Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Even when it ends up with us paying much more after being held to ransom in the process for being naughty in trying to leave

Honestly mate, there is no sanction for cancelling A50 and remaining, no loss of status, everything just the same as it was.
If we leave and later decide to rejoin, then it is unlikely we will get an as good membership arrangement again.

The EU possibly could be a bit softer on us, but after being told that they need us more than we need them and no deal is better than a bad deal, you can't really blame them for just looking out for their interests.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
Ah the old "you Tories" again, your favourite brand of insult to anyone who is blatantly not a Tory but doesn't agree with you.

You're talking bollocks of course. Corbyn's Labour couldn't even get in when the shambles that is the Tory party called a GE last time round and didn't even bother campaigning.

You're just ignoring the facts again because YOU want Corbyn in.

Well, be fair, based on my ideological political compass if you support privatised industries that should be state industries (like the rail and utilities) then you are a Tory. When Blair removed clause 4 from Labour’s he did so to facilitate and encourage privatisation, it’s why Miliband (as Labour leader) didn’t oppose the privatisation on the Royal Mail. It is therefore entirely logical to align Tory political objectives with some Labour supporters.

These supporters will tend to be cheerleaders for the EU on exactly the same basis as their genuine Tory peers, they support unregulated labour markets, and shill for the interests of global corporatism.

You may be angry but you are not dim........and my proposition that certain pro EU enthusiasts are Tories is quite accurate and certainly not “bollocks” to quote you (apologies to the Mods for swearing I am merely representing the context of the post I am responding to.......I trust this does not merit another ban).

To some extent you are right, although would rather Corbyn faced down the Tories in his midst and then publicly explain why he has been opposed to the EU. It would educate the youth to the underlying bias of the EU to global corporatism........and Toryism.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Sorry but been out for dinner, did I miss much?

F*** me, it appears I have wasted 2.5 years on 4 courses :eek:

It seems we have exactly the same 3 options as we had 2.5 years ago (one of which won't and was never going to happen) .

I'm sure Mystic Meg will be along in a minute to prove my point. (If she can be arsed or maybe the malbec will get to her and she'll be snoring before 9)

Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Bit snowflaky isn't it? Moaning about a sticker on his wife's motor.

And I can add that the front door of the high Tory Carlton Club in Pall Mall was covered in Bollox to Brexit stickers one sunny day in October.

Proved nothing. 670,000 of us had just ambled past.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
pasta - lovely idea this having people from all over the world have visas to come and work here etc, etc as part of your global immigration policy that you'd like. A couple of practical issues though:

Outside of The EU, most of the rest of the world is made up of developing countries. I appreciate some of those countries already have visa free travel to The UK, such as Botswana and Namibia and some don't such as Pakistan and Bangladesh. There's many problems developing countries all have and share, but 2 problems in particular are poverty and corruption. Poverty the world over leads to crime and corruption just makes it more easy to do. Even in countries that are deemed to be less corrupt than others, such as Namibia and Botswana, if you were arrested for drink driving prior to Christmas for example, no matter how drunk you were, you'd just pay the arresting officer off in the form of a bribe and everyone's happy.

I find this intriguing that Batswana nationals now enjoy visa free travel to The UK now. It's a recent change. Like British nationals travelling to the US with criminal convictions, Batswana nationals are supposed to apply for a visa at The British High Commission if they have one, but there's no way they or The Border Force here would ultimately have a clue if someone did. Then again it would be similar issue with actually applying for a visa to work here - The BPS at Central Police Station in Gaborone, located at the bottom of Queens Road in Main Mall from the rather shabby, run down British High Commission building at the other end, would just issue a 'PCC' showing no criminal convictions with no problems and if there were, you'd be amazed at what doors can open for you by passing over a few extra Pula banknotes. As Botswana is deemed to be relatively corrupt free both in African and global developing country terms, I do wonder what practices go on elsewhere, such as in Pakistan and Bangladesh.

