Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Lord Adonis quits the government tonight in response to old Mother May's handling of Brexit
And IDS sticking the knife in for good measure.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Labour man quits committee. A terrible blow, better call the whole thing off. :D
Yes easy to dismiss. I somehow doubt Corbyn will be rejigging his shadow cabinet to fit him in. National infrastructure investment is the key to growth and prosperity, but don't let that distract you my myopic friend.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Lord Adonis quits the government tonight in response to old Mother May's handling of Brexit

IDS is sounding like one of Trumps tweets when he said of the departure of Lord Adonis

MP Iain Duncan Smith said the departure

"It's a bit rich for him to pontificate on what he calls populism, but what most would refer to as democracy, when he himself has never been elected by a public vote. He has instead relied on preferment from others."

What IDS fails to mention is that Lord Adonis was appointed by preferment by his own Chancellor the term could not organise a piss up in a brewery springs to mind

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
IDS is sounding like one of Trumps tweets when he said of the departure of Lord Adonis

"It's a bit rich for him to pontificate on what he calls populism, but what most would refer to as democracy, when he himself has never been elected by a public vote. He has instead relied on preferment from others."

What IDS fails to mention is that Lord Adonis was appointed by preferment by his own Chancellor the term could not organise a piss up in a brewery springs to mind

Ah yes, IDS. To adapt the great man's words, while most of us have to work hard to buy a house, he has instead relied on his father in law to provide one. Here we have the man caught inventing stuff for his CV, running a government department caught manipulating statistics and failing horribly to inspire the Conservative Party. A man who said that judges shouldn't hold politicians to account and who patronised 'people from the council estates' after the referendum. A fine Brexiteer some will think.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Ah yes, IDS. To adapt the great man's words, while most of us have to work hard to buy a house, he has instead relied on his father in law to provide one. Here we have the man caught inventing stuff for his CV, running a government department caught manipulating statistics and failing horribly to inspire the Conservative Party. A man who said that judges shouldn't hold politicians to account and who patronised 'people from the council estates' after the referendum. A fine Brexiteer some will think.
And never forget that he was the man who thought people could live on £53 a week but felt it ok to claim £39 for a breakfast on expenses.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

I only just noticed that although the BBC has this on its website as the top story on the late evening BBC News it was much further down the news worthy stories yet again the disconnect between the Establishment and the general public, the BBC website list of most read news is generated by the number of hits to that news item while the BBC News has a news editor which as we know is these days an Establishment appointment

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the hypocrisy of Adonis cant go uncommented. he says in his resignation letter that May's government is unable to function due to Brexit paralysis, that its distracting everything. yet on the radio this morning, did he talk about the obstacles for infrastructure, what he was trying to achieve but unable to progress, examples of indesicion or projects stuck? no, he spoke of campaigning to stay in and another referendum, generally on about Brexit, the very thing he says is the problem.:shrug:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
the hypocrisy of Adonis cant go uncommented. he says in his resignation letter that May's government is unable to function due to Brexit paralysis, that its distracting everything. yet on the radio this morning, did he talk about the obstacles for infrastructure, what he was trying to achieve but unable to progress, examples of indesicion or projects stuck? no, he spoke of campaigning to stay in and another referendum, generally on about Brexit, the very thing he says is the problem.:shrug:

You can disagree with his views but what is hypocritical about saying that Brexit is a problem and campaigning to stop it? Please explain.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
You can disagree with his views but what is hypocritical about saying that Brexit is a problem and campaigning to stop it? Please explain.

i thought i had. he claims brexit has taken over government, but only wants to talk about brexit himself. he could have explained on what brexit paralysis was preventing in delivery of infrastructure, but didnt mention it at all. rather than persevere with remit on infrastructure he wants to campaign on Brexit. he's part of the problem.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
i thought i had. he claims brexit has taken over government, but only wants to talk about brexit himself. he could have explained on what brexit paralysis was preventing in delivery of infrastructure, but didnt mention it at all. rather than persevere with remit on infrastructure he wants to campaign on Brexit. he's part of the problem.
Sure he focussed on his opposition to Brexit, but I heard him talk about the East Coast line decision. Don't know if you heard an edited version, but you can always check his resignation letter if you have selective memory.

Sent from my KFDOWI using Tapatalk

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
because the vote was for BREXIT and that's what's happening, wakey, wakey time to come out of the jungle !
regards
DR
That's fine. You're all for a hard Brexit and you'd rather people didn't campaign against it. I understand that. I also understand that your views are much more likely to prevail than Adonis's.

But that wasn't what was being talked about. I was simply asking another poster why he thought it was hypocritical for someone to campaign against something he thought was wrong.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Yes easy to dismiss. I somehow doubt Corbyn will be rejigging his shadow cabinet to fit him in. National infrastructure investment is the key to growth and prosperity, but don't let that distract you my myopic friend.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

I doubt it too, it's unusual to have a Lord in cabinet or shadow cabinet these days.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That's fine. You're all for a hard Brexit and you'd rather people didn't campaign against it. I understand that. I also understand that your views are much more likely to prevail than Adonis's.

But that wasn't what was being talked about. I was simply asking another poster why he thought it was hypocritical for someone to campaign against something he thought was wrong.

Ironic that the hard Brexiters on here accuse others of being undemocratic.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
But you wanted the referendum result vetoed ?

Yep. And happy to admit that would be undemocratic but essential for the good of the UK. A few toffs and a few council estaters from Barnesly might throw a hissy fit but us normal, middle class folk would be very happy in the knowledge it was for the greater good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here