Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Tricky, I wonder how all those impoverished countries outside the EU survive.......

I'm not saying they don't survive. I'm saying you are railing against capitalists but how do you expect us to do business if we don't operate within a capitalist frame-work, like the rest of the world regardless of EU membership?

Are you advocating direct trade? As in we'll ship you a hundred weight of potatoes in return for a hundred weight of kiwi fruit? You're not making any sense.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
That’s a shame, but then under our capitalist system businesses have gone bust because of the EU and not because of the EU.......no one cried for the hundreds of thousands lost jobs in industries decimated by quotas and CAP (fishing and sugar spring to mind) and equally we are seeing the losses of tens of thousands of retail jobs due to the rise of online shopping.

It was ever thus, adapt or die.

So, someones just posted about losing their business. Something they have probably built up and worked extremely hard over a number of years to establish. Something they will no doubt feel extremely proud of. And your response is "adapt or die"?

Regardless of the whataboutery you have used to tried to justify this comment, that's a really shitty thing to do to another human being.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Well, let’s be clear, I don’t trust politicians, they have an agenda.

It’s why we are in the EU in the first place, Ted Heath and Pompidou came to an agreement back in the early 70s about how to create the environment that would lead to the UK’s accession to the EEC.

Ted Heath never told the public or his own pro EEC fellow travellers in the Tory Party that (say) the single currency was part of the journey for members of the EEC. This duplicity was never widely known although the Labour Party when it had a spine opposed membership for many of the reasons that have since come to pass, not least the British working class being thrown to the dogs on the alter of global capitalism.

So, sure there are experts in many different aspects of international politics and trade, I’m sure back in the 70s they said everything would be great and no one would lose their jobs (in say the U.K. fishing industry). But they did, so their predictions we’re wrong.

Healthy cynicism you see........that’s what you learn after a few decades in understanding how U.K. and global politics work in practice.

So you didn't just ignore them, you actually believe that you know better than those particular experts, attribute stupid quotes to them, and then claim that those quotes are wrong :facepalm:

Well now that you've successfully got us to this point which do you believe is best, Chequers - - or 'no deal'?

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
So CF's standpoint appears to be " I know best as I've been around a bit and am now a cynic". Doesn't inspire confidence.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
So, someones just posted about losing their business. Something they have probably built up and worked extremely hard over a number of years to establish. Something they will no doubt feel extremely proud of. And your response is "adapt or die"?

Regardless of the whataboutery you have used to tried to justify this comment, that's a really shitty thing to do to another human being.

You’re absolutely right RT, I should have offered my earnest condolences, printed some t-hurts and offered to hold a vigil.

There, that makes so much difference doesn’t it, because evidently everything can be sold by empathy.

Out of interest, if you could give one bit of generic advice to the CEOs of the following......

Blockbuster, Maplins, Debenhams, Nokia, Blackberry, HMV, Toys R Us, Kodak, Jessops, Comet, Barretts, Tie Rack, MFI, Iomega, Compaq, Geocities what would it be?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
You’re absolutely right RT, I should have offered my earnest condolences, printed some t-hurts and offered to hold a vigil.

There, that makes so much difference doesn’t it, because evidently everything can be sold by empathy.

Out of interest, if you could give one bit of generic advice to the CEOs of the following......

Blockbuster, Maplins, Debenhams, Nokia, Blackberry, HMV, Toys R Us, Kodak, Jessops, Comet, Barretts, Tie Rack, MFI, Iomega, Compaq, Geocities what would it be?

You are a rather nasty individual.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

And there is the voice of someone who has never tried to start a business or, I'd hazard a guess, never been responsible for anything or anyone.

Of course, I could be wrong and maybe I'm just being overpowered by the real reasons behind his posts - the bitterness of failure :shrug:

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
And there is the voice of someone who has never tried to start a business or, I'd hazard a guess, never been responsible for anything or anyone.

