attacks. He is just a victim. Sad really.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
This. ****'s kept his head down, in shame, ever since he needlessly foisted this vote onto us.

A “leader” so out of his depth, he will go down in history as a chancer who f***ed up. What he has done is unacceptable, torn the country appart. The lies and deceit, maybe on both sides, now needs addressing. We have the deal, everyone is better informed, let’s vote on it, it’s would be Democracy at its best

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This.

People do clearly feel this way though, remember the disgusting abuse Gina Miller received?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
She's lost it

There seems to be a section people in the past few weeks that feel sorry for May

I'm not one of them. From the moment she became PM she failed to unite the nation, calling those on the remain side "losers" and casting them aside. Then there was her ridiculous quested backed by Paul Dacre to take the Brexit process away from parliament, then a disaster election that the Tories party lost,.

From that loss she should have gone cross party to find a Brexit solution that would bring a divided country together, instead she ignored it and pressed being pushed around by the ERG / Tory right. Add to that stupid gimicks with blue passports, festivals of Britain and coins and almost bragging about ending FOM (she seems to forget that is actually a huge loss of rights for Britons)

Casting NI aside and now screwing Gib just threatens the first existence of our once "United Kingdom"

What have the Tories done to this country?

Agree with your disdain for May but calling for unity is a bit rich coming from someone who has spent over two years posting remoaner drivel/cliches. Trying to accommodate two sides with diametrically opposing views (Leave or Stay) has partly lead us to where we are today. Not that I am excusing the piss poor way the Government has handled the negotiations but It's also the case that most of the remainers on here were calling for a second prize of the softest of soft brexit's, said no deal couldn't be an option and voted to limit/weaken the governments hand at the last GE (mission accomplished).

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
This.

seeing as one MP has already been murdered due to Brexit who can say how many more idiots are out there ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
May has put her head in the sand on this one, but now looks like the whole Aaron Banks investigation is now being fast tracked

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...igation-when-december-christmas-a8649001.html

High court could declare vote void by Christmas.

No further comment, open investigation by the NCA..

article and the general legal case seems to overlook the legal authority for invoking article 50 comes from an parliamentry vote, not the referendum that was only advisory (remember, the basis for the Millar case). also not clear if the court has power to declare the referendum void, if this is actually a option available in the legislation.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Cameron had no choice I understand. He had to call the referendum because it was part of a 'deal' he struct with eurosceptic Conservative MPs to secure their votes to get him elected as leader of the party.
Cameron isn't the problem and if anyone is to blame it's the whining remainers and useless politicians.
We had a vote and nobody was moaning way before the vote and up to the vote....everything started once all these idiots from the remain side couldn't accept the decision !!
Now if we had a strong leader from the start and exited earlier we would have been fine...sadly it dragged on and on and in my opinion it's a deliberate ploy to derail brexit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here