Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Of the image you posted, indicating EUROPEAN countries the UN has been involved with, none were in the EUROPEAN UNION (EU) at the time; ergo (that's latin) the UN was not mediating between EU members.

With regards to Cyprus you have a slight point, although I would still say fatally and completely flawed, as usual. The UN have been involved in Cyprus since 1964, before the EU in its current guise existed (Europe existed at this time just FYI). In addition Cyprus is one member of the EU so the UN has not been mediating between EU members, rather than working within one member state only. Finally the UN is mediating between the Greek side and the Turkish side. Greece is in the EU, Turkey isn't, ergo (that's Latin in case you forgot) the UN has not been mediating between EU members even on that basis, rather a EU member and a non EU member.

Still doesn't alter the fact of the UN peacekeeping operations in Europe being needed as the EU weren't keeping the peace,as Europhiles consistently state is the case.Keeping the peace in Europe for 70 years as that Malteser running the EU said.And Turkey were an aspirant until they started doing things the non-EU way.I really don't get why you are trying to say Cyprus isn't in Europe,as the EU blur these definitions all the time to suit themselves.Why aren't the EU keeping the peace in Cyprus?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The United Nations blue berets are a Peacekeeping force. They don't mediate.

They actually spend quite a large amount of their time mediating.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
2016 - £17bn in v £9bn out.

How much will Brexit cost, or do you believe we will make on the deal?

2016 - £18.9 bn Gross contribution ... rebate £5.0Bn leaving £13.9Bn net contribution according to the ONS.

So I ask again how do our rebates mostly pick up the tab?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
May is right about one thing, I do want this settled. I want her out asap. Brexit aside she is a terrible, mean PM who deserves no pity or applause for having a hard time of it recently.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
2016 - £17bn in v £9bn out. How much will Brexit cost, or do you believe we will make on the deal?

A lot more than our current contribution, really a drop in the ocean. Its like doing a weekly family food shop and getting stressed about 50p for the car park

Capture.JPG

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
They actually spend quite a large amount of their time mediating.

Not when my half brother was out in Cyprus, they didn't.

Are you referring to the delegates of the UN or the blue beret force, who were taken from forces all over the world?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That isn't a 'rebate', you said rebates would mostly pick up the tab ... which is obviously false.
I apologise for saying rebate instead of money coming back or some other such saying.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I am not disagreeing with you, just surprised to read this. I thought that those here will be given the right to stay, which will be reciprocated in other countries for Brits abroad. Where in all the agreements does it say that the 3 million can thus be deported if it suits us.

you dont think the EU would put this in the withdrawal agreement? besides its already been stated by our govenrment there would be unilateral rights for existing EU citizens resident here, theres a process in place to register, the only issue is whether that process will be administered well in 100% cases.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Still doesn't alter the fact of the UN peacekeeping operations in Europe being needed as the EU weren't keeping the peace,as Europhiles consistently state is the case.Keeping the peace in Europe for 70 years as that Malteser running the EU said.And Turkey were an aspirant until they started doing things the non-EU way.I really don't get why you are trying to say Cyprus isn't in Europe,as the EU blur these definitions all the time to suit themselves.Why aren't the EU keeping the peace in Cyprus?

Well it does because its an issue that predates the EU. The argument is that the EU's existence acts to minimise the risk of conflict occurring in the first place, not make historic conflict disappear (although I would argue it does to an extent).

Yes NATO and the UN have important roles, arguably more so, but that doesn't negate the effect the EU has, which is going to be different than either of the other two

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
You are right [MENTION=14365]Thunder Bolt[/MENTION] is just making stuff up #projectfear

You'd like to think so. I say wait and see.

Those people who have been here for a long time, had no vote, and neither did the Brits abroad who had been away for 15 years despite the fact they were still British.
I wonder why that was?

The whole exercise is to prevent Freedom of Movement, and to stop the EU bringing in laws against tax avoidance for the ultra rich.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I watched the brexit questions in the commons right through earlier.
If it wasn't so very serious it would have been funny.
May getting it from all sides and mostly she only had 3 answers from a written down list that she gave back in reply time and time again.
Even if someone proved her wrong on the 'deal' she still gave the same answer.
Eventually she gave up and just kept saying ' I refer you to my previous answers'.
It was a farce, May mostly on her own protecting her deal when nearly everyone else in the chamber knew she was hopelessly wrong.
Not a chance of getting this through.
I cannot believe that even the most ardent leaver cannot see what a complete shambles this has become.
For the sake of the future of this country and for the kids future, somehow we have got to get out of this, we are going to send this country down the drain if we don't.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
What is peoples opinion of what Leave means.

The main issues for me are

The EU have no say on our laws. (other than a trade laws where our goods have to comply and labelled with EU standards, I can live with that)
We pay nothing to the EU for any type of membership.
We are free to trade with anyone anywhere else in the world.
EU citizens have no free right to access the UK. (Happy for existing EU nationals to remain if they seek British citzenship, but no more family member or friends to arrive, as well as EU citizens who warrant working visas)
We have full access and rights to our waters, and no EU access to our waters without separate agreements/fees.

I may have missed something but I think tick all those boxes, and I consider us out.

We are free to trade with anyone in the world. In fact beorthelm was telling me it was a straw man position to suggest that anyone thought we couldn't.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
A malfunctioning Maybot....

[tweet]1065621483853107201[/tweet]

Well if Boris can carry on saying we will save £350 million a week and Davis can say we can have a no deal transition period, why can't she drop some bullshit too?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here