Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
I think you may find he was being facetious.....

Metro (owned by the Mail) this morning stated that net immigration from outside the EU is over 200,000. These are the immigants we already have absolute control over, because that are from outside the EU (see what I dd there?). So why can't we control our borders now, and how will anything change after Brexit?

Its all bullshit. It always was all bullshit. Even Gove today admitted that the scare story he supported about hoards or Turks streaming into the UK because Turkey was about to join the EU was bollocks (his actual words were, to paraphrase, 'possibly missjudged, but hey ho').

But anyway....lets all work together and make Brexit work, eh?

I did realise that he was being sarky, just thought I'd reply anyway! And I realise you're too, but my response to your last sentence is "why?? We didn't vote for it so why the feck do we have to help these dreamers reach their utopia?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Good to see Japan are actively pushing for the respective parliaments to finalise procedures on this agreement and bring it into force before the Brexit date so the UK is included and will remain included during the implementation period in order to buy time to conclude a separate UK-Japan trade deal.
Win Win all round.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Well in my completely unscientific discussions with people across various educational and age groups, I have also found that the majority of old people who aren't well educated voted leave.

Being 58 and having left school with straight after GCE's, I find myself in a minority :smile:

That's because you are dumber than the dumbest and far too stupid to understand Leave.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
When you say we get our country back what does that actually mean? who is this collective we? Is the country going to be carved up and each of us will be given an equal share? We get our country back is just a slogan that means absolutely nothing in reality!

You can have the bit with all the toy planes in.Maybe you will shut up if you get your toys back.Shouldn't have thrown them out the pram.

D

Deleted member 22389

Well in my completely unscientific discussions with people across various educational and age groups, I have also found that the majority of old people who aren't well educated voted leave.

Being 58 and having left school with straight after GCE's, I find myself in a minority :smile:

What types of jobs did they do? How did you asses they where poorly educated.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
We get our country back

But but but I didn't realise we'd lost it, seems most of it is still here! What part did we lose?

When you say we get our country back what does that actually mean? who is this collective we? Is the country going to be carved up and each of us will be given an equal share? We get our country back is just a slogan that means absolutely nothing in reality!

:lolol::facepalm:

Friendly fire incident, you're all on the same side ffs!

We get our country back is a hilarious jibe used by remainers that was funny the first time and even more funny the next 500 times. The hilarity just never stops.

Nobody has ever said it on this thread in a serious context.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
From Dec 2017.

Liberal Democrats fined £18,000 over EU referendum campaign breaches

https://news.sky.com/story/liberal-...over-eu-referendum-campaign-breaches-11177197

We have got a right dogs dinner of a situation, a dysfunctional conniving backstabbing government with resignations everywhere, a lame duck PM being controlled by a bunch of utopian ideological fantasists with no grip on reality and a complete lack of rational and pragmatic thought, a parliament voting to go on holiday early because it’s all too much for them (in fact haven’t some MPs resigned over Brexit?), civil war in the Tory party (probably Labour too), an extended period of uncertainty in the economy that will be having negative effects, and the very real possibility (certainty) that things will be getting worse, much worse.

And how did we get in this situation, oh yeah lies and cheating from everyone all instigated by internal party politics.

What a ****ing omnishambles!

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
All this moaning about Referendum spending,and even with Cameroon and Osborne's £9 mill waste of paper,Project Fear,and spending way more than Leave,remoan still couldn't win it,the cheating bunch of spivs.Oh we're still Leaving!:lolol:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Oi you, not all older people voted out, I would like a breakdown of ages and voting records for the referendum.
In my experience there are loads of voters who when given the opportunity to vote against the current incumbent did so to hand out bloody noses, these voters are from all age groups! We as a nation are so completely intertwined with the EC that withdrawal is so complex and virtually impossible to negotiate that the prime minister of the day immediately resigned and basically said "feck you, you wanted it, you sort it " then galloped off into the sunset, what chance have we remainers got? The ones who wanted it just run away at any given opportunity when the going gets difficult, the hardliners want nothing but out and a return to the impossible dream of British Empire, their supporters on here are either away with the fairies or in maybe even one or two cases are indeed fairies, a good number of remainers just voted for the status quo, as the devil you know........ etc, and the more intelligent who could foresee the clusterfeck coming, I've still to be enlightened as to just what advantage there is in leaving, we get told it's to take back control but control of what? Stopping immigration, then we're told there has to be immigration to fill jobs that we cannot, so immigration will have to continue, make our own laws, we still have to follow EC law else we won't be able to trade with the EC, keeping the pound, we are anyway, blue passport instead of red! Please leavers tell me honestly what I've missed and what great advantage there is in leaving this massive trading bloc?

