Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Sorry, I thought you were winding me up unaware of my frequently stated pov.

No, staying in the internal EU market and customs union, under ECJ jurisdiction/freedom of movement/regulatory subservience in no way recognises the biggest democratic decision in Uk history the central theme being 'taking back control'.

Is that taking back control of the same ECJ that overturned Ruling relating to Britain such as the Jet2 ruling – which thanks to the ECJ airlines are now liable for compensation claims for flights delayed by technical problems or the case against Google which enshrined the right to be forgotten on the internet or was the case regarding sick leave so that anybody who falls sick during annual leave has the right to additional days off.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Is that taking back control of the same ECJ that overturned Ruling relating to Britain such as the Jet2 ruling – which thanks to the ECJ airlines are now liable for compensation claims for flights delayed by technical problems or the case against Google which enshrined the right to be forgotten on the internet or was the case regarding sick leave so that anybody who falls sick during annual leave has the right to additional days off.

It's the 'taking back of control' that insists on prioritising the UK courts/UK law and UK democratic accountability. You like that Jet2 decision what do you do if you don't like an ECJ ruling? (answer = tough sh*t/it doesn't matter)

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
It's the 'taking back of control' that insists on prioritising the UK courts/UK law and UK democratic accountability. You like that Jet2 decision what do you do if you don't like an ECJ ruling? (answer = tough sh*t/it doesn't matter)

The judiciary will always act independently whether they are old Etonians presiding over the Royal Courts of Justice, good ole boys in the Supreme Court or ECJ appointees - so I'm not sure anyone can 'do' anything against a ruling which they do not like. As ever, I stand to be corrected...................

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

No, staying in the internal EU market and customs union, under ECJ jurisdiction/freedom of movement/regulatory subservience in no way recognises the biggest democratic decision in Uk history the central theme being 'taking back control'.

By "Biggest democratic decision", you of course mean "most profound implication". Because it was won on the most flimsy grounds, tightest of margins and where some of the most staunch remainers were not allowed to vote.

And of course, re-running that referendum now would mean a remain landslide which is why you're all shitting yourselves that it might happen. Of course none of it would matter if was reversable, like a general election, but it isn't. So we remainers apparently now have to accept this shocking state of affairs, where a minority of people bleat about the will of the people without wanting that properly tested when the exit deal is finalized.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
The judiciary will always act independently whether they are old Etonians presiding over the Royal Courts of Justice, good ole boys in the Supreme Court or ECJ appointees - so I'm not sure anyone can 'do' anything against a ruling which they do not like. As ever, I stand to be corrected...................

The UK government/parliament (who we have a direct democratic influence over) redefine/adjust/modify UK law all the time. The UK Government/ Parliament + entire electorate could be diametrically oppsed to rulings in the ECJ and have no ability to effect change ......

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
By "Biggest democratic decision", you of course mean "most profound implication". Because it was won on the most flimsy grounds, tightest of margins and where some of the most staunch remainers were not allowed to vote.

And of course, re-running that referendum now would mean a remain landslide which is why you're all shitting yourselves that it might happen. Of course none of it would matter if was reversable, like a general election, but it isn't. So we remainers apparently now have to accept this shocking state of affairs, where a minority of people bleat about the will of the people without wanting that properly tested when the exit deal

My 4yr old Granddaughter gets over her hissy fits in minutes. The Remain moan up one has lasted 2yrs with all the old repetitive scare stories churning back round on that big wheel sending you all delirious until the next boo up. It's pretty boring now.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My 4yr old Granddaughter gets over her hissy fits in minutes. The Remain moan up one has lasted 2yrs with all the old repetitive scare stories churning back round on that big wheel sending you all delirious until the next boo up. It's pretty boring now.
Yeah, it's all political correctness gone mad isn't it?

Or...

Don't read it then. I have ignored your daft gammon responses until now, feel free to do the same when all these reasoned responses you don't like begin to make your head hurt.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

And of course, re-running that referendum now would mean a remain landslide which is why you're all shitting yourselves that it might happen. Of course, none of it would matter if was reversible, like a general election, but it isn't. So we remainers apparently now have to accept this shocking state of affairs, where a minority of people bleat about the will of the people without wanting that properly tested when the exit deal is finalized.

By 'biggest democratic decision' I mean 17.4 million of your fellow citizens voting for something you didn't agree with.

Of course you have no idea how another referendum would turn out but your breathtaking arrogance means you think you will win this time as you no doubt thought you would win the last one.

Accepting the democratic will of the majority/ pre defined winning line as in all other UK General Elections and referendums is a hard concept for arrogant undemocratic loons to accept but tough sh*t.

On the plus side your contributions have made this dreadful thread a Clampy/Nibble free zone (for the time being) so I am forever in your debt .. :wink:

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
By 'biggest democratic decision' I mean 17.4 million of your fellow citizens voting for something you didn't agree with.

Of course you have no idea how another referendum would turn out but your breathtaking arrogance means you think you will win this time as you no doubt thought you would win the last one.

Accepting the democratic will of the majority/ pre defined winning line as in all other UK General Elections and referendums is a hard concept for arrogant undemocratic loons to accept but tough sh*t.

On the plus side your contributions have made this dreadful thread a Clampy/Nibble free zone (for the time being) so I am forever in your debt .. :wink:
I do enjoy your posts despite not agreeing with you. And we can all agree that a nipple-clamp-free thread is a good thread, so I'm glad to hear you approve.

