Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
What part of South East London do you live.

If I missed a part of your post where you stated you were talking about SE London, and not the country as a whole, I apologise.

jfs

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
Again, that's not how democracy works.

It would be like a football match where one side needs to win by 3 goals to get the victory.
It's not uncommon to require super- majorities for a change. Else you could be changing every other year.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Whosh51

Aug 27, 2014
Get out and go it alone, there's a big world out there full of opportunities for those brave enough to cease the chance to move on. Without those in Europe who constantly see the UK as a means of bank rolling the failing economies of many countries in the EU.
The likes of Barnier, Junker and Tusk have made it perfectly clear that the UK is going to suffer one way or another their bully boy tactics will backfire and they will be left the poorer out of this.
The sooner this Brexit thing is over and we're out making our own rules, laws and decisions the better.
Remainers you lost the referendum get over it, look forward not back. Freedom 29/03/19

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
The irony for me, who reluctantly voted leave, was the reason I did it was the absolute horse shit spouted by remain - security being one example - plus the "I'm considerably more intelligent than you" attitude by some of the remainders. It's clear to me that we are paving the way for another referendum based on leave being like Qatar in the World Cup bidding when both sides were clueless and lying through their teeth. The debate, on both sides, was pathetic and Cameron has a lot to answer for with his X factor popularity vote in the 1st place.

That all said, whilst Brexit is here the country is going nowhere mired in an endless debate led by people who are either pretending to lead Brexit but never wanted it or wanted it in the 1st place but could never admit to it. I'd be severely tempted to change as there it's clear now we have no short term route out and no vision of what Britain is when we leave other than 'Brexit means Brexit'

Politics is broken at the minute.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Indeed, most of England voted to leave, it's only really London and the surrounds and Brighton and a few other small pockets that voted to remain. Look at a map of voter results and London and Brighton really are not representative of the rest of the country.

That's just silly. The map (of the majority per area that gave the outcome - not the view of every voter in each area) looks largely like labour/tory map - mostly big cities majority labour/remain and the shires tory/leave. To say that London and Brighton are not representitive of the rest of the country, 'most' of which voted to leave, is fake news. The outcome was almost 50:50 not 90:10 (whch is what I would understand by 'most').

Also, the present state of the NSC poll speaks for itself.....'the majority' would vote remail if the vote was had again. Not you, obviously, but that wasn't what the OP asked. Not for the first time I regret that NSC does not allow a moderator (well, you) to be put on ignore.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That's just silly. The map (of the majority per area that gave the outcome - not the view of every voter in each area) looks largely like labour/tory map - mostly big cities majority labour/remain and the shires tory/leave. To say that London and Brighton are not representitive of the rest of the country, 'most' of which voted to leave, is fake news. The outcome was almost 50:50 not 90:10 (whch is what I would understand by 'most').

Also, the present state of the NSC poll speaks for itself.....'the majority' would vote remail if the vote was had again. Not you, obviously, but that wasn't what the OP asked. Not for the first time I regret that NSC does not allow a moderator (well, you) to be put on ignore.

Well I agree with you the only result that matters is that we voted to leave.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
Lol. How can you claim it is "freedom" when it involves closing a tightening borders? It is less freedom.

Tightening borders doesn't mean you can't travel or enter countries. Just a little more selection of those that can cross borders. Have you a worry then on that score?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's not uncommon to require super- majorities for a change. Else you could be changing every other year.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Good point. Another very important issue that I had forgotten. The other reason why Cameron is our worst ever PM is that he did not include the safeguard that for there to be a change (Brexit) the majority would need to be 60:40, as is common with momentous change (and I think was the rule when we voted to join the common market). What an absolute slapdash amateur hour ******** Cameron was

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Again, that's not how democracy works.

It would be like a football match where one side needs to win by 3 goals to get the victory.

No it isn't. It is how major rule changes are commonly managed. Indeed in some situations a system allows a veto, or a black ball, whereby one dissenting vote scuppers the desires of everyone else. Sometimes this is wise. Your analogy is false.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Good point. Another very important issue that I had forgotten. The other reason why Cameron is our worst ever PM is that he did not include the safeguard that for there to be a change (Brexit) the majority would need to be 60:40, as is common with momentous change (and I think was the rule when we voted to join the common market). What an absolute slapdash amateur hour ******** Cameron was

Agree with you there HT

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Tightening borders doesn't mean you can't travel or enter countries. Just a little more selection of those that can cross borders. Have you a worry then on that score?

What is the justification for saying that a person born on this planet of ours should be restricted in where they can travel.

I can think of many economic arguments but very few, if any, moral ones.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1023567403974840325[/tweet]

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
What is the justification for saying that a person born on this planet of ours should be restricted in where they can travel.

I can think of many economic arguments but very few, if any, moral ones.

Did I touch a nerve? I do not want free movement just controlled movement.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Leavers refuse to participate in a "double or quits" vote. (Nothing to gain, everything to loose.) - so don't vote. - Many remainers don't vote also because it's pointless voting for what will be judged an illegal election.(Catalonia). Result:- 12 million remainers - 2 million leavers is meaningless (too low, distorted turnout). Back to square one!

So... they lose. Sounds like sulking to me. Because they absolutely know they would lose after the last 2 years.

I suspect that if May called a general election in November with a manifesto of a second referendum with a recommendation to vote remain, sacking any dissidents from governmental positions as needs be (she may have to do a Major and call a leadership election first, in September) she would smash Corbyn in a general election, and I would vote tory to help it happen.

But she won't. And we soldier on, with a fiasco Brexit on the cards and a lingering possibility that the racist Jeremy Corbyn might become PM next GE.

I was/am a largely Blairite, in case it isn't obvious (although his stance on giving state money to religious schools drove me to resign from the party). How I miss those relatively halcyon days, with Corbyn ignored in his Islington box, and successive public school tory twits (the 'quiet man' etc) left bereft.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here