Still, global Britain post Brexit - less Polish and Belgians, more Pakistanis and Bangladeshis. :thumbsup:

Bit of a long winded way to say the country of Botswana is relatively corrupt free and there should be minimal issues receiving a Police Certificate from the Criminal Records Bureau for those that need it as a visa requirement.
But yes I agree having the need for visas to work here is a good solid idea, not sure I would use the word lovely though.
You do seem to have a recurring issue with people from Pakistan and Bangladesh though and your comparing them to people from mostly white EU countries.

You were concerned that we could not tell if someone had been here 3 months and was not working, but now you seem concerned if they are?

Nope, I said checking up on people whose intention was to live or work here long term, months after they had crossed the border anyway, when their intention is already known to stay here long term and work is not proper or adequate border control.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Wrong. This was big news just before Xmas. I’m surprised you missed it.

https://www.politico.eu/article/eu-top-judge-uk-can-unilaterally-withdraw-article-50/

1ltuwg.jpg

03/01/19
It’s a new year. I’m done with this thread. I’m going to concentrate my energies on music, food and beer.

:lolol: Is this a new Herr T u-turn record?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
The NHS and the UK food market is worth tens of billions to the US. It's certainly in their interest that we start trade negotiations with them in a severely weakened position. We will be lambs to the slaughter. Mark my words, this will happen.

Make your mind up. One minute you state Brexit wont happen and that we will remain in the EU and the next Brexit will happen and when we are out we will commence trade negotiations with the US like lambs to the slaughter……with an added “ mark my words” and “this will happen”
Can you not resolve your own internal confusion first before posting.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Bit of a long winded way to say the country of Botswana is relatively corrupt free and there should be minimal issues receiving a Police Certificate from the Criminal Records Bureau for those that need it as a visa requirement.
But yes I agree having the need for visas to work here is a good solid idea, not sure I would use the word lovely though.

There'd be no issues at all if you needed a clean PCC for a work visa if you had a record, so long as you got the money - it's the developing world - it's just how it works.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
According to the (pro Remain) Times, Bercow ignored the advice of the clerks and surprised even those proposing this amendment by allowing a vote.

You can certainly see why so many morally bankrupt types in parliament were prepared to overlook/ignore the numerous complaints about his bullying behaviour just so they had a fellow Remainer in place to help in their attempts to stop Brexit.

Excellent piece of Moggery today in the House with his procedural knowledge and a point of order to the speaker.

Well that didnt confuse everyone much :lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Make your mind up. One minute you state Brexit wont happen and that we will remain in the EU and the next Brexit will happen and when we are out we will commence trade negotiations with the US like lambs to the slaughter……with an added “ mark my words” and “this will happen”
Can you not resolve your own internal confusion first before posting.

It must be very confusing for you. Sorry about that.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Another Tory MP Richard Harrington said pretty much the same as this to Mark Austin on Sky News earlier if the Withdrawal Agreement that he's going to vote for is voted down by Brexiteers too. I suspect they're not the only ones.

[tweet]1083116256935534592[/tweet]

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It must be very confusing for you. Sorry about that.

Umm ...im not confused at all you wally. I can see clearly your brain thinks,at the same time,that Brexit will both not happen and will happen.
You are now confused about your own self inflicted confusion. Have another pot noodle, you need the brain food.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Nope, I said checking up on people whose intention was to live or work here long term, months after they had crossed the border anyway, when their intention is already known to stay here long term and work is not proper or adequate border control.

What about Irish people?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
What about them? There have been preferential travel arrangements with the Irish since the 1920`s.
Dont see why that should change.Do you want our immigration relationship with the Irish changed and hardened?

No, I don't want it changed and hardened for any EU states though. I don't see why our arrangements with the rest of the EU should change but clearly, you do, what is it about the Irish that means for them, what we do is adequate?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
No, I don't want it changed and hardened for any EU states though. I don't see why our arrangements with the rest of the EU should change but clearly, you do, what is it about the Irish that means for them, what we do is adequate?

We have a long standing history of preferential travel with the republic,a historical preference(bar some well known occasions) that works pretty well with a nation of under 5 million ,which bit of that dont you understand.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here