This post sums up the daftest of the remoaners. Utterly clueless as to why people voted to Leave so pick random reasons out of your arse. A return of British Empire?......Blue passports?.....Keep the pound? Are you really that dumb?
No wait, dont answer that, because you clearly are. When everyone else was talking about controlling immigration and managing the numbers that enter the UK from the EU, all you can see in your blinkered universe is "stopping immigration" completely. Its a special kind of bigoted stupid you and a handful of the thickest remoaners on here have on that topic to believe that.
Is there some sort of in-breeding programme going on that you lot arnt letting on about? Is the mutated daddy one of clueless wonders that actually agreed with your nonsense and gave you a thumbing?
Dont bother replying, save your braincells for choosing tonights pot noodle flavour.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I did realise that he was being sarky, just thought I'd reply anyway! And I realise you're too, but my response to your last sentence is "why?? We didn't vote for it so why the feck do we have to help these dreamers reach their utopia?

Indeed. The only reason to help te Brexiters would be to help prevent a hard Brexit, but this seems almost inevitable now, so any help I could offer would be on a par with any advice I might be able to give Ryan Giggs about Wales qualifying for the Euros....

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That's because you are dumber than the dumbest and far too stupid to understand Leave.

I hope your well braced, Lad. And have put aside some of your JSA because Birmingham is in for a rough, rough ride if we leave the EU...

Just take a look at what EU money has done for your city. It transformed it from concrete Hell-hole. Another reason I don't like Leave voters, ungrateful bunch of entitled yobs.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/eu-brexit-investment-birmingham-funding-11028563

1. The International Convention Centre

Cherie and Tony Blair with Bill and Hilary Clinton at the ICC in 1998
The EU chipped in £50 million towards the ICC and Symphony Hall which opened for business in 1991. It most famously welcomed global leaders, including Presidents Bill Clinton and Boris Yeltsin to the 1998 G8 Summit. Each year it hosts some 350 events including political and business conferences bringing hundreds of thousands of visitors to the city.

2. The NEC
National Exhibition Centre
National Exhibition Centre
There was further help for the city’s conference and exhibition industry with a £30 million cheque towards the refurbishment of the NEC - which of course is home to Crufts and many other major shows bringing thousands more to the city.

3. The West Coast Mainline
Virgin train
Virgin train (Image: Martin Keene/PA Wire)
Remember the upgrade of railway linking Birmingham to London, the North West and Scotland and reducing journey times in the process? The EU paid £66 million towards that.

4. Breaking the Concrete Collar

The demolition of Masshouse Circus
Those folks in Brussels helped Birmingham rid itself of one its biggest mistakes of the 1960s. It paid £9.1 million towards the redevelopment of Masshouse Circus in 2002, including the breaking of the Queensway flyover, known as the concrete collar, which had held back the expansion of the city centre for more than a generation.

5. The Town Hall

The inside of the Town Hall in Birmingham in order to help kids with autism.
Built in 1834 the Town Hall is the city’s premier historic building. But just over decade ago it was in a pretty sorry state, covered in soot and neglected. The EU, with a £3 million handout, was among a number of backers which saw it cleaned-up, its stonework restored and its interior refurbished and reopened in 2007.

6. Millennium Point
The Spitfire Gallery, Thinktank
The Spitfire Gallery, Thinktank
The home of the Thinktank Museum and Birmingham City University was completed in 2000, it was, through a £25.6 million investment, the the UK’s largest ERDF funded project at the time.

7. Innovation Hub

Over £6 million invested in Innovation Birmingham, the former Aston Science Park, bringing digital and high technology businesses and jobs to the city.

