Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
thats not true though, there are many other actors involved, those that leaked the draft, those that published and put their spin on it. she doesnt have the input to box herself in, the process is driven by the EU imposed sequence of events so theres these mid-process dead lines, road blocks along the way.

Jesus. Please stop bleating. You decided to leave so it’s up to you to sort it out. May decided she wanted the top job; no one forced her. Man up and accept your responsibilities.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
found a source for future prosperity (things get lost so easily when events unfold), from the Independent yesturday morning:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-may-michel-barnier-david-davis-a8090561.html

RTE says the draft deal said: “In the absence of agreed solutions the UK will ensure that there continues to be no divergence from those rules of the internal market and the customs union which, now or in the future, support North South cooperation and the protection of the Good Friday Agreement.”

It adds that this paragraph was later amended to say there would be “continued regulatory alignment” on the island of Ireland.

not only was it leaked, it was changed from the text Ireland (a lot more sensitive to these matters than the EU) had agreed. and then theres the point that this covers the no agreement scenario, it is not part of the agreement. if people dont find it odd this has been changed, leaked and widely misinterpreted, they are being very naive about our EU tactics, as the Greeks warned us about.

Jan 30, 2008
Meanwhile, in the real world, the one where Brexit hasn’t collapsed or is ceasing to exist . The European Union Withdrawal Bill continues to proceed through parliament tonight in the early hours, with the gov winning the clause vote and defeating all the amendments again.
more good news then:thumbsup:
regards
DR

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
found a source for future prosperity (things get lost so easily when events unfold), from the Independent yesturday morning:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-may-michel-barnier-david-davis-a8090561.html

not only was it leaked, it was changed from the text Ireland (a lot more sensitive to these matters than the EU) had agreed. and then theres the point that this covers the no agreement scenario, it is not part of the agreement. if people dont find it odd this has been changed, leaked and widely misinterpreted, they are being very naive about our EU tactics, as the Greeks warned us about.

Nonsense. If the text had changed then Ireland don’t sign it off. If they did sign off something they hadn’t read then they’re stupid. Besides this is Britain’s mess to sort out. No one in Ireland* voted for this chaos. Stop blaming others and take ownership of the mess you have created.

Although some in Ulster did #TwoProfessors/Morons :lolol:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Jesus. Please stop bleating. You decided to leave so it’s up to you to sort it out. May decided she wanted the top job; no one forced her. Man up and accept your responsibilities.

I know I shouldn't but..... I'm starting to feel really sorry for Mrs May... she gets her game face on for a big good news announcement and once again everything crumbles to dust in her hands. She couldn't wait to take the job as PM but we have managed to have the most useless PM when we need an absolute political colossus to steer us out of this mess.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I know I shouldn't but..... I'm starting to feel really sorry for Mrs May... she gets her game face on for a big good news announcement and once again everything crumbles to dust in her hands. She couldn't wait to take the job as PM but we have managed to have the most useless PM when we need an absolute political colossus to steer us out of this mess.

What competent politician would commit career suicide with this. From the moment the result was announced they have all taken a large step backwards leaving the likes of TM, Boris, Davis and Gove, a dream team to match the dream of Brexit. (And most of them are trying to get out)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Nonsense. If the text had changed then Ireland don’t sign it off. If they did sign off something they hadn’t read then they’re stupid.

who said they had signed off? it was a draft and its reported that the original wording was agreed by the Irish, then changed. it hardly the fault of UK or Ireland if text are altered and leaked. dont you find it remotely suspicious this leaked, when the whole process has been kept so confidential (we still dont know the bill or what it covers, contentious issues for all sides)?

it will sort itself out, question is it be amicably or with the one of the harder exit scenarios, which becomes a more likely outcome with this sort of shenanigans.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

True. I’ve lost count of the times she’s made herself look a bit stupid. Her much trumpeted Florence speech did **** all. Her EU citizens speech when she challenged the EU and did not realising they’d already posted their thoughts a few days earlier was utterly bizarre and now she puts her best frock on and gets torpedoed by the weirdos from NI. Mind you, I’m thoroughly enjoying the cocksure swaggering David Davis getting cut down to size and totally owned; he really is a big nothing on the international stage.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
who said they had signed off? it was a draft and its reported that the original wording was agreed by the Irish, then changed. it hardly the fault of UK or Ireland if text are altered and leaked. dont you find it remotely suspicious this leaked, when the whole process has been kept so confidential (we still dont know the bill or what it covers, contentious issues for all sides)?

it will sort itself out, question is it be amicably or with the one of the harder exit scenarios, which becomes a more likely outcome with this sort of shenanigans.

Okay. If it wasn’t a final document then there’s no issue.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well if only the leavers had listened to former PM's like Major and Blair before the vote and how it would threaten the NI peace process and the very existence of the UK

My money is on staying in the customs union by another name, still had no one come up with the solution. Can't help but notice that Labour are lying low and the Lib Dems just waiting to be proven right

May is trying to do the impossible here trying to please the Irish, the loony Brexit right and a bunch religious fanatics

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well if only the leavers had listened to former PM's like Major and Blair before the vote and how it would threaten the NI peace process and the very existence of the UK

My money is on staying in the customs union by another name, still had no one come up with the solution. Can't help but notice that Labour are lying low and the Lib Dems just waiting to be proven right

May is trying to do the impossible here trying to please the Irish, the loony Brexit right and a bunch religious fanatics

I think this is the best option. Let the Tories totally destroy themselves and then step in.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
There’s plenty she could have done differently; not having the election would have been a start and would mean she wasn’t in-hock to the nutters from NI. But no, she held one and spectacularly misjudged the mood of the nation.

You can see why she called it though, if she is in hock to the DUP now she needed the election because her majority was razor thin and she'd only have been in hock to roaving Tory factions instead. It didn't work out but I get the point.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Sorry to say, as a brexiteer, that the party promising to honour the referendum is losing ground under their feet. T May for me has lost all credibility along with senior figures. They should have discussed this with the DUP and it appears they have not. Remarkable.

Staggering to think that the referendum was nearly 18 months ago. Looks like, unbelievably, history will be even harsher on May than it will be on her predecessor. Did they ever consider putting country before party?

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Oh sorry, I forgot about the people that just wander across from one side of the sea to the other, or perhaps have their village half on one side, half on the other. Or the country lanes that meander across from NI to Scotland and back again.

And as you choose to ask me if I'm Two Profs. in disguise. OK, I'll counter that with asking you if you're a fan of wee Krankie...........Jocko.

Everyone agrees that the NI problem has arisen because of the land border. No one is disputing it. Not you, me, TP, anyone. The issue is not this but the government's suggested solution, which involved giving one part of the UK a different sort of Brexit. As the SNP points out, this establishes a precedent. If one discrete part of the nation can be treated differently, why not others.

That is the issue. TP has a legendary reputation for failing to understand things. (It was Simster I think who had the last experience of this.) You seemed to be doing the same.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Ruth Davidson states that any 'regulatory alignment' must be UK wide.

[tweet]937972391577341952[/tweet]

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Canny politican

Best way to kill off Sturgeon's inde dream and she knows it.

Yep. Which was pretty much what Anna Soubry said yesterday. Quite a balancing act now for Mrs May: The Scottish Conservatives, Anna Soubry/Dominic Grieve etc v The DUP, Jacob Rees-Mogg/John Redwood and the other right-wing oddballs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here