I'm not anti democratic, I just fundamentally disapprove with the basis on which this referendum was conducted. You find me any other example of a civilised country that will allow such fundamental decisions to be made with such tiny margins. The whole thing was a shambles from start to finish. At the very least the British people deserve a say on the final deal. Nobody voted to get poorer, and the negotiations are being conducted by people for whom money is no object.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Yeah, it's all political correctness gone mad isn't it?

Or...

Don't read it then. I have ignored your daft gammon responses until now, feel free to do the same when all these reasoned responses you don't like begin to make your head hurt.

There not reasoned in most cases though. Just regurgitating old stories hoping something sticks if enough people say it. It just looks like most rejoice in talking down anything positive finding the most obscure negative available. The votes gone look forwards.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There not reasoned in most cases though. Just regurgitating old stories hoping something sticks if enough people say it. It just looks like most rejoice in talking down anything positive finding the most obscure negative available. The votes gone look forwards.
I am looking forward. I'm looking to have this nonsense reversed - democratically.

I wonder how you'll behave if that happens?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I do enjoy your posts despite not agreeing with you. And we can all agree that a nipple-clamp-free thread is a good thread, so I'm glad to hear you approve.

I'm not anti democratic, I just fundamentally disapprove with the basis on which this referendum was conducted. You find me any other example of a civilised country that will allow such fundamental decisions to be made with such tiny margins. The whole thing was a shambles from start to finish. At the very least the British people deserve a say on the final deal. Nobody voted to get poorer, and the negotiations are being conducted by people for whom money is no object.

I hear you but if the result had been 52 48 remain we would be locked in forever and calls for a rerun (mainly by Farage/UKIP) because of disinformation/lies would be dismisssed as sore loser/undemocratic nonsense.

With respect I believe you are still looking at the current situation entirely from a remainer perspective I detect no significant shift of views amongst leave voters. When we leave with a deal that perhaps doesn't satisfy a majority the next GE will be a legitimate avenue to express a view. Which could mean a harder Brexit .... softer or even rejoin. :shrug:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

That's your view, of course. Someone could argue that leaving the EU but staying in the single market and/or customs union, recognising the ECJ and supporting freedom of movement does accord with the result of the referendum. No-one was asked these things.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Remainers keep on about the narrow margin of the Leave victory.Only percentages make this look close.One million,two hundred and sixty nine thousand,five hundred and one people more people voted for Leave than Remain,that is why Leave won.I dare say Corbyn would love 1,269,501 more voters,but neither he nor any Labour politician will get them because nobody knows what they stand for.What a shower they are.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
That's your view, of course. Someone could argue that leaving the EU but staying in the single market and/or customs union, recognising the ECJ and supporting freedom of movement does accord with the result of the referendum. No-one was asked these things.

They could but considering the Leave campaign and the remain campaign said repeatedly a leave vote meant leaving single/internal market combined with the central leave campaign theme of 'taking back control' they would be wrong. It's like Remain winnning but people arguing a rabidly anti EU UKIP agenda was what the remainers voted for ...

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

no different where laws are made you and I will have little or no influence the truth is the more levels of jurisdiction the more chance of reaching fair decisions

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I'm concerned I might not get health insurance to see friends in France when my EHIC doesn't work for health care, and travel insurance becomes more important.
I'm worried for my Dutch friend married to a fireman in Brighton, their children. I can't trust this government not to arrest her & throw her out, despite living here for years & paying tax.
Think it can't happen? So did the Windrush kids.

Still you keep shouting and telling the foreigners to get out of your country.

Drama queen ???
regards
DR

Am I a drama queen or have I been proved to be right? This is someone who has held public office, not just a wife and Mum.

http://www.ipswichstar.co.uk/news/i...ial_Icon&utm_campaign=in_article_social_icons

Former Ipswich mayor Inga Lockington has had her application for British citizenship turned down by the Home Office – because officials will not accept that she is a UK resident!

The news has caused disbelief in the town – and local MP Sandy Martin is hoping to raise it as an emergency matter at Prime Minister’s Question Time today.

Mrs Lockington, who has been a Liberal Democrat councillor for 19 years and was mayor of her adopted town ten years ago, is Danish. She married Dr Tim Lockington in 1979 and has lived in this country ever since.

She had not applied for UK citizenship until now because as an EU citizen she had the right to live here – and until two years ago Denmark had laws which said she would lose the citizenship of her homeland if she became a naturalised Briton.

The Brexit vote, and a change to Danish law, persuaded her to apply for UK citizenship and she spent £1,282 making the application. After rejecting her application, the Home Office refunded £80 because she will not be required to attend a citizenship ceremony.

The Home Office letter says: “As you have not provided a document certifying permanent residence or a permanent residence card issued by the Home Office, we cannot be satisfied that you were permanently resident in the United Kingdom no the date of your application for naturalisation and it has been refused.”

Mrs Lockington said there was no need for EU citizens to have a permanent residence card.

Inga Lockington has lived in Britain since her marriage to Tim in December 1979 – this are her key dates.

December 1979: Marries Dr Tim Lockington and returns with him to live in London. Danish passport stamped at Harwich saying: “Given leave to enter the United Kingdom for an indefinite period.”

Mid-1990s: Moves with family to Ipswich, law allows EU citizens to go on to electoral rolls and vote in Local elections. Mrs Lockington goes on electoral roll.

1999: Elected LibDem councillor on Ipswich Council for St Margarets. She has held the seat ever since.

2001: Elected to Suffolk County Council. She has held the seat ever since.

2007: Elected Mayor of Ipswich for the year – after serving on the borough’s executive committee.

2016: Brexit vote.

2017: Mrs Lockington decides to apply for UK citizenship.

2018: Citizenship application rejected.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here