Of course, I could be wrong and maybe I'm just being overpowered by the real reasons behind his posts - the bitterness of failure :shrug:

Play the ball, not the man.........like your predictions of post Brexit apocalypse your sentiments in this post are just conjecture.

0/10.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα

You, of course, don't. You just needn't be such a **** about it :thumbsup:

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
That’s a shame, but then under our capitalist system businesses have gone bust because of the EU and not because of the EU.......no one cried for the hundreds of thousands lost jobs in industries decimated by quotas and CAP (fishing and sugar spring to mind) and equally we are seeing the losses of tens of thousands of retail jobs due to the rise of online shopping.

It was ever thus, adapt or die.

Christ what planet are you on...

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Regarding Debenhams don't f*** the pension fund, don't f*** the staff or racially abuse staff may have been useful advice.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Never claimed to be a victim, quite happy to give as good as I get on here .. for victim status see the Impster who swoons into a feint every time anyone says boo to him. Single virtue of Brexit? I would say Crippling your dream of seeing us subsumed into a federalist superstate (without any specific democratic mandate) is quite a plus.

I suppose in your long life someone must have swooned before you but it sure as heck wasn't me - although to be fair I haven't got a clue what 'swoons into a feint' actually means. Just as you don't seem to know what "ignore" means.

PS You're right in saying I once called someone a liar. I didn't enjoy doing so but it was a provable fact and the individual concerned just kept repeating it.

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Are these health professionals experts in healthcare or politics?

I don’t doubt they are experts in healthcare, but they are not politicians.

Healthcare experts giving their opinions on politics are no different from the likes of Bono or Chris Martin espousing their political prejudice under the cloak of objectivity.

Don’t get me wrong I would completely accept Bono’s superiority on matters such as singing, otherwise the value of his views on global politics are no different than mine, so like these Doctors he can f@cking do one.

They may not be politicians but I’m sure they understand the impact of political policies that directly effect their field of expertise far more than you or I.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So that would mean going with what we agreed on 9th December last year in order to sign off Phase 1. This last year's negotiations have gone well then :rolleyes:

Yeah this year was supposed to be all about trade negotiations and we’ve got no where.

The governments handling is a disgrace. A Zombie parliament, a zombie Brexit

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

He is a salaried employee and has never started his own business. His job is pretty dull as well, and it’s somewhere where he doesn’t really want to live, these are the reasons behind his bitterness and meanspiritedness.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
All these small businesses being sacrificed for the greater good. All the businesses that actually make up the greater good.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton

But do you not think it's a bit of silly thing to do to blame a business failure on us leaving the EU without knowing why it failed? The comment "As for UK customers most want to screw us down on price and then when they blow up an engine throw their lawyers at u" would suggest they are not competitive pricing wise, and their work is not of a high standard if they have has suggested a lot of customers throwing lawyers at them! Because you charge a low price, doesn't mean you should do a sub-stanard job as would be reasonable to believe if that statement is true.

It doesn't further the argument. Business fail all the time. I run a business and see a few long term players in the same game, and others that come and go every year. Poorly run businesses will always fold, regardless of EU membership. I see it all the time. Newplayers on the market, try and grab a large share. Basically run before they can walk. And they fold. I sell a lot into Europe, and find that side of my business going from strength to strength. Why, because I adapted. I offer a great service and get repeat and new custom. I don't see it being any different when we leave the EU. I sell a lot to America, Canada, Australia, Japan etc and they can still buy from me, as can and ill Europe after March. As far as I am aware Europe will still there. Europeans will still live their. We might be divorcing them, but we are not being made to leave our country. We can still trade and buy and sell from them, it just won't be as easy to begin with.

We don't know why his business failed. Maybe it was poorly run. Maybe its in a dying market. Who really knows. But I am sure if it was a business offering a great service and competitive prices, if the Europeans stopped using it purely on the fact its British, then surely in that case we are better out of Europe that in it aren't we?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here