8. Jobs for young people

(Image: Pic: Gareth Fuller/PA Wire)
Only last month the city council accepted a £33 million EU social fund grant towards its scheme to get 16,000 Brummies, aged under 30, into employment .

9. Backing for business
Business
Business
Between 2007 and 2013, as the economy nose-dived, the European Regional Development Fund provided financial support for 24,910 West Midlands based businesses

10. The Assay Office
CGI of the converted Assay Office in Newhall Street
CGI of the converted Assay Office in Newhall Street
At the centre of Birmingham’s historic Jewellery Quarter is the Assay Office - one of the few places that precious metals can be tested and hall marked. Part of the cost of its expansion and relocation last year was covered with a £1.5 million EU grant.

11. MG Rover Task Force
Rover's Longbridge plant in Birmingham pictured in June 2003
Rover's Longbridge plant in Birmingham pictured in June 2003
The collapse of MG Rover in 2005 directly caused 6,000 redundancies, plus many further losses along the supply chains. The task force was set up to create jobs, invest and help get those workers back into employment. More than a third of its £176 million pot came from EU emergency funds.

12. University research
Chemistry apprentice
Chemistry apprentice
No wonder some of our universities are keen on the UK remaining in the EU. In the West Midlans alone between 2007 and 2013 universities benefited to the tune of about £260 million, funding research into health, food, energy, climate change and transport. They are receiving similar amounts under the new funding package.

13. Birmingham International Dance Festival
Performers at Birmingham's International Dance Festival
Performers at Birmingham's International Dance Festival
Grants totalling £741,000 over six years helped get the festival launched in 2008 and established. In 2014 the festival was estimated to be worth £2.6 million to the city’s visitor economy.

14. The African-Caribbean Millennium Centre

Chairman Martin Blissett outside the African-Caribbean Millennium Centre in Winson Green in 2004.
The EU gave £530,000 towards the setting up of this vital community centre in Winson Green.

15. The Nishkam Centre

Performance at the Nishkam Centre, Handsworth
The ERDF stumped up £2.5 million, of the £6 million cost of developing this facility for the Sikh community and wider population of Handsworth. It opened in 2006.

You really don't have the first clue what you have done.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I asked whether they could spell assess :shrug:

:laugh:

To be fair the spelling in one of my posts this afternoon is shambolic. I probably type more carefully after I've been drinking :facepalm:

It does astound me that someone has questioned your ability to judge whether a person of your acquaintance is or is not relatively well educated, insinuating that you have bound to have made some sort of schoolboy error, for example, confusing 'doctors' with 'dockers'.......you didn't, did you? :eek:

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Good to see Japan are actively pushing for the respective parliaments to finalise procedures on this agreement and bring it into force before the Brexit date so the UK is included and will remain included during the implementation period in order to buy time to conclude a separate UK-Japan trade deal.
Win Win all round.

How do you know Dr Fox doesn't have an even better deal already in the bag just for the UK?

D

Deleted member 22389

:laugh:

To be fair the spelling in one of my posts this afternoon is shambolic. I probably type more carefully after I've been drinking :facepalm:

It does astound me that someone has questioned your ability to judge whether a person of your acquaintance is or is not relatively well educated, insinuating that you have bound to have made some sort of schoolboy error, for example, confusing 'doctors' with 'dockers'.......you didn't, did you? :eek:

I just wish remainers would stop calling leavers thick, stupid and so on. I was called a turd, moron the other day, is it any wonder the quality of debate has gone down the toilet.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I just wish remainers would stop calling leavers thick, stupid and so on. I was called a turd, moron the other day, is it any wonder the quality of debate has gone down the toilet.

"That's because you are dumber than the dumbest and far too stupid to understand Leave." Two Professors, 15:00hrs, 17/07/2018

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Fair point; many of the comments posted on here are persistent stinkers that seem very hard to flush away. Mind you some of the posters are apparently clean round the bend.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
"That's because you are dumber than the dumbest and far too stupid to understand Leave." Two Professors, 15:00hrs, 17/07/2018

Thanks for sharing that. He's on my list so the original post went under my radar. Gratifying to see my filter is robust and justified.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here